Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Motor #4 Comming Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 02:18 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS engines suck. LTx all the way. Haha.

I still miss my old 86 951. Damn garage fire.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Porsches are not muscle cars - they are sports cars. They are hatched with a sense of designed balance - a machine that is fast, can handle, and can stop - all in proportion. Blasting off in a straight line, tires smoking, and fire shooting out the back is best left to a car with a firebird on the hood. The track is a great place for anyone with a Porsche - you get an appreciation of what a 25 year old car can do - no stability control busily pumping breaks and trying to autonomically correct your bad skills. The 50/50 balance - stability control as envisioned by the good doctor. In the turns, you eat Cayman's for breakfast and 911s for lunch.

Freshen your suspension, refresh things under the hood, plug the leaks. Map sensors with better fuel tables are fine - probably healthier. Make the car breathe a bit easier - the exhaust and the intake are usually the big horsepower items anyway. MBC and DPWG are fine - you spool quicker. Keep it at 11psi and you have one heck of a sports car that may go another 25 years. But start turning the boost **** like a hamster repeatedly pushing the button for cocaine pellets and you're finished, sooner rather than later.

You have a silent scream in your throat as you blast over the crest of the hill, smell of crankcase fumes in your nostrils, over-revving and over-boosting your 2.5L, and then out of the corner of your eye - was he in the passenger seat all along? It's Lart, cloaked in black with a hood, and holding the reaper's scythe - head thrown back and cackling like a hyena.
LOL great post

Don't forget a MAF kit. IMO an absolutely essential upgrade.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:00 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

11 psi.....ZZzzzzzzzz

Old 08-24-2014, 05:25 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsches are not muscle cars - they are sports cars. They are hatched with a sense of designed balance - a machine that is fast, can handle, and can stop - all in proportion. Blasting off in a straight line, tires smoking, and fire shooting out the back is best left to a car with a firebird on the hood. The track is a great place for anyone with a Porsche - you get an appreciation of what a 25 year old car can do - no stability control busily pumping breaks and trying to autonomically correct your bad skills. The 50/50 balance - stability control as envisioned by the good doctor. In the turns, you eat Cayman's for breakfast and 911s for lunch.

Freshen your suspension, refresh things under the hood, plug the leaks. Map sensors with better fuel tables are fine - probably healthier. Make the car breathe a bit easier - the exhaust and the intake are usually the big horsepower items anyway. MBC and DPWG are fine - you spool quicker. Keep it at 11psi and you have one heck of a sports car that may go another 25 years. But start turning the boost **** like a hamster repeatedly pushing the button for cocaine pellets and you're finished, sooner rather than later.

You have a silent scream in your throat as you blast over the crest of the hill, smell of crankcase fumes in your nostrils, over-revving and over-boosting your 2.5L, and then out of the corner of your eye - was he in the passenger seat all along? It's Lart, cloaked in black with a hood, and holding the reaper's scythe - head thrown back and cackling like a hyena.
I respectfully disagree with much of what you say.

Regardless of the boost level don't take it to the track if you can't write it off. You can spin rod bearings or put it in a wall at 11psi.

Running high boost high horsepower is a calculated risk. I've got my money's worth. 8 years of smoking tires and flames out the tailpipe. I'll build another motor and turn it up again.

I've learned some lessons to get more margin but I understand I could blow it up again. I'm doing another turbo because I enjoy the rush of it more than of a V8.

Live a little. Don't Fear the Reaper.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hp18racer
I respectfully disagree with much of what you say.

Regardless of the boost level don't take it to the track if you can't write it off. You can spin rod bearings or put it in a wall at 11psi.

Running high boost high horsepower is a calculated risk. I've got my money's worth. 8 years of smoking tires and flames out the tailpipe. I'll build another motor and turn it up again.

I've learned some lessons to get more margin but I understand I could blow it up again. I'm doing another turbo because I enjoy the rush of it more than of a V8.

