Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What happens if you get water in the engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 05:17 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, you'd have to dump quite a bit of water into the engine in order to hydrolock it; at least 30cc or more.

One thing you can try is when the engine is cool, make a mark on the side of the coolant expansion tank of the water level. Monitor it over the course of a week or two with lots of vapor coming out the back to see if the level goes down.

I've dumped enough water into my exhaust system from a blown headgasket that car was steaming out the exhaust for over a week!
Old 01-13-2003, 02:40 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brian, RE: boat exhaust leak backs.

But that is an aged system problem. I was trying to lay out the basic difference to keep things clear. Teach the basics, then get into the real world.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:37 AM
Porscheman101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I believe i have gotten all of the water out of my exhaust. Today, after i started my car to go to school, i looked in my exhaust and noticed water actually streaming from my exhaust.

Man i must have had alot of water in my engine.
So i drove it around a while and smoke still came from my exhaust, but no water. I figured that the water was just burned off because of the high temps in the exhaust.

So driving it around helped it alot. Now i have no water coming from my exhaust after a cool engine start and little smoke as well.

Hopefully this good luck will last.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:03 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That liquid water you saw from the exhaust is just water formed by the combustion process and the catalytic converter. You will usually see that until the exhaust system heats up. This is one of the reasons short drives are hard on the car. If you don't get the exhaust hot enough that liquid water will sit in your muffler and rust it out from the inside.

Quick Reply: What happens if you get water in the engine