Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1987 951 Part Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 1987 951 Part Out

This poor car has had a tough go of it in the last few years, first it was hit by an 18 wheeler doing damage to the entire passenger side of the car, then it was purchased by a guy who thought he could fix it, and ended up doing more harm than good. I could go on a long rant now about how this guy killed a car that should have been saved, but I will give the short version of the story.

When the previous owner purchased this car, he had a running car with damaged focused on the front fender and the rear quarter panel, sure there were some other minor things that needed attention, but once those items were fixed it could have been a decent little 951. His fix for the front was to install a 944 fender, and try to get it to fit the 951 nose, I have seen this done properly and work, this is not one of those times. At the rear he spent "200 hours" fitting a new rear 1/4, my 6 month old daughter could have done work of this quality in 20. In the rear he started to drill the spot welds for the tail light panel, and also was doing something with a grinder, again leaving this poor 951 worse for his efforts. Seeing as things were going so well on the outiside he decided to tackle the dash, and it resulted in a pile of nuts and bolts being thrown around a newly soggy interior without any rhyme or reason. Last but not least, the car also degraded to a non running condition, I cannot see how this is possible while under such dilligent care.

Long story short, too late, she will be parted out so other 951s don't have to suffer the same fate. I have not had much time to go over the car yet, but in the next week I hope to have it up in the air so I can see what I am dealing with.

If you have parts you need in mind, shoot me a PM, I will start putting a list together shortly of what is available and in good working order.

ODU please don't post in this thread. We all know you think these are terrible cars, just keep you comments to yourself. Or better yet, sell your 968 and move on to some new forum to bash some other type of car.

Here she is from her good side:

Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:46 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Sweet!! Congrats Ian. I have seen this car on CL for a while and was hoping somebody would buy it and do the right thing with it (part it)...

What kind of wheels are those? And what's your price on them?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Reimu
Drifting

I might be interested in a few things, I'm about an hour away from charlotte
Old 12-24-2012, 04:58 PM
KaiKai951S
Instructor

What is the size of those wheels?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - I was emailing this fellow a little about the car and he did another video walk around on it - you are a brave fellow Ian - I hope you got him down to a reasonable price - poor car!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Dangerwillrbnsn
Intermediate

What suspension is on it? I'll shoot a PM over...
Old 12-26-2012, 12:16 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Reimu
I might be interested in a few things, I'm about an hour away from charlotte
Let me know what parts you need, and I'll see how they look. But you are more than welcomed to come down and to give the car a look over.

Originally Posted by KaiKai951S
What is the size of those wheels?
I still have not pulled the wheels off to check the sizes, but I will do so this week (I hope).

Originally Posted by Josh B
Wow - I was emailing this fellow a little about the car and he did another video walk around on it - you are a brave fellow Ian - I hope you got him down to a reasonable price - poor car!

Brave or foolish? We will see once I dig into the wreck. I needed a few parts that I knew were good on her, so it was worth the gamble, well it was worth it in my head, reality may prove otherwise.

Originally Posted by Dangerwillrbnsn
What suspension is on it? I'll shoot a PM over...
Looks to have some lowering springs on the front, but not sure what shocks are on there. Will let you know once I have her in the air and have had a look around.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Got some pictures of the wheels because there have been lots of questions about them:

ATS Wheels: 17x7.5 and 17x8.5
All wheels hold air, the curb rash on the one of the fronts is the worst, I took a close up of the worst spot. 3 of the 4 have the proper center caps, but one wheel has a porsche center cap. I have a complete set of similar porsche caps if someone wanted to work those into a deal.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Ian. I could really use the spacer at the top of the power steering pump. I will try to give you a call to describe it.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 PM
BryO
Instructor

Default re

PM sent.

What shape are the seats in? Need a pair for the resto, I am doing.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Have made some progress pulling the car apart, really I have just been throwing away broken parts and trying to start getting organized to pull her apart. I think I am up to date in regards to PMs, but if I have not gotten back to anyone I am sorry, and I'll do my best to go through the old PMs today.

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Hey Ian. I could really use the spacer at the top of the power steering pump. I will try to give you a call to describe it.
Richard,

I have had some trouble with the mount on my 86 951, so I may be keeping the spacers as spares for now. But I can bring the spare lug nut you needed over to cars and coffee this coming weekend.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm... I need a driver's side fender (assuming the good fender if actually for a turbo)...Bruce
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Andrewporsche
Instructor

Hey Ian..looking for the plastic cover that goes over the battery..
Need ship to
Blaine Washington 98230
Thanks

Quick Reply: 1987 951 Part Out