Live a little. Don't Fear the Reaper.
I respectfully agree
Old 08-24-2014, 09:02 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Everything is wrong except the Lart's part.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Everything is wrong except the Lart's part.
LOL
Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Porsches are not muscle cars - they are sports cars.
nobody's said they're muscle cars. to argue a v8 conversion is some kind of muscle car bastardization of the 944, not only borders on lunacy, it's an insult to the people that do them... to that end, the v8 upgrade drastically increases the likelihood that the car will be tearing up the roads for another generation to come, rather than being tuned, blown up, and having yet another bankrupted owner part the car and haul the tub off for scrap.

of course, if there had never been an LS conversion, and someone over in Europe removed the **** 4 banger to upgrade to a **** V6 or V8, the masses (at least over in Europe) would be singing the praises of German engineering from the rooftops..... i'll never get why some will say, 'there's never been a bastard, upgraded car,' unless of course, 'it's a Euro car being given an American V8.'

They are hatched with a sense of designed balance - a machine that is fast, can handle, and can stop - all in proportion.....
'all in proportion,' my effing ***. slap on a modern set of wheels and tires, and the handling of a 944T reaches far in advance of it's power.... leaving the cars down at least 150~200 hp from what ends up feeling 'right...' and this is precisely why people mod the factory, kit-car tubs to the bitter end in an attempt to bring up the cars' power to match with their handling....

then and only then, do they reach anywhere close to the balance you describe..... when you mod them, they do become very nice sports cars... but, as you get closer to truly 'feeling it,' the reliability falls like a rock.

if you look at the Ferrari 360, it handles about the same as a well-sorted 944 T, but the 360's power ascends much closer to the balance you describe above..... and yet, people drive them, and comment that the 360's power still falls short of that perfect balance.... and that's a 400 hp car.

of course the lines of sportscar/GT/supercar begin to blurr whenever cars with good handling and good engines enter into the conversation.

then, the F-430 and Z-06 were born; slamming the door on the gutless sportscar chapter once and for all.

unfortunately, it's at least a 100 grand to get in a 430....

now, with respect to this politically-incorrect GM v8 powerplant, we're not burdened with some conceptual or philosophical dilema; but rather-blessed with a unique opportunity.... a black box with standard upgrade-ability that fits into the bay perfectly..... with conversion parts ready to go, and stand-alone wiring.... all allowing the performance envelope to expand to reach the 944/68's true 'balance....' or nirvana.... all without disturbing the cars' wonderful handling - or the owner going broke.

with the original engines, this isn't going to happen short of a very expensive program, pulling several dead engines or evolving to expensive 3 liter projects .....and, even then, still courting meltdown with excessive levels of boost.

Blasting off in a straight line, tires smoking, and fire shooting out the back is best left to a car with a firebird on the hood.....
ummm no. if a car can't smoke the tires on it's way out of a turn, then it's somewhat anemic. i'll stop there.

Keep it at 11psi and you have one heck of a sports car that may go another 25 years....
more like such a scenario ranges from expensive proposition to nickel and dime you to til you're dead.... dunno if the untuned version reaches 'one heck of a sports car' levels of driving either.... look we all love 'em; no one's saying we don't - but then why does almost everyone come on and say, "looking for more...."

i'll tell you why: (cuz, they ain't smoking the tires very much coming out of a turn).

even a 5.3 V8 ends this dilemma in spades for pennies on the dollar.

anyhow, the 944 supercar haters continue to grow fewer....

wondering when the day will come... they rip this joint, and cross over to the darkside.

Last edited by odurandina; 08-27-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:31 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by odurandina
nobody's said they're muscle cars. to argue a v8 conversion is some kind of muscle car bastardization of the 944, not only borders on lunacy, it's an insult to the people that do them... to that end, the v8 upgrade drastically increases the likelihood that the car will be tearing up the roads for another generation to come, rather than being tuned, blown up, and having yet another bankrupted owner part the car and haul the tub off for scrap.

of course, if there had never been an LS conversion, and someone over in Europe removed the **** 4 banger to upgrade to a **** V6 or V8, the masses (at least over in Europe) would be singing the praises of German engineering from the rooftops..... i'll never get why some will say, 'there's never been a bastard, upgraded car,' unless of course, 'it's a Euro car being given an American V8.'

