Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

coolant in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry! I just got back from...well ...somewhere else. you'll have to forgive the bad typing. My clerk, ****ing doushe nozzle, won't be in, until 0600, tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ps You'd be surprised how affordable nparts can be, if you take a seat over there, by the keg.

Personally, I've been the benficiary of some of the most amazing kindness, from this board, that any rational person might call BS!...but it WASN'T

Good folks here! I changed out a HG, clutch, wheel nbearings, and and entire suspension, at least one or TWO of those, based on advise, (ONLINE ADVISE....like FOR FREE!!!) from atleast one of the gents who have responded here.

Thanks Tom!

What was given shall be given! That's how we roll!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
homerj
Rennlist Member

sorry to hear that. same exact thing happened to me. bought the car last year had a cam tower leak and a couple other little things. car sat for 6 months fixing leak and other electrical issues. went to put back together. the radiator, water pump and clutch master all leaked. fixed those put a k27 turbo on went to start and had milkshake in oil pan. so i definately understand the frustration. one question i have is on the oil cooler housing seal kits. would those have the new o-rings i would need if i blew the o-ring out and thats what caused my leak. in looking at my headgasket i really couldnt tell if it was blown. thanks again
Old 07-01-2012, 01:57 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Gotta be honest, you really need to pull the HG and take a look. You guys are both in the "twilight Zone", as far as diagnosis. You don't have running cars, so HELL! It could be years of condensation, but I wouldn't bet a dime on that! There are so many things, ya just gotta get in there, and we'll help ya.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 PM
homerj
Rennlist Member

i pulled the motor last month and im just gonna re-seal the entire motor and got lindseys stage 1 head. i wanna just make sure i get it right this time. cant afford to have to do again. thanks for help
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

good plan! Get all new belts and rubber parts. honestly, there are guys with 959's that replace all of the seals. It's just a Porsche thing. I have a vid of a 959 guy talking about it. It's hilarious! he sounds like a 944/968/928 guy! HAHAHAHHA!!! If I find it, I'll post it here! you guys will LOVE it!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:00 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has the same problem, I suspect a bad head gasket. Just don't buy motors from DC Auto and you will be ok.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
wismo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So am I better off pulling out the motor and replacing all rubber seals and gaskets or can I do this with the motor in the chassis.

Im not familiar with what can be done to these motors while in the car
I did read a oil pan gasket takes 8 hours tho.

Also clutch was done in 2000 But it should still be good.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 PM
homerj
Rennlist Member

All I can say if u think ur gonna keep the car awhile, pull the motor. I did camtower gasket aos seal, intake gasket, new steering rack with motor in and it was hell. Then while project sat radiator, wAter pump and clutch slave cylinders all started leaking when finished. Fixed all that the. Started up for third time and. Blew head gasket. After I broke sum stuff in garage decided to pull motor and go through everything. And shop arOund for parts it's amazing the difference in price. That's what I think. Hope it helps
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

okay, more to the point, as I just deleted my post. Pull the motor and do it ALL! at one time. It will save you a couple of grand, down the road...in nitpicky ****.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i also had massive coolant loss.... going right through the tail pipe. and this is what i did; (post #34).... but i'm not running a turbo. still, it only increases your pain by about $55 if it doesn't work. if it does work, it would be an interesting result for a turbo. i was told by the same guy who spotwelded my fenders, "you've got nothing to lose by trying head gasket sealer." i thought it would never work. that was 1600 miles ago, and still holding. but i never had the kind of amount of coolant getting into my oil that you have. it's not what most of the guys here would do. but, it could postpone the bigger repair... good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...s-fixed-3.html
Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

IF you EVER listen to ANYTHING ^^THAT GUY^^^ Tells you, in regard to a 944 turbo, you deserve to ALSO, put a chevy engine into your now running car. There is a GOOD reason he put a CHEVY in his porsche, but...like he said, you should look at what a genius he's been.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

ehall,

i'm not sure about where the goofy hostility comes from, but wouldn't it be funny if you turned out to be a fairly normal, cordial and friendly human being in real life ? stranger things have happened... in any case, you're very knowledgeable about the 4 cylinder Porsche and being able to pull worn parts from the engine bay and put good ones back in. fantastic. but let's not give you a Nobel prize just yet. it's my understanding that the headgaskets of any engine, including these 25-year-old, 4 cylinder Porsche beaters, get old, brittle, crack and fail. head gasket sealer is designed to form a reef without causing serious damage to your radiator and heater cores. does it do this as promised ? probably not. nevertheless, in my particular car, it seems to have performed exactly as advertised. the heater still throws plenty of heat, and the car still seems to run cool (we've had 98 degree days and no issues). nevertheless, it's always gonna be more sexy to pull the heads, or be worry warts and say, "our radiator systems will totally destroyed." i doubt it. but, i suppose i could give Eric Hill my spare radiator (i paid, what, 100 dollars for?) instead... but i doubt that's even necessary. with my engine coming out fairly soon, i was clearly in a nothing-to-lose situation. apparently, if you catch a failing head gasket even sooner, the hg sealer can easily form a permanent reef along the failing ridge line, but if you wait, it may, or may not. as of right now, the Bars Leaks stuff appears to be just as unimpressed with Porsche head gaskets as they are with Land Rover, SAAB and Volvo head gaskets (which also cost a small fortune to replace at the local shop).... as for turning a wrench, i'm kinda busy with other stuff. no Porsche timing belts, h20 pumps or cylinder heads are in my future. but, once the native chevy motor goes in, it'll be cake changing belts, hoses, H20 pumps, valvesprings etc, to go along with the other fun stuff like simple tune-ups, fuel filters, brakes and transmission oil - i already do. my major project the past 3 months has been helping give comfort to my mother (cancer) who could pass any day now. in my case, at the current time, the headgasket situation was an unneccesary distraction - fixed.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 AM
wismo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone my son said he will never sell the car soI guess here we go...
Car still needs a lot of other things
headlight motor,rear center panel spot welded in place and some lights i forget which ones they are all in a box. oh and tires they are all dryrotted and leak.

Im sure im forgetting some stuff but thats enough for me to get started.

Last edited by wismo; 07-05-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:09 PM
homerj
Rennlist Member

Have fun. I'd check with people on the board, seems everybody agrees 944 don't like to sit. Sowhen I started with my first project the car sat for 4 months. In which the water pump, brake slave cylinders and radiator all developed leaks. So I don't know what to do to prevent this. Something to think about when u start this project. For me I found vertex had the best price for rebuild kit

Quick Reply: coolant in oil pan