Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Official V8 Registry.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

For VSS, I wired a 968 front wheel speed sensor into the VSS input on my PCM. So, obviously the PCM can tell when I'm moving, but the speed is not right (different number of teeth on the wheel). Does anyone know if the VSS scale can be adjusted in the PCM (using HP Tuners or something like that)? The only reason I care is I use an Innovate OBDII logging system and it is giving me inaccurate fuel efficiency, dyno numbers, and 0-60 times...
Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 AM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
For VSS, I wired a 968 front wheel speed sensor into the VSS input on my PCM. So, obviously the PCM can tell when I'm moving, but the speed is not right (different number of teeth on the wheel). Does anyone know if the VSS scale can be adjusted in the PCM (using HP Tuners or something like that)? The only reason I care is I use an Innovate OBDII logging system and it is giving me inaccurate fuel efficiency, dyno numbers, and 0-60 times...
The answer is yes, its a simple change using programming software, you change the number of pulses per mile that directly relates to the number of teeth on the VSS wheel.

I run a 40 tooth bicycle sprocket attached to the right rear axle, I reprogrammed my PCM to read the 40 tooth wheel, I think the default is 46 tooth.

As robstah stated, owning you own copy of HP tuners is a great investment.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why bother with VSS?

I"ve never run with it. And it's not a tuning issue.

So why bother?

Using it to "estimate" dyno numbers or fuel consumption is not a substitute for a real dyno, nor is it an excuse to do actual fuel consumption calculations based on real fuel consumption.

I just don't understand what real data you can get from it... and thus don't understand ... "why bother with VSS"?????

TonyG
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

adding a couple more.....

Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
While the MPG calculations aren't dead on exact, they are close enough. My calculated averages are within a point of my actual MPG (calculated at fill up).
Rob - How is the paint job coming along? Think it will be done by Aug 10th for the meet? I am looking forward to seeing it!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Last edited by 333pg333; 09-14-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:53 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'm at a truck stop yesterday PILOT in southern Indiana getting gas and this guy comes strolling by me with this big grin on his face....

i'm like, is he gay or something? no. it was because he noticed my car....

I just happened to look back and to the right. it's a Guards Red '85 1/2 944...

so I immediately hook a right turn toward the car.

ended up talking with this nice guy for a few minutes before he starts the car.

v8 Chevy. blueprinted LS3 install from Renegade....my God what a clean install. looked like NASA did it. the guy has 20 k miles. fantastic exhaust work. not too loud. smooth as butter..... '

944T transmission with the tall 5th gear.

just couldn't believe I randomly bumped into such an extraordinary car.

regret not having my camera. but this is the very beast (944/gallery/E.C. Adams)....

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 09-14-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:17 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
You should be able to. Here is a thread over on 944H about calculating the right values (it's under the pictures):

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t22...tup-and-tuning

And just to mention it, HP Tuners was probably my best purchase for the car. The better fuel economy has already paid for HP Tuners, itself.
Thanks for that link. I bought hp tuners a while back but haven't used it yet. Good to know that I will be able to fix the VSS when I get in there.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 329 Posts

I still need to buy HP Tuners...
Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Progress sort of came to a halt over the summer, but things are back moving again.

The biggest challenge was setting up the hydroboost and mounting it. The only issue right now is the passenger side upright is touching the #1 runner on the long tubes, so that is on the list for things to address before i can say the engine is in there permanently. Everything else looks great though, the shop said installing the engine was actually very simple... it literally slid right into place.

So basically all the wiring, plumbing, exhaust and intake setup have to be finished.. so its down to all the time consuming stuff. A few other details need to be worked out still like relocating the coil packs also.

Ive decided to change things around a little but and will now be cutting out the hood latch, deleting headlight bar and running a C6 Vette style intake components under the nose panel, similar to how Max Energy did his. This means Aerocatch hood latches now also. Ive also decided to ditch the turbo radiator and ordered the Renegade Hybrids conversion rad (which i guess is just a Ron Davis radiator). The other good thing is instead of running the oil cooler under the nose panel (like the factory intercooler) ill mount it infront of the radiator.. so i can go with something a little larger. With that said, ive decided to hold off on reinstalling a/c, so no worries now with also stacking a condenser in front of the radiator.

I was originally going to run the a 90* boot off the throttle body and run a filter off to the drivers side because i didnt really want to cut out the hood latch. Not sure why but i wasnt too keen on doing irreversible body mods to the car. But then i remembered.. im putting a freaken LS1 into the car so i need to stop the mentality of "i want to be able to bring it back to stock".

We are mostly waiting on parts right now, mainly fittings and hose. Still a lot of work to finish, but i think we are on the downhill now. Hope to have it running in a month or so. Finally!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jon,
I sent you a response, you may also want to consider deleting the headlight mechanism assembly,
Your headlight become manual then but it really cleans everything up. Contact VT951
Also I used a set of Aero Latch hood pins on one of my other 944 track cars, I didn't like the way they looked. I am using Hotckins on my LS3/951. I could send you a picture from my race car if you would like?
Max
Max
Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Max, the headlight bar is coming out also. I already contacted Allan for a set of the manual headlight brackets. I want to eventually do the GTS style fixed lights.. but getting the car running is a bigger concern right now.

Those Hotchkis hood pins look good, but i really want something locking. The Aerocatch latches seem the most secure out of the locking types available.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 329 Posts

I used a drivers side 914 head light motor. Works great and I don't have to get out of the car to move the headlights up and down. $30 shipped off eBay...
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

95one
Bruce,
Good evening, I tried both your phone numbers and they have been disconnected.
I have left numerous emails, All I am looking for are the Chromoly Camber Plates for torsion bar delete that I paid for.
Could you please mail these out as soon as possible or please refund me for one of the two torsion bar deletes.
Sincerely,
Max George
225 573-0664
maxenergy@***.net
Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Another 2-3 weeks to go i think

A few things left,
-Complete power steering / hydroboost lines
-Fabricate y-pipe for exhaust