'all in proportion,' my effing ***. slap on a modern set of wheels and tires, and the handling of a 944T reaches far in advance of it's power.... leaving the cars down at least 150~200 hp from what ends up feeling 'right...' and this is precisely why people mod the factory, kit-car tubs to the bitter end in an attempt to bring up the cars' power to match with their handling....

then and only then, do they reach anywhere close to the balance you describe..... when you mod them, they do become very nice sports cars... but, as you get closer to truly 'feeling it,' the reliability falls like a rock.

if you look at the Ferrari 360, it handles about the same as a well-sorted 944 T, but the 360's power ascends much closer to the balance you describe above..... and yet, people drive them, and comment that the 360's power still falls short of that perfect balance.... and that's a 400 hp car.

of course the lines of sportscar/GT/supercar begin to blurr whenever cars with good handling and good engines enter into the conversation.

then, the F-430 was born; slamming the door on the gutless sportscar chapter once and for all.

unfortunately, it's at least a 100 grand to get in one....

now, with respect to this politically-incorrect GM v8 powerplant, we're not burdened with some conceptual or philosophical dilema; but rather-blessed with a unique opportunity.... a black box with standard upgrade-ability that fits into the bay perfectly..... with conversion parts ready to go, and stand-alone wiring.... all allowing the performance envelope to expand to reach the 944/68's true 'balance....' or nirvana.... all without disturbing the cars' wonderful handling - or the owner going broke.

with the original engines, this isn't going to happen short of a very expensive program, pulling several dead engines or evolving to expensive 3 liter projects .....and, even then, still courting meltdown with excessive levels of boost.

ummm no. if a car can't smoke the tires on it's way out of a turn, then it's somewhat anemic. i'll stop there.

more like such a scenario ranges from expensive proposition to nickel and dime you to til you're dead.... dunno if the untuned version reaches 'one heck of a sports car' levels of driving either.... look we all love 'em; no one's saying we don't - but then why does almost everyone come on and say, "looking for more...."

i'll tell you why: (cuz, they ain't smoking the tires very much coming out of a turn).

even a 5.3 V8 ends this dilemma in spades for pennies on the dollar.

anyhow, the 944 supercar haters continue to grow fewer....

wondering when the day will come... they rip this joint, and cross over to the darkside.
oh man that's some powerful stuff, where do you buy it? is it Sativa or Indica?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:51 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
oh man that's some powerful stuff, where do you buy it? is it Sativa or Indica?
When you've driven a Z06 and an 948 with the exact same engine implant, your outlook changes to "Porsche needs to up their game" or "Porsche has some serious game selling lethargic powerplants to born suckers "
Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by xschop
When you've driven a Z06 and an 948 with the exact same engine implant, your outlook changes to "Porsche needs to up their game" or "Porsche has some serious game selling lethargic powerplants to born suckers "
Look you don't need to find excuses for your inability to properly built and enjoy a 951, i totally understand there is always an option when you fail Iam glad you are enjoy it.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:01 PM
xschop
Drifting

Hmmmm......
4 banger.......remove engine 4,5,6 times
V8 implant......remove once
Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by xschop
Hmmmm......
4 banger.......remove engine 4,5,6 times
V8 implant......remove once
Oh yeah they never blown, are you using the same weed as odu?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM
xschop
Drifting

Only someone rebuilding the crapasil block for the 4th time would have to be stoned.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

The problem is not in Alusil. The most advanced engines of today use Alusil since it is the best cylinder material available and the most advanced car companies (all from Germany ofcourse) are using it.

Problem is in Alusil's natural selection. It doesn't tolerate ignorant hold my beer type of engineers.

That approach seems to work well on ancient GM pushrod type of engines though.

Quick Reply: Motor #4 Comming Out