Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is the k26/8 the best compromise between lag and power for a 944 S for street/ DE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:07 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Impressive!
Where did you get it?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:18 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought mine used but I think it originally came from Majestic.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was not from majestic. I bought the center cartridge from http://www.turbosdirect.com because I already had the turbonetics turbine and compressor housings. But I think you can get the same turbo from http://www.pauertuning.com/index.htm
Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob
It was not from majestic. I bought the center cartridge from http://www.turbosdirect.com because I already had the turbonetics turbine and compressor housings. But I think you can get the same turbo from http://www.pauertuning.com/index.htm
Thanks Rob. Pauer Tuning quit selling them I believe due to some kind of sourcing problem.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T04e 50 trim.

Or a 27/6 if you don't want to spend as much.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Thanks. That is simply too involved for me. I realize I have to be sensible and find the most durable bolt on solution to fit my mods.

I have spoken to Vitesse. His stealth options seem the best match for my needs. Unfortunately he requires a good core, which I don't have. Buying a k26/8 core to be reworked by him is too expensive for me.

Can you recommend any other bolt on alternatives?
I may have a very good core for you back in norway.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Interesting. Do you mind PM'ing the details?
By the way. What do you think of Turbo Service's "flow prep"?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Interesting. Do you mind PM'ing the details?
By the way. What do you think of Turbo Service's "flow prep"?
PM sent.

As for Turbo services i have no experience with them . But i have seen many threads with good feedback on the norwegian porsche club forums. So im afraid i cant help you to much there.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 AM
brrgrr
Racer

+2 for Charlie at Evergreen. I would go with a k27/6. Charlie will build what he calls a "big 6" hot side that spools super fast but doesn't have the backpressure problems. The K27 compressor will make more power than the k26 compressor at 16 psi.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

This is not directed at any one in particular, but is perhaps an open question to myself and others.

I've been thinking about what's been covered in this thread and I don't quite understand how old turbo technology can be made to both spin up as fast or faster than stock and make more power up top at the same time. If you can simply swap the parts around then why did they not do this in the first place? After all the 944 turbo was criticized for lag back in it's day as well.

I guess I expected new technology to perhaps be able to achieve an expansion of working range. I thought perhaps Ball Bearings, exotic materials and CFD design could achieve the same spool but with a slightly better top end, but I did not expect the gains mentioned here. One can almost get the impression that any good "turbo guy" can make something which is way better than stock. Is it really that easy?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well on my turbo (which is quite large) sees 15 psi around 4000 rpm (not exactly but around there) but because its dual ball bearing, my engine sees 2 psi at around 1500 when i put my foot down. With the stock turbo i couldn't even do that and saw 15 psi at 2800 rpm.

It's got a lot to do with weight, bearings, turbine style, compressor style & turbine housings also
Old 10-31-2011, 12:46 PM
brrgrr
Racer

The newer technology is better, no question. When you specify "bolt-on" - and factor in cost - the options are limited.

The K27-7200 compressor came out well after the 944 Turbo was out of production, so it was not an option when they developed the Turbo S. So it is "newer" technology, in a way.

The GT and GTX series ball bearing turbos will be even better, but bolt on is not an option.

You can search the forum and find all kinds of debate on the #6 vs. the #8 hotside.

For a street turbo that may see limited DE or autocross, you will basically end up at one of two options:

k27/6 (or 8)
TO4e 50 trim / 8 The 8 will be a turbonetics replica with a stage III wheel.

Both turbos will make 15 psi boost on a 4th gear roll around 3200 rpm and both will hold 18+ psi boost to redline.

I ended up with a K27/ "big 6" turbo from Charlie at evergreen and given the relatively low cost, it is a wonderful turbo.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:09 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I'm learning every time i visit this thread.

Could it be that I'm more sensitive to lag than you guys are considering the only time I make it to fifth gear is on the track? The roads here are so narrow and windy, and the prison sentence you could get simply for accelerating into 4th. gear so long that I spend most of the time building boost not working with it

It is clear that I don't completely understand how boost is built and how it works. I'll have to read up on it I guess. How can two turbos at 15 psi produce more or less power?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the A-Tune and M-Tune will help a lot off boost. i wouldn't be scared to go slightly more laggy turbo.

just for an example, my car now probably accelerates quicker even though it lags around 1000 rpm more. but i wouldn't use my turbo for auto-X
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
brrgrr
Racer

Horsepower can be quite different at the same boost---
the compressors can be operating at two very different efficiency levels depending on the compressor size and design. ie - different points on the "compressor map"

See the link below for some dyno comparisons that make the point.

http://www.tonygarcia.org/dyno.htm

Quick Reply: Is the k26/8 the best compromise between lag and power for a 944 S for street/ DE?