Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 AM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
How does that dual oil filter work? And what's the hose over the top of the car for?

...just kidding! It's a thing of beauty, Man!

Rich
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today's update...

Front radiator ducting/radiator mounts and more...

TonyG

Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Truly stunning Tony! Getting very close now.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:14 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Really looks awesome Tony. Beautiful stuff!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, that's not a 944 dash! Don't you want to stay true to the original? J/K...

Whoever is doing the fabrication on your car is an artist.

In your oil system loop, do you have check valves to prevent everything from draining from the coolers and lines back to the sump when the engine is off? Just wondering what would happen if you started the engine with 17 quarts of oil in the bottom.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:03 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by vt951
Hey, that's not a 944 dash! Don't you want to stay true to the original? J/K...

Whoever is doing the fabrication on your car is an artist.

In your oil system loop, do you have check valves to prevent everything from draining from the coolers and lines back to the sump when the engine is off? Just wondering what would happen if you started the engine with 17 quarts of oil in the bottom.

We aren't using that dash. I'm not sure what dash we are using or if we'll just make one out of aluminum. That dash is out of a boxter race car that Vision is building. One of the guys was seeing if it would fit.

As far as the check valves go... the only check valved used is the one located after the location the Accusump T's into. This prevents the accusump from pressurizing the side that goes to the oil pump and keeps the pressure facing the engine.

As far as the oil coolers draining into the engine. Not gonna happen. They would have to drain all the way to the back of the car, through the oil filters, then past the oil pump in the engine, then back to the oil pan. Plus... once the oil thermostat cools down to below 180F, it shuts which further prevents any oil from leaving the oil coolers and associated lines.

TonyG
Old 05-04-2013, 05:03 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Tony I've decided I will no longer be looking at this thread. It's too much, it's just overwhelming.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Big E
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rarely post, but I'm following this with great interest. Working on an LS6 951 myself, though not a track car. But I've still gotten some ideas just from all the work here. Amazing to see the transformation going on here, can't wait to see the final result!

Question - the ducting for the radiator, I'm assuming there's going to be a duct towards the front of the hood that will serve as the outlet, so air goes in through the air dam, through the rad, and out the hood duct? Any ideas on what that duct's going to look like?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

a. and have you decided on what wood you're running for the new (very large) trophy case?

or

b. going to a museum and no new trophy case?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM
porsche993gtrsr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any news ?
Old 05-22-2013, 02:26 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

5.22.13 update

Rear fuel dry brake plumbing done.

Working on the front now...

TonyG

Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Duke
The steering rack adapter looks identical to mine, not sure what would make your piece stronger? The photo is a little dark so it's hard to see. Mine is made from chrome moly and bolted.
Well.... speaking of adapters....

We just got rid of ours after discovering that the tie rod pushing on it an an angle was causing the rack to rotate.

You would grab the wheel and turn the wheel, and there was slop created by the rotation of the rack. Not sure why none of us caught this until a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway... I'm not sure how your adapter is not pushing to rotate the rack, but ours is.

So yeah... we have some changes to make.

Just glad we caught it now rather than later.

TonyG

Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have custom uprights so it is likely that the steering arm geometry is better than your setup. My steering arms have uniballs in both ends. Maybe your arms were binding and causing the adapter to rotate.
My
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Now I saw the picture. I think my uprights are designed with the arm more in line with the rack. Hard to tell from your pic but it seems the 996 upright have the pickup further to the front that would cause side forces which rotates the adapter/rack.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Duke
Now I saw the picture. I think my uprights are designed with the arm more in line with the rack. Hard to tell from your pic but it seems the 996 upright have the pickup further to the front that would cause side forces which rotates the adapter/rack.
I have spherical joints on each side of the tie rods, so binding is not the issue.

It's clearly the angle of the tie rod.

But when we sat there and really looked at it.... even if the tie rod was perfectly straight so there would be no side loading on the adapter, once the wheel went up or down or left or right, the angle of the tie rod changes so that there will be side loading. It's impossible for there not to be side loading because the angle can vary so much.

Anyway.... this setup is a no-go for me.

Just sucks that it's this late in the game when I'm trying to pull it all together.

And this is one reason why they use a cup-and-ball for the tie rod attachment point at the rack. (no way for the tie rod to rotate the rack)

TonyG

Quick Reply: TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread