Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Belt tensioning tool. How do you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Belt tensioning tool. How do you use it?

I got my belt tensioning tool but I have no idea how to use it.

Here is a pick of the tool:

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...ccesories-9441

What's the general process.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Search for kriket tensioner. I've never used one, only the 920X
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one and tried to use it. I was trying to get consistent tension readings before I removed the belt. I could never get it to give a consistent reading. I think using using a kricket requires a touch that I don't have.

In the end, I used the twist / water pump method and got the tension set perfect according to the tech that checked it after the fact for me. I have heard good things about the Arrnworx 920x and will go that route on my next change.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read some of the posts but I don't see where it talks about how to physically use it. Meaning how the heck do you put it on the belts and how do you hold it?

Also if I want to double check the tension with the twist method I'm assuming I need to back the crank off the 1.5 teeth. There does not seem to be the need to back the balanced shaft belt off to set tension from what I read on Clark's - is this correct?

Edit. Ok found a video online. However my guage starts at 30 lbs. Isnt the balanced belts suppose to be set at 28 lbs.?

Last edited by Last Lemming; 07-14-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky944TurboNewbie

In the end, I used the twist / water pump method and got the tension set perfect according to the tech that checked it after the fact for me. I have heard good things about the Arrnworx 920x and will go that route on my next change.

I used the waterpump twist method and wouldn't bother with a tensioner tool in the future, I left the cover off and checked the tension again when the engine was up to temp and the belt was noticeably tighter. It's no coincidence that serviceable waterpump bearings fail shortly after over tightening new belts.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:21 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kriket cannot be used for the balance belt. You can get the timing belt in the ball park by trial and error. If it's too tight you'll hear a whine with the engine running and if it's too loose you'll hear it slap against the cover.

I had a Kriket and couldn't get consistent readings. I ended up buying the Arnnworx tool. I don't see why anyone would risk it with the twist method when the tool is relatively cheap.

Quick Reply: Belt tensioning tool. How do you use it?