Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wossner pistons/Alusil compatiblity?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
What about 104.5mm? Heritage in FL has some supposedly in stock, but there is no price listed.

http://www.heritagemotorcar.com/research/index.htm Under Engine Components
Thanks for the tip, mailed them to ask for info.

Paul.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 AM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Thanks for the tip, mailed them to ask for info.

Paul.
IIRC, Heritage sells for 16 valve. Shameless plug for anyone who wants 104.5 8 valve here.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:08 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by lejams
IIRC, Heritage sells for 16 valve. Shameless plug for anyone who wants 104.5 8 valve here.
Heritage told me they have an 8V 104.5 Mahle piston, never heard back when I asked about the price though. I dont see the point of an Alusil compatible piston if a liner and piston can be installed for similar money.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Ship them as used with no value

I expect to pay up to $1000 for the pistons complete, what hacks me off is paying 23% UK import duty/tax, I thought I would avoid the tax with Wossner. Makes me wonder about machined 968 pistons again.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Ship them as used with no value
Taking a chance with no insurance if they go missing though, I've been told to ship as used/samples/gift etc, but although they may be better than Wossner I'm not sure they're 50% better.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Wossner are good, like a European JE. I used a set of them coated for Alusil and they seem to be holding up. If I had the choice, I would go Mahle. They are light years nicer. Lighter and you can get some great options. The slipper skirt, box on box is the best design out there. Custom pin options and coating options make them the best.
Wossner will do whatever you want. They will even go so far as to send you the engineering drawings for one set of pistions just to make sure they are exactly how you want them. If you want the piston pin vertical, they may say "hey, that won't work" but they will make it if you want.

Mahle:

Wossner

And yes, they have alusil coatings so that you can run them in your alusil bores. The great thing about Wossner, is they will not only do whatever you want, but it is no increase in price. They also will make you one set, and not want 50 sets made in a batch.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 PM
lejams
Pro

Mahle:

FWIW the Mahles in the photo are a little different then what I have.

I cannot comment on the Wossners except to what is posted on the board which AFAIK is all positive. Distinguishable difference is that Mahle is OEM. Does anyone else know if Mahle continues to be the OEM choice for all Porsches built?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:02 PM
lejams
Pro

Heritage told me they have an 8V 104.5 Mahle piston, never heard back when I asked about the price though. I dont see the point of an Alusil compatible piston if a liner and piston can be installed for similar money.
I don't remember seeing them on their site. Maybe it's like Andial where they don't stock them, but they can get them, possibly even from Andial.

It's been run through a number of times - keep it Alusil vs. sleeving vs. plating with Nikasil or NiCom. Everyone has their ideas, preferences, budgets etc. Think there has been success with all and debatable pros and cons here and there.

Although there are many ways, my choice sticking with Alusil & Mahle, all things considered - good build and tune is not a wrong.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Darwin,

Almost all piston companies will send you drawings before they make them. Once you approve them, they make them. This is how they keep you from saying "thats not what I wanted" when they show up.

Mahle uses the newest box or box slipper skirt style which is much better than the old mahle/Andial style and they come with many coatings.

Here is a pic of I few I made...
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm failing to track where Wossner falls short here.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM
blade7
Drifting

Although there are many ways, my choice sticking with Alusil & Mahle, all things considered - good build and tune is not a wrong.
I'm inclined to agree and If my project block is in size I'll go with coated pistons, I just wonder if Mahle's pricing is linked to Porsche in some way or stems from when they had the 104mm Alusil market to themselves.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:43 AM
lejams
Pro

I just wonder if Mahle's pricing is linked to Porsche in some way or stems from when they had the 104mm Alusil market to themselves.
Mahle is huge, a leader and standard bearer. They are the OEM with an unchallenged reputation, plus long standing relationships with Porsche, etc. As earned they have their price and are probably relatively unaffected by such a small loss of market share.

On integral parts I have never minded paying the OEM standard of price for the reassurance of what you get. Not at all suggesting that Wossner aren't up to the task because they're cheaper as it appears quite the contrary. But if I want to save money, I look elsewhere to do it. Problem is much of the time elsewhere seems to be an elusive apparition.

I'm not unhappy that I paid for Mahle, and I doubt you'll find anyone else to say differently.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 AM
blade7
Drifting

I'm not unhappy that I paid for Mahle, and I doubt you'll find anyone else to say differently.
That's fair enough. Geography and taxes are against us though.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

What kind of coating do Wössner use for their Alusil-compatible pistons?

AFAIK Ferrostan remains the most suited coating and it's a Mahle patent.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 PM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by Thom
What kind of coating do Wössner use for their Alusil-compatible pistons?

AFAIK Ferrostan remains the most suited coating and it's a Mahle patent.
Mahle has updated the tech to Ferroprint.
http://www.mahle.com/MAHLE/en/Produc...soline-engines
<For the application in aluminum cylinder surfaces, MAHLE uses the iron particle reinforced synthetic resin coating FERROPRINT®. MAHLE's new FerroTec® galvanic iron layer is another ongoing development available on the market. The FerroTec® technology coats the entire skirt evenly, resulting in improved running properties. These coatings are necessary to enable the combination of aluminum pistons with pure aluminum engine blocks and hence represent an essential contribution to an overall reduction in engine weight.>

Quick Reply: Wossner pistons/Alusil compatiblity?