Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is the k26/8 the best compromise between lag and power for a 944 S for street/ DE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:46 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is the k26/8 the best compromise between lag and power for a 944 S for street/ DE?

As I need a new turbo (see other thread) I might as well consider my options again. The k26/8 actually seems like a good compromise between power and lag, especially with Rogues tune. I was impressed at the power the car put out when boosting around 14-15 PSI with the stock k26/8.

What's the max recommended boost to run with this stock turbo?

Also are there any modern alternatives on the market which can match the stock turbo in terms of lag and maintain boost up top?

Target is to make the most from the following mods:
Widefire HG, ceramic coated valve stems, Rogue's A tune, ceramic coated headers and X-pipe. Ceramic coated intake and IC pipes, 3BAR FPR, 3" stainless ceramic coated exhaust with no cat and a LR dual port WG with MBC.

I have Wideband AFR for safety and will install datalogging later

Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a to4e 50 trim with a kkk #8 hot housing will match a k26/6 in spool up and deliver 350 rwhp on 17-18 psi.

Vitesse turbos are on of the best as far as i know.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If budget is a consideration at all, call Charlie at Evergreen. He builds a 26/8 with a slightly larger Garrett impeller. That's what is in my track car, and I could not be happier. He does a few things to them which helps them respond better, as well - he hand builds each one, which allows tighter tolerances than an off the shelf mass production one, and he lightens both the impeller and turbine. It spools faster than a stock 26/6, at least from my experience.

Having said that, I'd love a new Garrett GTX series turbo for my street car. They just aren't cheap.

Another thing to consider - injectors (if you go bigger).
Old 10-30-2011, 11:06 AM
blown 944
Race Car

2871 or 3071 depending on how much power you want to make. Personally though, I'm a fan of durability and Holset owns in that department.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Durability should be on top of my list.
What makes Holset the better choice for durability?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King

Having said that, I'd love a new Garrett GTX series turbo for my street car. They just aren't cheap.
awesome turbo! alot more quieter spool.

Originally Posted by blown 944
2871 or 3071 depending on how much power you want to make. Personally though, I'm a fan of durability and Holset owns in that department.
installing garrett turbos require a lot of mods and by the sound of things i doubt he wants to go down that path.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 AM
blown 944
Race Car

The internals are much stronger Ie; hardened steel thrust plate vs aluminum, larger bearings, greater oiling capacity, better turbine sealing ring, stronger material used for turbine wheel.
I have just abused this turbo beyond belief (see drag videos) and it keeps on spinning. I had many garretts before and none of them could handle it.

It is a very custom deal but you could do it yourself as the holsets are component balanced.

If I were building a 350-400 hp Holset street turbo I'd use;

7 blade hx 35 comp wheel
Hy turbine wheel (close to stg 3)
Hx center section
Garrett .63 hotside for either stg 3or stg 5 depending on whether you use Hy or hx turbine wheel.
You can even use a kkk replica 8cm

There is minimal machining involved but well worth it for a durable, responsive turbo. I have personally test fit all of these parts together so I know it will work. I just need a bigger turbo for my cat or that is what I'd be running.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:30 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your explanation. It seems a bit too much for me though. I'm not planning on exceeding 15-16 PSI.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:04 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

So how much are we talking about and how much modding is involved?
Is there even any point dreaming of such a turbo for the lowish amount of power I'm looking for?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
So how much are we talking about and how much modding is involved?
Mine was $1400 + the rear housing another $400 (they don't come with rear housings)

mods: grinding the turbo mount, and the top lug on the compressor housing. adapt water fittings. modified Xover and custom down pipe. and a few other things.

have a look at my thread, I've pretty much went though everything i did to get it to bolt on.
if any questions just post on the tread and i'll be happy to answer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...art-video.html
Old 10-30-2011, 12:29 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks. That is simply too involved for me. I realize I have to be sensible and find the most durable bolt on solution to fit my mods.

I have spoken to Vitesse. His stealth options seem the best match for my needs. Unfortunately he requires a good core, which I don't have. Buying a k26/8 core to be reworked by him is too expensive for me.

Can you recommend any other bolt on alternatives?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure on the build of your car... is it a turbo'd 944 S? or a 951?

This is my spool up with a 26/8 and the Mtune with a tial and test pipe. 4th gear pulls.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:55 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Thanks. That is simply too involved for me. I realize I have to be sensible and find the most durable bolt on solution to fit my mods.

I have spoken to Vitesse. His stealth options seem the best match for my needs. Unfortunately he requires a good core, which I don't have. Buying a k26/8 core to be reworked by him is too expensive for me.

Can you recommend any other bolt on alternatives?
Trust me, give Charlie a call. It won't cost you anything to call. Well, from Norway, okay. Or shoot him an e-mail, that'll be free. The cost of the turbo will probably be half what the cost of a GT series will be, and it WILL bolt on without more expenses. You can reference Harry King's turbos (one is the 26/8 w/ a Garrett wheel, the other is a 27/8 with a Holset wheel) so he knows which setup you are talking about. They will bolt on and make you very happy. He won't need a core, either.

I really like John's stuff, too. He really knows what he is doing. I only mention that in case someone reads this later, as you've already ruled him out.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:22 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure on the build of your car... is it a turbo'd 944 S? or a 951?
A 951. More specifically it's a 1990 Turbo, meaning the same specs as the Turbo S model.

I'll definitely contact him, but for the time being I'm only contemplating my options. As I've said in a different thread I've had three turbos implode on me in for three different reasons in the past three years. I've only been able to put on 1500miles since I got the car in 2009 due to this, so whatever I install must be reliable. I'm getting kinda sick of messing around in that tight space.

At least I have a set of options, which is nice. I may get a warranty replacement turbo to replace the last rebuilt unit (loose compressor nut). In that case I might keep it, have it upgraded or sell it and buy a new upgraded one. I won't be able to decide until I hear from the shop who built it.

What about LR super turbos? The super 48 sounds tempting, or will it be too laggy for me?

Last edited by bebbetufs; 10-30-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:55 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
a to4e 50 trim with a kkk #8 hot housing will match a k26/6 in spool up and deliver 350 rwhp on 17-18 psi.\
+1

http://refresh951.com/Dyno.htm

Quick Reply: Is the k26/8 the best compromise between lag and power for a 944 S for street/ DE?