Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial SS HTA G35 .82 turbo review

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:46 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tial SS HTA G35 .82 turbo review

I was out of the country during the holidays, and finished the TIAL/Garrett turbo installation last Saturday. Upon startup, the turbo was actually building enough boost to force the BOV to slightly open for vacuum. We had to retune the Electromotive for idle, part throttle, etc. The maps designed for the Precision caused bucking, stalling, etc. We cleaned it up and went WOT to see the low boost (Greddy 1 bar 14.7 psi) setting using the Presision Turbo, the TIAL turbo hit 20psi immediately. We turned down the Greddy with no control. We then went to the high boost level to see if we had control, and let up at 23psi by 3300rpm, turned the high level down and hit 20 psi again. I'm installing a 7psi spring tonight to get the low boost setting back in control using a much lower PSI internal spring.

We still have some tuning to do, as we went rich everywhere just to be safe until we have the time on the road and mustang dyno to get the new turbo dialed in. We were surprised the tuning had to be so drastically changed just from a turbo replacement.

This unit is so driver friendly the car doesn't feel like a turbo motor. You have immediate boost, and hit 20psi well before 3500rpm. I'd have to read the data logs to say exactly when, but things are happening fast when driving. In 6th gear on the freeway at 1800rpm, I have 4lbs of boost by 2K. This is the fastest spooling turbo I've ever had on these cars and it outflows the shelf Garrett GT35 .82. We'll work on the timing, fuel, etc. to find how well this unit really works on my car.

The ceramic coating on the intake, and heat emitter coating on all boost tubes and intercooler work. The intake air temps are less then ambient. We'll know the numbers when we get to the dyno. Impressive stuff and worth consideration.

TIAL recently sent a killer hotside blanket in black that I'll install this weekend. They've tried all brands, and this worked by far the best including all ceramic coatings. You can't see it anyway, and I just want things as cool as possible. My water temps are 20 degrees lower, and oil temps are cooler when stopped at a light.

Here are a few pictures of the install and coatings.

G
Attached Images     
Old 01-13-2015, 06:31 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great! I am sold on Garrett DBB all the way. Best turbo for a large motor IMO.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Must have uploaded that photo while you're down under?

no more bling! I'm keen for results. good luck.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:52 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrads on the new setup. Thanks for the update. Just curious. Can you measure pre turbo boost pressure on your crossover pipe?

I'm thinking this turbo is what I will use on the new project car. I don't know yet if the compressor I have is a GT30 or GT35.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Congrads on the new setup. Thanks for the update. Just curious. Can you measure pre turbo boost pressure on your crossover pipe?

I'm thinking this turbo is what I will use on the new project car. I don't know yet if the compressor I have is a GT30 or GT35.
I know what you mean but the gt30 refers to the turbine. The '76' or '81' refers to the compressor size.

For example my cousin bought a gt3576r for his 2jz rx8 drift build. You can measure the wheels and and you'll know what you have.

on a 2.5L a gt3582r is just to big.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:54 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by refresh951
Looks great! I am sold on Garrett DBB all the way. Best turbo for a large motor IMO.
TIAL only uses the Garrett dual bb center section. The SS housings and HTA wheels were all designed by TIAL with Garrett's blessing as partners sharing revenue.

Just got home and did a 4th gear pull from 2200rpm. Hard to tell, but this turbo is hitting 20psi by around 3200rpm. Crappy video, and we've much tuning work to complete. Amazing what TIAL has done with the GT35/.82 turbo with their housings and wheels. I've driven a few GT35 cars, and this unit is impressive. First one on a 951...

G
Old 01-13-2015, 09:03 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great turbo. Both cw and myself were very impressed with the minimal lag and overall performance, no weak points.
Our cars look very similar and what's funny is my intake...was all black and I changed everything to polished now I see you have changed to black lol.
What cam are you using?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I know what you mean but the gt30 refers to the turbine. The '76' or '81' refers to the compressor size.

For example my cousin bought a gt3576r for his 2jz rx8 drift build. You can measure the wheels and and you'll know what you have.

Hey Paul,

Neat meeting you in Melbourne. Chris was impressed with your printing glass work, your "first" car and you. Give him a call, he's interested in your glass work in their dealerships. He commented, "I like that mate." He's going places.

G
Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 PM
George D
Drifting

Sure, but the manifold pressure readings Electromotive records is highly accurate. We had to change the tune to allow zero pressure including a stronger TB closing spring. We thought there was a vacuum leak, but turned out to be the TB opening from slight boost pressure at idle. I get this isn't normal, hence one of our last findings towards remedy.

G
Old 01-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
Hey Paul,

Neat meeting you in Melbourne. Chris was impressed with your printing glass work, your "first" car and you. Give him a call, he's interested in your glass work in their dealerships. He commented, "I like that mate." He's going places.

G
George, Was great catching up! Hope you enjoyed your time here & NZ. I never got a card off him, If you can send an email though with his number and i'll be more than happy to give him a call.

Paul,
Old 01-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Interested in the blanket from TiAl. Any more information, pics?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:15 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Engine is going to be the 2.85 offset grind. In process of pulling blown engine from the RAGE2 car. Yes sorry I guess I mean turbo

Originally Posted by Paulyy

Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds very impressive George and very interested to seee what you think once dialed in. Loving the black set up too. Looks tough
Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Engine is going to be the 2.85 offset grind. In process of pulling blown engine from the RAGE2 car. Yes sorry I guess I mean turbo
ohh!!
You probably should get a GT3076R or GTX or HTA. They're a plenty size turbo. .82 turbine housing. Or even a 3576R.
A 3582R is on the money for a 3L
Unless you don't mind lag!!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:54 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Is this a T3 or T4 housing?

Quick Reply: Tial SS HTA G35 .82 turbo review