Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Argh yet again... misfire over 5000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Are you sure the polarity is right? The color of the wires is counter-intuitive. Which color wire do you have going to the positive coil terminal?
Polarity was NOT correct on the MSD coil.

Polarity on the stock coil IS correct (black wire to (+) and green wire to (-)) - the actual stud sizes on the coil are different. One stud is larger than the other - enough of a difference to prevent you from being able to swap the connectors.

It's *possible*, I suppose, the stock coil was still weak/going/whatever, and the MSD *would have* fixed it, had I not wired it backwards (?). But something else is now definitely broken and preventing spark.

Reading up now on possible causes/reasons/fixes for why I'd have fuel, tach bounce, 12v at the coil, a clean connection from the (-) back to the DME (no shorts, did a quick ohm check last night)... and still no spark.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Another brief update: Traffic SUCKED this morning... after driving 1.5 hours and seeing the road sign say "110 minutes" from where I was to downtown - I turned around. F that.

Upside: took another look at the car. Hotwired the KLR (pins 9 to 16) and...... VROOM. Car starts. Reconnect KLR, no start.

I now have an official starting point to investigate.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:12 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Polarity was NOT correct on the MSD coil.

Polarity on the stock coil IS correct (black wire to (+) and green wire to (-)) - the actual stud sizes on the coil are different. One stud is larger than the other - enough of a difference to prevent you from being able to swap the connectors.
How did you know the polarity was NOT correct on the blaster? Are there (+) and (-) markings on the MSD blaster?
So the black wire has the larger connector and should go the (+)?
I've got that coil and can't remember for the life of me how I installed it.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

There are + and - markings on the blaster coil
Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
How did you know the polarity was NOT correct on the blaster? Are there (+) and (-) markings on the MSD blaster?
So the black wire has the larger connector and should go the (+)?
I've got that coil and can't remember for the life of me how I installed it.
I don't remember which had the bigger ringlet but the coil is marked.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:05 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Well... new KLR arrived (thanks Lart!), swapped stock coil back in... misfire still present. Swapped MSD coil back in (wired correctly this time)... misfire still present. Ohm'd out most of the wiring harness, no shorts that I could find.

My dad stopped by, we ran it in the garage with a timing light on the plug wires (to see if we could see the spark drop out) while it misfired... couldn't see anything obvious (light stayed smoothly lit) but on the 3rd rev, as I dropped the throttle, a big plume of smoke came out the tail pipe. Didn't think anything of it but when I shut the car off - noticed the coolant bottle puked coolant.

Not sure WTF broke now but I am soooo beyond pissed off at this thing!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:57 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you may have found the cause of your misfire, hear me out and ask me how I know later

Under high boost (high rpm and load) your head gasket was compromised enough to allow coolant into the combustion chamber and reduce the combustability of the air fuel mixture enough to cause a misfire. Under low boost (low rpm and load) the head gasket seal was "good enough" to keep the coolant where it should be and not cause a misfire.

The timing light on the plug wires wouldn't show an issue as the problem wasn't electrical, it was an issue after the spark plugs, not before them. Unforunately the strain on the cooling system of running and revving the engine without airflow over the radiator was enough to overheat the engine (coolant overflow) and finally pop the head gasket (smoke out the exhaust).

Pull head, replace gasket, re-check for misfire under load.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:28 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
I think you may have found the cause of your misfire, hear me out and ask me how I know later

Under high boost (high rpm and load) your head gasket was compromised enough to allow coolant into the combustion chamber and reduce the combustability of the air fuel mixture enough to cause a misfire. Under low boost (low rpm and load) the head gasket seal was "good enough" to keep the coolant where it should be and not cause a misfire.

The timing light on the plug wires wouldn't show an issue as the problem wasn't electrical, it was an issue after the spark plugs, not before them. Unforunately the strain on the cooling system of running and revving the engine without airflow over the radiator was enough to overheat the engine (coolant overflow) and finally pop the head gasket (smoke out the exhaust).

Pull head, replace gasket, re-check for misfire under load.
ahhhh sheet! I think you're right. What a PIA!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Think so?

What would the HG have to do with the misfire getting much worse with headlights on?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Think so?

What would the HG have to do with the misfire getting much worse with headlights on?
Weak spark + head gasket? Weakened spark from extra load of headlights causing stumble to get worse at high rpm, with the underlying cause being a head gasket on the way out? Two terrible events conspiring to annoy you? I'm not sure what the root cause of the the weak spark is, if there is one, but based on what just happened I really think you saved yourself getting stranded by a blown head gasket by having it fail in the garage. That's all the signs of a blown head gasket, and if it was failing slowly, as mine did, strange stuff happened to me at higher rpm when that happened. Crap luck but I'd do some tests for the HG, see what comes of it.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:57 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Definitely could be - though I'm still not convinced the spark is weak. I mean, it sure as hell behaves like a weakened spark but the fact that I ran fresh wiring and it still sputtered... *shrug*

I still haven't really truly and fully tested the theories given to me on the previous page (alternator generating A/C current, etc.) I'll try to get to that this week. Also thinking I'm going to try running a complete fresh set of reference sensor wires back to the DME. Easy enough to do, and that'll eliminate the bizarre scenario that Sid referenced.

I'll also do a quick compression test, and pressurize the cooling system, to look for obvious HG leaks. I'll also order up a new HG today - so I can do the HG over the weekend if I decide to skip going to COTA.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Could you tell if the smoke was oil or coolant? Oil smells like, well, burning oil -- and lingers in the air much longer/heavier than coolant. Coolant in exhaust is essentially steam and burns off like steam. If you had coolant in the exhaust and coolant overflow after high revs, then chances are you haven't wasted money ordering the new HG... I've seen plugs literally drip coolant when removed, when the HG is completely shot. Try pulling the plugs right after running it, and look for coolant. Either way, oil or coolant can foul new plugs and create weak spark.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Quickbeam
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar misfire issue last year. It was in fact my head gasket. I could get a few boost runs before it would carry on. I did a leak down test with the coolant cap off and pushed coolant out of the bottle on cyl #4.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Could you tell if the smoke was oil or coolant? Oil smells like, well, burning oil -- and lingers in the air much longer/heavier than coolant. Coolant in exhaust is essentially steam and burns off like steam. If you had coolant in the exhaust and coolant overflow after high revs, then chances are you haven't wasted money ordering the new HG... I've seen plugs literally drip coolant when removed, when the HG is completely shot. Try pulling the plugs right after running it, and look for coolant. Either way, oil or coolant can foul new plugs and create weak spark.
Smoke was white. Did not get the chance to smell it (car was in the garage but the tail pipe was aimed out the open door) but combined with the overflow bottle... I'd say chances are, it was coolant.

Originally Posted by Quickbeam
I had a similar misfire issue last year. It was in fact my head gasket. I could get a few boost runs before it would carry on. I did a leak down test with the coolant cap off and pushed coolant out of the bottle on cyl #4.
*sigh*

Funny thing is, I was thinking it was a HG months ago.

Guess I'll just plan on doing it. Can't really hurt, it'll just cost me a few bucks in gaskets plus a weekend...
Old 09-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, late to the party, but Ignition miss coupled to a Blaster Coil reminded me of Rogue_Ant's 2/10/2013 post 'Tech: The 944/951 Ignition System'. A work of literary/electronic Art. Bottom line is, compatibility of the 'Blaster' may require some electronic's adjustment depending on the Model used. just saying.

Quick Reply: Argh yet again... misfire over 5000rpm