Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Remove or not to remove engine!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Gerd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove or not to remove engine!

Hello Rennlister’s I have a 1986 951 which I haven’t driven for two years. When I stopped driving it the throwout bearing was making noise on each depression of the clutch. So I am planning to replace the clutch (probably the original), throwout bearing, and clutch fork. Also replace the motor mounts with CEP motor mounts and do the timing belt and water pump. I am a bit of a senior citizen, I know things would be much easier with the motor out, but is it worth the trouble to take it out? I have never put a clutch in a 951 before, looking for the experts opinion on the subject. Thank you all!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally i would take out the engine for this. If it were just the clutch, or just the other two things i would leave it in.. but everything you are planning on is easier with the engine out. Getting the transmission out is a major PITA in itself (one of my most hated jobs). But it really comes down to is do you have the equipment to pull the engine? Engine hoist, decent jack stands, engine stand..etc.

With the engine out.. i will say the dangerous words of 'while your in there' consider doing the rod bearings, oil pan gasket, inspecting / replacing the pickup tube and resealing the balance shaft covers while its all apart.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Gerd
Instructor

thanks Techno, I have a lift but no hoist, I wish you could just remove the body and raise it up and leave the drive train on the ground. I have a block and tackle to lower the motor to a heavy duty four wheel Dollie.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same question as you last month. Our 951 needed a clutch and timing belt, and lots of other little things. I decided to pull the engine. We have an '87 with the 2-piece crossover pipe.

Considering that you have an '86 with the 1-piece crossover pipe, even if you stick to only doing those 3 jobs (and no extra WYAIT stuff) you will save time by pulling the engine. But more importantly, all the work will be way easier.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:00 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left the engine in when I did the clutch. Car was down for about 2 weeks, although I didn't work on it every day. I didn't find anything too difficult, just time consuming.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerd
thanks Techno, I have a lift but no hoist, I wish you could just remove the body and raise it up and leave the drive train on the ground. I have a block and tackle to lower the motor to a heavy duty four wheel Dollie.
I don't see why you can't drop the engine from the bottom. Lots on here claim it's the easier method. I've never removed mine so can't confirm.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Gerd
Instructor

Planning to remove the engine from the bottom, per the Clark's Garage method.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I was able to remove the engine from below, using Clark's Garage, and a trick I read from user "theedge" on how to lift the car high enough. He says to put the engine on the ground, then use the engine hoist to lift the front of the car from the tow points on the frame rails, then slide the engine out from a wheel well (with a shock/hub removed).
Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

If you're going to remove the engine, do it from the bottom.

But, if it were me, I'd leave it in.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
RobE952
Advanced

IMO - Those tasks do not call for pulling (or dropping) the engine. It took me a LOTof time and 4-letter words to get my engine out, but I can drop my trany in couple hours tops (if you know a few tricks).

My two cents: Unless you are going inside the engine, leave it in.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerd
Hello Rennlister’s I have a 1986 951 which I haven’t driven for two years. When I stopped driving it the throwout bearing was making noise on each depression of the clutch. So I am planning to replace the clutch (probably the original), throwout bearing, and clutch fork. Also replace the motor mounts with CEP motor mounts and do the timing belt and water pump. I am a bit of a senior citizen, I know things would be much easier with the motor out, but is it worth the trouble to take it out? I have never put a clutch in a 951 before, looking for the experts opinion on the subject. Thank you all!
well, to be honest if you have the 1pc crossover, the job is a ubber PITA, not for the faint of heart
Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
944hal
Pro

I'm in the middle of a clutch job on an S2. I started from the back and am working my way forward. I've not dropped the engine in an S2, but I've dropped a bunch of 951 motors. If I had to do this again, I'd drop the motor in a heartbeat. I really only did it this way because I wanted to see if it was any easier. NOT!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

The red carpet method

Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

I went out from the top and in from the top. Gigantic PITA, I wish I had did it the other way.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've done it from the top on an NA, and then from the bottom on a turbo. It looked like taking the turbo engine out from above would be like trying to poop a cinderblock.

Quick Reply: Remove or not to remove engine!