Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Using an SFR turbo oil outlet adapter plate and restrictor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using an SFR turbo oil outlet adapter plate and restrictor?

Just got an adapter plate for the oil outlet and a restrictor, both for use with a Garrett hybrid.

The restrictor is straight forward to use although the hole look really small.... (it's not a DBB turbo).

The adapter plate is pretty thick, 1/4", so it will move the turbo upwards.
Does anyone know if the SFR turbos are machined down to use this thick adapter?
The used SFR turbo I have seems to have used some type of adapter, you can see the traces of an o-ring

Does anyone have picture of the oil outlet hole on the original KKK turbo and the hole in the turbo mount?

/Dea
Attached Images    
Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I assume that's a Garrett T3/T4 CHRA, often if not always used to make Garrett/KKK hybrids.
In that case I don't think you will need the adapter between the turbo and the mount.

Can you post a global pic of the CHRA?

The compressor cover doesn't seem to be correctly indexed, as there shouldn't be a bolt at this place.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Originally Posted by Thom
I assume that's a Garrett T3/T4 CHRA, often if not always used to make Garrett/KKK hybrids.
In that case I don't think you will need the adapter between the turbo and the mount.

Can you post a global pic of the CHRA?

The compressor cover doesn't seem to be correctly indexed, as there shouldn't be a bolt at this place.
It is an SFR stg 2 turbo. I bought it used and it was taken off a 951 so the indexation should be correct.

There are some threads on the forum recommending this type of adapter plate, https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-question.html , and since it's an SFR turbo I just assumed that an SFR adapter plate would work....

/Dea
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have no experience with turbos from SFR, but in doubt I would measure how the turbine inlet sits in function of the bottom of the mount and compare the measures with the standard KKK turbo.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That adapter plate will move the turbo. Just use the gasket below and it will fit better. It makes a good seal that will not leak.
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...e+Turbo+Gasket
Old 11-15-2011, 08:13 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

I don't see the point of that adapter plate, except to maybe raise the turbo so it clears the alternator shroud. The problem I see with this idea is that it would then possibly not clear the intake manifold. On the T04E that was on my car, I had to slightly grind down the compressor housing to get it to fit under the intake without issue. The oil return shim I had was very thin... 1/8''?

Here's a picture of the mount.

The adapter piece you have wouldn't be beneficial in facilitating the oil drain from a square hole to a round one...

I would get a paper T3/T4 oil drain gasket, like Brian said, and call it a day. Keep the flattened, old O Ring on the mount, and just place the gasket on top. I believe LR doesn't even use those gasket on their Garrett hybrids, the rationale being that the square is actually smaller than the diameter of the circle, so if it's mounted right, it should drain right in.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Just putting a gasket on top of the O ring (per Tim @ SFR) did not solve my leaking issues, it actually made it worse. The gasket from Turbonetics (in my case) has a very thin wall on one side and eventually crushed and squeezed out the side. My leak was awful. I just got finished making an adapter plate from .065, 6160 aluminum to put on top of the O ring then made a gasket the same size as the plate from .065 gasket material. Went together very easily and everything bolted up as normal. I will report back after my next race in December.
Sorry I don't have pics.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles, that is pain to replace. Mine sealed right up and I have done it twice. THere are a lot of companies making these gaskets. I even found a copper one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-TURBO-...296507&vxp=mtr

Other sources of gaskets that look "thick".
http://www.lceperformance.com/Turbo-...-p/1072051.htm
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...sket_t3_t4.htm
Old 11-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Originally Posted by Thom
I have no experience with turbos from SFR, but in doubt I would measure how the turbine inlet sits in function of the bottom of the mount and compare the measures with the standard KKK turbo.
Normally I would do that but I'm having a shop swap it for me so I want make sure they have the correct parts.

Did the indexation look correct?

Originally Posted by onspeed
I don't see the point of that adapter plate, except to maybe raise the turbo so it clears the alternator shroud. The problem I see with this idea is that it would then possibly not clear the intake manifold. On the T04E that was on my car, I had to slightly grind down the compressor housing to get it to fit under the intake without issue. The oil return shim I had was very thin... 1/8''?

Here's a picture of the mount.

The adapter piece you have wouldn't be beneficial in facilitating the oil drain from a square hole to a round one...

I would get a paper T3/T4 oil drain gasket, like Brian said, and call it a day. Keep the flattened, old O Ring on the mount, and just place the gasket on top. I believe LR doesn't even use those gasket on their Garrett hybrids, the rationale being that the square is actually smaller than the diameter of the circle, so if it's mounted right, it should drain right in.
This turbo has a T04B housing so there should be no clearance issues except for the temp sensor.
Where did you get the thin shim?

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Sorry to hear about your troubles, that is pain to replace. Mine sealed right up and I have done it twice. THere are a lot of companies making these gaskets. I even found a copper one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-TURBO-...296507&vxp=mtr

Other sources of gaskets that look "thick".
http://www.lceperformance.com/Turbo-...-p/1072051.htm
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...sket_t3_t4.htm
I think I'll simply get these gaskets as well and leave them to the shop as back-up options....

Thanks for all the info!

/Dea
Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What if you have a ring machined to fit in the O-ring groove? That should give you a flat deck for the other oil seal.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using a similar turbo, a 60-1 Hifi sourced from SFR (the stage 3). The restrictor is normal, looks the same as the one i have on mine. The way it was explained to me is these cars run much higher oil pressure than most.. 5-bar vs the typical 3-bar. Plus the triple-k bearings have different oil requirements.

I did not use an adapter on mine. Kept the old drain o-ring on and used the paper gasket ontop. I put a little hylomar sealant on it to make sure it didnt leak.. dont think its an issue though as there is no oil pressure on that oil drain. This is what i was told to do by who i bought the turbo from, and as i understand it common practice for other aftermarket turbo's fit on these cars.

Picture of the restrictor.

The only thing i did was use the LR oil feed line with the inline filter, thats why i have the adapter plate on the top.

Turbo is holding up pretty well, it was formally on Wormhole's car which was track only many moons ago, i have put about 20k+ miles on it. I believe Mike M. has the same turbo on his car.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

I bought a couple of gaskets, copper and some type of thicker graphite/paper, see the pictures.

Thickness:

Adapter plate 6.6mm or 1/4"
Copper gasket 1.6mm or 2/32"
Normal gasket 1.1 mm or app 3/64"

I'm thinking that using a new o-ring on the turbo mount, then the copper gasket and then the normal gasket would make the best combination?

/Dea
Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would replace the O ring and go with the normal or copper gasket. I would not use both.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I went with a new o-ring and normal gasket. No leaks anymore! Leaked horribly with just a new o-ring.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same fitment issue with the Vitesse Stage 2 I put on my car - it had the square opening on the turbo that didn't match the round one. I replaced the turbo gasket because I had one in a kit I bought...but it was probably senseless and then I used that paper gasket and it sealed up nice - no leaks for me.

Quick Reply: Using an SFR turbo oil outlet adapter plate and restrictor?