Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need help tracking the missing owner of this 86 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need help tracking the missing owner of this 86 951

Hey guys. There is a car back near my hometown in FL that has been sighted as abandoned for over a year (in an empty abandoned tax office building parking lot, of all places) and I want to inquire about buying it.

Short story:
I saw it in 2006 parked at a local repair shop at night, thought it was pretty cool at the time, and took a picture of it, then left. I never saw it or heard of it again. Since then I've always wondered where that car had been.

My friend took a picture of it last week and I recognized it right away. There is no tag on the car. The interior is full of trash, the paint and rubber trim is all fading and rotting away, there are spider webs between the wheels, etc.

The VIN number reads: WP0AA0959GN154011 so I do know it is an 86 951 at least.

Does anyone know of a way to track this car down? I tried calling the phone number to the abandoned building, about 50 times, but never got an answer, and no option to leave a voice message.

Can anyone look up the vehicle owner history through the VIN?

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated. I would really like to buy this car (hopefully dirt cheap) and either restore it or part it out. Either of those options would be better than letting it sit and rot away.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:24 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

some pictures for the heck of it.

This is the photo I took in 2006. The flash and the dust on the car made it look worse, but I remember seeing it that night and thinking it was cool.

This is the photo my friend took last week, when I recognized it. He claims the car has been sitting in this exact spot for at least a year.

The windows were dusty and moldy, making it hard to get an interior photo of all the nice trash.

And the VIN.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

is it bad i think the back looks kind of cool?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Go get those wheels!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Looks like it was driven regularly till 02.

http://www.conklincarshutchinson.com...5#full-history

At which point the timing belt probably snapped and bent all the valves. Last priority thing for the owner and the car sits for 11 yrs.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onspeed
Looks like it was driven regularly till 02.

http://www.conklincarshutchinson.com...5#full-history

At which point the timing belt probably snapped and bent all the valves. Last priority thing for the owner and the car sits for 11 yrs.
Wow, 02... that's crazy.

When I saw the car in 2006, it had a tag, but the flash from my camera makes it impossible to read. I wonder if the tag was expired, or if someone was just driving the car for a few years with a swapped tag or something. It was sitting at a Porsche repair shop, so it could have been inoperable during that time as well. Unfortunately the shop closed down a couple years ago, so there would be no way to retrieve any records from them.

Is there any way to retrieve a name or address to the previous registered owners?

Thank you for looking that up for me!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apply for abandoned title. I know a kid who picked up a miata that way. It sat in the same spot in his neighborhood for about a year and a half. He applied for abandoned title, the DMV tried to contact the registered owner. After a certain amount of time(I have no idea how long that is), the kid got title to the car.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
Apply for abandoned title. I know a kid who picked up a miata that way. It sat in the same spot in his neighborhood for about a year and a half. He applied for abandoned title, the DMV tried to contact the registered owner. After a certain amount of time(I have no idea how long that is), the kid got title to the car.
If it's on private property, the property owner probably has ownership rights first. Track down owner through property tax info which is publicly available. Contact them and go from there.

Quick Reply: Need help tracking the missing owner of this 86 951