Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What happens if you get water in the engine

Old 01-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What happens if you get water in the engine

What happens if you get water in the engine?

What do you have to do to fix this problem.

And should i be worried. The engine runs fine but white smoke comes out of the exhaust.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:12 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

How did you get water into the engine? I can't see you getting so much water in there that it would not just burn off in a couple of seconds. It sounds more like a head gasket problem to me if you are getting continuous smoke.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

It happened when i was flushing out my intercooler. There was apparently still water in the intercooler when i started it again and took it for a drive.

When i got back my car was smoking, and there was water all over the intercooler line going into the intake.

Guese those things are not water proof but air proof.

Anyway could i change my oil to fix this?

I changed it the day it happened. $50 oil change.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:34 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

So if you run the car at idle it smokes? Or only when on the boost? I would make sure all of the water is out of the intercooler before you run the car again.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

It smokes at idle. and not sure about under boost.

has a water burned smell to it as well.
Im just wondering how long it would take to get out of my engine.

Also will changining my oil help this process?
Old 01-11-2003, 10:46 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I can't see the engine holding a lot of water and still run ok except in with the oil and I don't see that causing a lot of smoke. Did you look at your dipstick and in the oil filler cap for signs of water or milkshake substance? Does your oil show an excess amount on the dipstick?
Old 01-11-2003, 10:48 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try sucking any remaining water out of the intercooler with a shopvac and hope that is where the water is coming from.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you run a boat with an inboard engine for any length of time, this problem comes up because water can get into the exhaust ports through the water-cooler exhaust manifolds and winds up in the oil. This has happen to me on several occasions and the engine is still running normal.

The best solution is to run the engine long enough to boil to excess water out of the oil/engine. If a large amount of water is in the oil, change the oil first. As long as it is fresh water without salt or anti-freeze it will not be a problem but, it must be removed in a timely manner.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

Ok.
So if i were to change my oil again what is the best type of oil to use on an upgraded car engine.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:46 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why you guys are making such a big deal about this if it was just some water left over in the intercooler from flushing.

Performance boosted cars *frequently* inject water directly into the intake to cool down the air charge as the water flashes to steam. NO PROBLEM. I believe Danno is working on a water injection kit for 951s as we speak.

The problem with ingesting water is getting huge enough slugs to hydrolock the engine - so much water in the chamber that the piston can't reach the top of the stroke since it can't compress water. Usually you only run into this if you drive the car into a river or deep pool and put the intake underwater.

And don't worry about or bother changing the oil, it is just fine if all you had was this intercooler situation.

Now the boat experience is a totally different situation. In marine installations it is quite common to inject water into the exhaust after the exhaust manifold. This is to cool off the exhaust line so you can run the exhaust piping through the interior of the engine compartment and overboard without having a problem worring about heat from hot exhaust pipes. You can put your hand on a water injected exhaust line easy.

But there can be problems with this if the system is not laid out properly either due to poor design, application constraints, or the boat being subjected to unusual enviroments. With the engine off it is possible for water to run back down the exhaust line and into the cylinders where it sits. And leaks past the piston rings into the crankcase and the oil. I've built injected exhaust systems for sailboats, so take my word, it is a whole different problem than what you can run into with land based vehicles.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:04 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Yeah IceShark but he says the car is still smoking and thinks water is sitting inside the engine some where. It sounds like he has a different problem to me.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

Ok i took out the intercooler and made sure there was no water left over inside.
Still was when i took i off.

I havent started it since this happened.
What i need to know is if chainging my oil will help the water get out of my engine.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:33 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"> Ok i took out the intercooler and made sure there was no water left over inside.
Still was when i took i off.

I haven't started it since this happened.
What i need to know is if changing my oil will help the water get out of my engine </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Ok,if you still had water in the intercooler then that would explain the white smoke from the exhaust, but that would have nothing to do with water in the oil, that is most likely from condensation which we all have during cooler weather ( milkshake in the oil cap ) just bring the car up to full operating temperature and the condensation will burn off, but the condensation will be there all winter.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check the oil level, if it is close to the full mark you do not need to change the oil (unless it was 2 quarts low to start). Then make sure that there isn't enough water (It takes a fair amount, several cups at least) of water in the intercooler to cause hydrolock as Iceshark stated above. Also, as David Floyd stated, a shopvac will slowly remove most of the remaining water from the intercooler. Since you have started the engine and I am assuming it cranked correctly (didn't crank like a high compression V8) there wasn't enough water in the engine to cause a problem. I would then drive the car for one hour.

This will do the following:
-Remove any water that is in the exhaust
-Boil off the water in the oil
-Remove any remaining water from intercooler system.

BTW. Iceshark didn't mention the main reason for getting water into a boat engine from the exhaust manifold. The water jacket starts leaking directly into the exhaust cavity due to oxidation of the metal.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

Allright thank you all so much.
I will try this tonight and post my findings tonight as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happens if you get water in the engine