coolant in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM
wismo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant in oil pan

Heres whats happening.
My son has a Turbo 944 1986 project car we changed oil car sat for 10 years after a timing belt was done. The oil was frothy milky thought it was from sitting so long.
So oil change was done ran it a few times idle in driveway only .Today I got to change oil again for some fresh oil and the oil pan is literally ful of coolant
My question is would oil cooler seal failure cause this
Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Was water pump done as well?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 PM
wismo
Intermediate

yes his uncle was prior owner he said he put in a new pump
Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

oprv seal is usually oil in the coolant, you can see the oil in the reservoir, but water in the pan is 99% blown head gasket, probably the gasket dry rotted. Where are you located?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

In all likelihood, it's either the oil seals:

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm

...or the head gasket:

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951/headgasket.htm
Old 07-01-2012, 02:39 AM
wismo
Intermediate

Massachusetts.
i mean i have a gallon of coolant i pan.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wismo
Heres whats happening.
My son has a Turbo 944 1986 project car we changed oil car sat for 10 years after a timing belt was done. The oil was frothy milky thought it was from sitting so long.
So oil change was done ran it a few times idle in driveway only .Today I got to change oil again for some fresh oil and the oil pan is literally ful of coolant
My question is would oil cooler seal failure cause this
YES, BUT! Porsches leak like sieves when they sit for any amount of time over 6 months...ALL OF THEM! It COULD be LOTS of things. How did it run BEFORE you changed belts and left it?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:01 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

See comments from Tom and LART! At a MINIMUM, you have to do the work to eliminate those three issues. LUCY! YOU GOTS PROBLEMS! If you're handy, the work is real complicated, but will require a lot of time. Hoses all go. Belts, TEN YEARS OLD, can't be trusted. Waterpump MUST be pulled and inspected, if not outright replaced. I've got a good used one if you get stuck for money. Rollers need to go, HG, Intake manifold seals, throttle body seals, GAWD KNOWS how much else. We'll give ya what we can, in old good parts that we may have around, but this is going to be a bit of a job.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 AM
wismo
Intermediate

everything was fine when belts were changed 12 years ago was a daily driver for about a year then taken off road for some minor body panel work that was started but never completed.
So chances are the headgasket is no goo not oil cooler.?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:43 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chances are that after the time frame, there isn't a sigle solide rubber component in that car.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
See comments from Tom and LART! At a MINIMUM, you have to do the work to eliminate those three issues. LUCY! YOU GOTS PROBLEMS! If you're handy, the work is real complicated, but will require a lot of time. Hoses all go. Belts, TEN YEARS OLD, can't be trusted. Waterpump MUST be pulled and inspected, if not outright replaced. I've got a good used one if you get stuck for money. Rollers need to go, HG, Intake manifold seals, throttle body seals, GAWD KNOWS how much else. We'll give ya what we can, in old good parts that we may have around, but this is going to be a bit of a job.
As Tom said a compression test would reveal if the head gasket is at fault, but like Ehall recommend I would go ahead and replace belts, hoses etc
Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lart951
As Tom said a compression test would reveal if the head gasket is at fault, but like Ehall recommend I would go ahead and replace belts, hoses etc
AMEN!

The thig is...and ask a guy, on ANY CONTINENT that kows or OWNS a 959, if it's rubber, it's BROKE! Same rubbers, same children...ERRR I mean problems!

I don't want to see you try to start it up, and harm the engine. A DECADE is too long for a tire, much less a hose or seal.
To be fair, we can throw you some basicsat you, like we might to an 18 year old, without a brain, but to be honorable and honest; you've got a bit of a job ahead of you;...not hard, but IMPORTANT! Everything that is rubber is ...to YOU... Jack the Ripper!. Gotta look at it as a suspect. Even if that isn't you'r problem, it's about to be!

Not trying to disuade you, thou LART is about to offer you a DIME on the dollar for your car, but rubber causes more crap, in these cars, than anything but belt rollers.
P FUGGIN S!

Did I mention that lart was about to offer you a DIME,.....on the DOLLAR, for what that car is worth...SIGHT UNSEEN!?

Sorry lart! I still have a retarded luv fer these buggies!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

wasn't screwin with ya lart! Hell, I barely read it all. before I posted. Just so ya know!
THAT said, you'll have to forgive me if I'm trying to save one!
If you lived closed I'd be asking you for an driver's seat with good foam, 8way switches and ****ty leather!

I HAVE the leather, but I need the seat and your girlfriend, on the EAST coast, would seel me just one? Ofcourse he sells seats as tops and bottoms. What do you think that means?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 PM
wismo
Intermediate

kinda sux cuz i had this thing running a few times and all was good just the milky oil i didnt think it could be from oil cooler seals never even heard of that lol Im definaitely a 944 novice but have much auto repair experience fixing other cars.
This is a really nice car that was taken apart somewhat and not finished I hate to also have to abandon the project but i think this motor issue is gonna be expensive.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:06 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

here's the thing! It doesn't have to be FERARRI expensive, or even 911 expensive. We just have to help you through a diagnosis.
THAT SAID, it COULD get expensive, but more so if you skimp on the repair, which you can CERTAINLY MAKE ON YOUR OWN, BUt, if you short cut, it will cost you big time!

Milkshake happens, SOMETIMES, because you like in a humid climate and haven't starteds the engine since winter.

STOP!

That probably isn't YOU! BUT, it's not always the Hindenburg

We need to get you started on some diagnostics!
1. Go log on to Clarksgarage.com I've been doing this a LONG time, so I may have messed up the typing, but you NEED CLARKS!

Wait www.Clarks-garage.com I think that's it.

Anyway, these cars are bullet proof, if given proper respect! Yours is just a short, perhaps slightly irritating way, from being one of the greatest cars of the entire 80's decade!

Hang in there and start doing lots of internet searches! If you can't find the manuals online, in the next 6 months, pm me. Bet I can!

Quick Reply: coolant in oil pan