Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CCW wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 12:41 PM
belz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have three sets of CCW for my race 951 and love 'em. 18x10 at all four corners. Strong, relatively light weight and purposeful looking & built.
They are not hubcentric like factory wheels. From a track perspective when you're removing and installing frequently they have steel lug inserts. (factory alloy wheels & other aftermarket wheels tend to wear and the lug holes get larger or out of round)
... And yes all this and they're affordable ... don't hesitate they're worth more than the price tag! John's the man ....
Old 11-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

Does that fact that CCW wheel are not hub centric cause any concerns?
Old 11-10-2002, 06:28 PM
belz
Instructor

Thumbs up

Hubcentric:Not really ... just need to pay a little more attention to lugnut tourque upon installation.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:48 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

anyone got a pic of the "large 30 bolt center" in black on a guarss red car.....i agree that would look quite nice
Old 11-10-2002, 09:47 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What exactly does hubcentric mean? Google yielded a bunch of garbage...

EDIT:

further googling yielded:

<a href="http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/centerb.htm" target="_blank">http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/centerb.htm</a>
Old 11-10-2002, 10:59 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it isn't hub-centric I wouldn't touch it. Sorry but installing wheels that aren't hub-centric is a total b1tch and I saw too many customers come back with vibration problems after installing custom wheels that weren't hub-centric. If you're INTENT on wheels like these then I offer the following advice: get some hub rings to fill the gap [makes installation much easier and reduces vibration] and always torque the lugs with the wheel completely off the ground [have someone else step on the brake and for rear wheels do NOT use the parking brake].
Old 11-11-2002, 01:32 AM
belz
Instructor

Talking

Never had a "vibration" problem, or any problem for that matter .... I do tighten the wheels while off the ground and torque and re-torque.
Considering the substantial cost savings and the quality of the wheel overall (overbuilt) ... the "lug-centric" design is only a small inconvenience ... IMHO.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:18 PM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Even though John says they are lug centric, mine are a very tight fit on the hub. I doubt that my stock wheels came that tight. Never a single vibration since I have owned them either.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, if the lug-holes have tight tolerances, there shouldn't be any issues with centering the wheel. Also if you tighten the lug-nuts gradually in a star-pattern, the rounded mating surfaces should ensure that the wheel is centered.

"What type of wider bodywork are you going to install? are you going to go with wider fenders. If i was going to go with wider bodywork, i would try to retrofit 968 fender flares to the stock bodywork or fiber/carbon fenders. I have seen it on a 944 race car, and it look great IMO. I would also install a 968 rear, 968 turbo S rear wing, 968 side skirts, Clear GT headlights, front carbon splitter, 968 door handles/mirrors."

Yeah, I like the 968 front-end too. I've always thought that the 951 front-end was too square. The fog/driving-lights are square. Everything is laid out on a square grid. The grill-openings, the bumper, the front profile outline is square.

But... I'm into function over aesthetics, so I'm thinking of getting GT's carbon-fibre fenders. But those are 2" wider and I only need 1" (less air-resistance). AIR has 1" wider fenders, but only in fibreglass.

One pet-peeve I have with both designs is that they just take the stock fender and pull it outwards. This causes the sloping surface above the fender to not slope at the same angle (more horizontal). I really want a set of fenders where it takes the sloping top and continues outward at the same angle. This means that the top of the fender will be at a lower point where it meets the vertical outer fender surfaces.

Who knows, I might just make my own out of sheet-metal for that 'stock' appearance and construction...
Old 11-12-2002, 12:23 AM
sean bartsch
Instructor

I agree that the 951 is pretty square. But i guess you have to look at what erra the car was made in. The 80s where known for flip up headlights and square bodywork. It looks like that stlye my pick up again, not realy the flip up headlights, but the square bodywork. Take a look at the new lamborghini.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:11 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the 951 front end... I think its the sexiest part of the car. I would love a 968 with a 951 front end...mmmm. Why has this not been done?!?
Old 11-12-2002, 05:37 AM
tecart
Pro

would anyone, i mean anyone not be willing to trade in their 944 for a 968 turbo s, im talking strickly the body and such, i thought so, im going that route for my next project
Old 11-12-2002, 07:36 AM
Redeye
Racer

Broadfoot Racing has 2 wide body kits as well. One of the kits uses a modified 968RS style of fender. Here is a copy of the e-mail that I recieved from them along with some photos...

Dear Dan
Yes, we do have two different wide body kits available for the 944. the following kits are fiberglass. Carbon Fiber is available for additional cost (call for current pricing).

1) Kit includes: Front & rear fenders nad nose w/ built-in splitter. PRICE.....$1800
REQUIRES PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION BY QUALIFIED BODY SHOP. THIS IS A RACE KIT WE USE ON OUR RACE CARS. MINOR FIBERGLASSING MAY BE REQUIRED AND MOUNTING TABS MUST BE FABRICATED.

2) **NEWEST KIT** Modified 968RS style fenders modified to work on 944 body. Requires very little fitment, but does require professional installation. Kit includes: front & rear fenders, stock style front nose w/ built-in splitter, and side skirts. PRICE: $1900 *Optional* Front fenders complete with RS flares molded in. PRICE: $100 Additional (with kit)

EITHER KIT REQUIRES CUTTING, MODIFYING & INSTALLATION OF NEW TIRE WELLS AT REAR.

Body Kits Must be Paid in Advance and are ready to Ship 1-2 Weeks From Order.

Both Kits Have a 30 Day Money Back Warranty minus 20% Restocking Fee. No Refunds on Shipping.

Thank you for your interest. Let me know if I can help further.

Kelli
Broadfoot Racing
(904) 722-0777

I kinda like the 968 fender flares.

Dan
Old 11-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

Getting back to the CCW wheels, I e-mailed John Purner last night and got his response this morning.

He says, "race wheels are $1,760 per set, ARE hub centric, and come either polished or black anodized, and take 1 to 2 weeks to build depending on finish."

I asked about options, but he did not elaborate.

This is a big decision, I need to know more about his options, or more photos or both.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:26 PM
sean bartsch
Instructor

Those 968 fender flares are exactly what I was talking about. I would throw in a 968 rear and I think it would look pretty good. Smooth lines on the 968, and the aggressive front of the 951. I think it’s a good paring. $1,760 sounds great for a set of his wheels. But I agree switching my wheels would be a big step and I would like to see more pics of them installed on 951s from different angles. As far as what people are saying about them, they sound like exactly what im looking for.

Quick Reply: CCW wheels