Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks like you're good to go.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the responses to this post arre a perfect example of why this forum is AWESOME!

I have been playing some with my Corvette and though there are tons of information and parts available quick, personal, informative and specific responses like these are hard to come by.

BTW, I have been running the stock AFM likely maxed out. Though I realize that a MAF and/or Rogue A Tune or Vitesse would move the car to another level the car still makes a lot of power and has been dead on reliable with the stock AFM and a drop in K&N. The driveability has been VERY good as well.

I am running a LR53 Turbo, 951/Max chipset along with exhaust upgrades, 3bar, dual port wastegate, etc., etc. The car pulls HARD!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxrick
the responses to this post arre a perfect example of why this forum is AWESOME!

I have been playing some with my Corvette and though there are tons of information and parts available quick, personal, informative and specific responses like these are hard to come by.

BTW, I have been running the stock AFM likely maxed out. Though I realize that a MAF and/or Rogue A Tune or Vitesse would move the car to another level the car still makes a lot of power and has been dead on reliable with the stock AFM and a drop in K&N. The driveability has been VERY good as well.

I am running a LR53 Turbo, 951/Max chipset along with exhaust upgrades, 3bar, dual port wastegate, etc., etc. The car pulls HARD!
This site is awesome and very well behaved, there are some threads that seam a bit hostile, but at times it seems like people pulling each others chain without really meaning offense.

I ask stupid questions and people offer advice based on their experience, I try to hear what they say and try and temper my over enthusiasm! I usually get great links, diagrams and narrative explanations, pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing how your car performs, I have problems with patience with this car and want to do it all now, won't have a wife for long if I do that, so I look out for great deals and I am slowly getting all the parts.

Last edited by TheAllusionist; 07-29-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember the Bmw 735i's airflow meter as being humongous. You may have to swap the circuit boards... but just remember one thing. AFMs dont measure volume. So as soon as the door is swung all the way open, and its reading 5V or so, the ecu is adding fuel based on the chips map.

Its a great recipe for a blown headgasket if you ask me... and Ive blown a few running a K27/8 on a AFM years ago. I went to a MAF and havent looked back.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:15 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Thanks, just feeling the waters and gaining knowledge, may end up just letting it do the best it can and trust the A/F gauge to make sure I am running in tolerances.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

An A/F wide band gauge is a must. I didnt use one, and I blew a headgasket two times.

The first time, I found a pre turbo intake leak. A Wide band would have shown a lean condition.

The second time it happened, I was clueless. After a few days of troubleshooting, I found that the fuel pressure would go from 43 psi to 20 psi after 40 minutes of so. A wide band would have prevented this as well.

For me, replacing a blown head gasket is nothing more than a ruined Saturday afternoon, but if you arent mechanically inclined, having a wide band will save you thousands of dollars
Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Thanks, I have a LR gauge kit for under the radio that has manual boost control, boost gauge and A/F wide band that I will put in when I do all the parts. Not really into replacing head gaskets all the time!
Old 05-03-2015, 07:09 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Default Vitesse Stealth MAF

Revisiting the topic as I purchase a Vitisse Racing MAF never used for $500.00 on eBay (couldn't pass it up) a while ago and want to try and adapt it to a Stealth application. since I contacted them and they said they don't sell Stealth MAFs anymore. Before I started that I thought I would ask if anyone had a Vitisse Stealth MAF for sell or Trade?

Again, I have a 944 Turbo with under 48,000 original miles and trying to keep it stock looking, hence the pursuance of a stealth MAF. I am just looking at options, one side of me says keep it stock as it is becoming rare and the other says, beef up the performance, what ever I do I won't put a big cone filter on this car and may just put on the Burke test pipe and keep the rest of the upgrades hidden.

I have updated intercooler, 55 lb fuel injectors, Adjustable FPR, LR dual port wastegate, Burke test pipe, ported intake manifold and bored TB that I plan on installing on car and struggling with having a KKK 26-8 built for it or a KKK 27-8 which would be the last power enhancement.

I have M030 struts that I will have rebuilt and buy matching Koni shocks and I plan on buy the 968 or better M030 sway bar package and add stainless steel brake lines........

Then leave it alone and drive it....

I could end up leaving the stock AFM and build to it's max capability. In anyevent, thought that if someone had a Vitisse Stealth they wanted to sell or trade, I wouldn't tear into my parts trying to fabricate one.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:46 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Forum peeps please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the stealth application replaces the AFM with the MAF and keeps the rest of the stock airbox/plumbing. You need an adapter for between the 4 bolt airbox to 3" pipe, and put the MAF in the J-boot at the other end, then 3" silicon hose between the adapter and other side of the MAF cut to length. You would run the standard MAF maps. The later Vitesse MAF pipes are not chromed and lend themselves great to this application.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:19 PM
jc in rb
Racer

I seem to remember the afm being machined out to hold the maf pipe inside the afm body leaving everything else stock looking...?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:30 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Thanks, I will track down a bad stock AFM and look into boring it out to match Vittisse pipe and go from there.

Of course I have read threads where people say the snorkel is too restrictive, but if I only plan on 320 to 350 BHP I think I would be safe.

Cheers!
Old 05-04-2015, 06:00 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

and for the record, I witnessed a modified 2.5l AFM 951 put down 375rwhp/350rwtq last week. So yes, they do flow & meter up until at least 375rwhp
Old 05-05-2015, 04:53 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Wow! and I had always heard 300-320 I believe, good to know.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Pay close attention to how the car runs. If you change the way the air flows over the MAF sensor, you ideally need to change the calibration.

A MAF takes a sampling of air and extrapolates out how much actual volume is flowing. Move the sensor around to a different place in the air stream, and the sample-to-actual-airflow ratio might be different.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:32 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If interested, I have a 27/6 built by Charlie at Evergreen turbo. He actually used my 26/8 wheel, and clipped it to reduce backpressure. It will not max out the AFM as some larger turbos will. This was actually the second 27/6 he built for me, as the first one did out flow the AFM. Which was evident when looking at the datalog. I also have a Vitesse smt-6 and chip if interested that was designed to work with stock or 55lb injectors with the AFM.

The turbo may have about 3000 miles, but probably less. I had two cars that I consolidated into one, so no longer need. Using the larger 27/6 and standalone EMS.

To be clear the chip in the DME is for a AFM setup not MAF, in interested in a plug and play setup, Also have the engine harness with the smt-6 already wired in, mine was also an 86.

Steve

Quick Reply: Are there Stock AFM Performance Modifications