Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Youtube find - dash repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Youtube find - dash repair

Can it really be this simple? Think I would pull mine but this doesn't look too bad.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently saw this video. I am really thinking of trying to wrap my dash myself. My test was wrapping my venture console first. That turned out great. I would try something first then do the dash. A heat gun and some strong vinyl glee make all the difference.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

This video is pretty misleading. I've recovered a oval dash before and it's not fun. Even with a heat gun, even with high quality adhesive, it's difficult to get the vinyl to adhere to the compound curves of the dash. I'd be especially curious to see how the left side of the dash stays over time, I know the dash that I did started to lift in between the gauge cluster and the side vent after about 6 months. Full disclosure, the dash I recovered was removed from the car to make it easier and it really helped. I'd worry about getting adhesive all over my interior.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

We need a guinea pig - someone with a wreck and an old dash who can try this out.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 PM
bumper87
Instructor

wow that turned out pretty good actually
Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I recovered my armrest in one piece. It wasn't that bad really. I am really thinking about doing this.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Alpineace
Pro

I covered a dash in carbon/kevlar and it turned out pretty good, with a clearcoat on it.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Mark924S
Advanced

i think ill give it a go on my old square dash... cant be any worse than what it is now
Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpineace
I covered a dash in carbon/kevlar and it turned out pretty good, with a clearcoat on it.
Alpineace, can you post a picture of that? I am really curious to see what a 944 dash would look like in CF, as it's something I've toyed with.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Wald944
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Copilot
Alpineace, can you post a picture of that? I am really curious to see what a 944 dash would look like in CF, as it's something I've toyed with.
2nd that!
Alpineace, where did you purchase the CF?
I'm assuming you used the stretchable CF/kevlar material and not some prepasted stuff. Then the clearcoat to give it a shine?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

A buddy and I used the same stuff on a headliner and console and it worked great while closely matching the grain of the interior. I would use the 3M super 77 spray instead of contact cement and repair the cracks prior to putting down new vinyl. It was on a black car and held up for at least three years in the Phoenix sun.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Pirrex
Advanced

I did this a few years back, and it still today looks like new. It's not very difficult, but can be time consuming.

Definitely do it the proper way, and get the dash out.

I did NOT use a heat gun, but the vinyl i bought had this "net", or fabric, whatever it is, on the back side. After ripping that of from the vinyl it will be very flexible, and no need for heat. It's a bitch to get off, but I think it will make the wrapping so much easier and better. Careful when taking it off, because the net can easily grab some pieces of the back of the vinyl, and it's gonna look horrible thru the vinyl (see the black spots on the net).

Get your contact adhesive, and get to work!

After some time you will have a nice new dash.

Put that thing back. Here the vent holes on top of the dash looked really horrible, and for one year i was thinking, how the hell do i fix those.

Now the part comes where you have to be creative. I bought a sheet of thin PVC, maybe like 0.7mm thick, a bar holding the shelf in the wardrobe, a small piece of ruler, a permanent marker, scissors and a lighter.

A bit difficult to see, but I heated the pvc with the lighter, pressed the ruler against the pvc to form my new vents.

Cut the vents out from the pvc sheet, give them some paint, and you'll have the vents for your dash done.

Glue them in place, and feel good about the fact that you didn't buy a new dash.

The price of this, was maybe 40 euros for the vinyl, glue and pvc.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Pirrex - thanks so much! Did you remove the top dash plastic like in the video? Did you do any 'crack repair' on the underlying dash after the plastic was off?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Pirrex
Advanced

I just put some glue in the cracks, and let it dry. I then didn't put any contact glue over the area of the crack, to prevent the slightly uneven surface from shining thru the vinyl.

Oh, and yes, I also removed the black "peel", doesn't need any heat gun for that either.

Quick Reply: Youtube find - dash repair