Catch cans and crank pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 02:38 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
Call Steve to see if they have any left, or plan on continuing manufacturing these. Sean Martinez, fellow 951 owner, past expert poster, designed this piece with TIAL using his 951 while interning with Nissan.

Steve R Zemla
Applications Engineer
Marketing Manager
TiAL Sport
tialsport.com
(989)- 729- 8553
Thanks George!
Old 02-12-2015, 03:33 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Like I said very early in this thread, this is the conclusion I have come up with as well.
This after much pondering, like all the thoughts in this thread.

I even thought of a strong electrical vacuum pump that would have enough capacity to create decent crankcase vacuum even under high boost/rpm situations (might as well free up some power, if I'm gonna do this, I thought), and install a vacuum release valve for low load situations (can't have too much vacuum)
But, I don't think there's an electrical pump reliable enough for sustained use, and would also use up alot of electrical power.
So how about this? Not sure if you're running powersteering?

http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/catalog/pumps/

And i've also read something about using the vacuum from the DP, but i'm not sure how the use that..
Old 02-12-2015, 06:56 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Thanks George!
Sure. Let folks know if they are still making them. This is the easiest way to install a Garrett turbo on our cars and being able to use V-Bands on both sides is a beautiful thing towards ease of removal/install.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:01 PM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update,

I now run the pcv after the catch can. I still use a cam tower port but I consider buying a 928motorsport oïl filler cap and drill it to remove the pressure from the crank without disturbing the cam oïl flow.

To avoid sucking too much oïl, I put a 1/32" restrictor at the catch can inlet and a second check valve after the pcv just to be safe.

100 miles since the install, there's a light vacuum in the crankcase at idle. It increases when throttle is applied (plastic bag test) and the catch can is still dry. There's a very light amount of oïl in the restrictor area, it has nothing to do with the previous set up (without any restrictor, my IC pipe was full of oïl flowing from the intake manifold...).

I run the AOS line directly to the MAF tree.

I believe there's a quite simple way to solve this issue. As we know, the MAF pipe doesn't provide enough vaccum to suck the crank pressure from the AOS. I wonder if we can't modifiy the MAF pipe to put a kind of "flap" (a very small one) inside the pipe. This way, the air running from the filter to the turbo hits an obstruction which provides a lower pressure area behind it which should help venting from the AOS. If it works for splitter and air dam, it should work for such an application...
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2015, 04:11 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that's an interesting idea!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the tips given in this thread. My engine also has some blowby under boost which pushes a little oil out of the AOS vent.

At first I wasn't sure if the threaded plugs on the cam tower were a good location for a vent, so I did a quick test. I simply removed one of the plugs and started the engine. I was prepared to see oil flying everywhere, but to my surprise there was no oil at all. I could feel a moderate puff of air coming out of the hole, but no oil. I revved the engine and still no oil flew out. Then I removed a second plug and started the engine. The puff of air was barely noticeable anymore and there was no oil flying out of the second plug either.

I bought parts and installed a catch can with -8AN fittings and hoses. Here's a couple pics. After 3 weeks of use and regular full throttle pulls there's no oil in the catch can at all. A nice benefit is the oil seals on the engine seem to leak less, probably because there's less crankcase pressure pushing oil past the seals.

Thanks again everyone, my car is a little nicer now.
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Thanks Dave -- great info. My car is in for a little paint work (long overdue) so can't tinker with it now. When I get it back I'll compare this to the T and check valve I added to the AOS vent/drain line. I was able to try my approach for a few days before going in for paining, and I definitely got some oil in the can so will check to see if the cam tower ports produce less. Any particular reason you vented two ports?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thanks Dave -- great info. My car is in for a little paint work (long overdue) so can't tinker with it now. When I get it back I'll compare this to the T and check valve I added to the AOS vent/drain line. I was able to try my approach for a few days before going in for paining, and I definitely got some oil in the can so will check to see if the cam tower ports produce less. Any particular reason you vented two ports?
I vented two ports to reduce air velocity through the vent lines. If air was moving too fast it might blow oil out. It's also the reason for using -8AN lines.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Good info, thanks.

Can you just precise if you have the AOS venting to atmosphere or recirculating back into the compressor inlet? Hard to see from the pictures, and it looks like the car is not quite stock.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:02 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W.
I vented two ports to reduce air velocity through the vent lines. If air was moving too fast it might blow oil out. It's also the reason for using -8AN lines.
Looks good Dave. Do you still have crankcase vacuum at idle?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:04 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
What is normal crankcase vacuum att idle? And how can I test if I have exessive crankcase pressure?

Thanks
Peder
Old 03-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thom
Good info, thanks.

Can you just precise if you have the AOS venting to atmosphere or recirculating back into the compressor inlet? Hard to see from the pictures, and it looks like the car is not quite stock.
Originally Posted by refresh951
No my car is not stock. My AOS line is vented. There's no extra lines on the turbo inlet pipe. I don't have any gauges on the crankcase, but that gives me an idea; I have a spare boost gauge, I wonder if I can just temporarily shove a hose down the dipstick tube and get an accurate measurement?
Old 03-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W.
No my car is not stock. My AOS line is vented. There's no extra lines on the turbo inlet pipe. I don't have any gauges on the crankcase, but that gives me an idea; I have a spare boost gauge, I wonder if I can just temporarily shove a hose down the dipstick tube and get an accurate measurement?
I used a bigger hose I could squeeze over the tube, then clamped it on with a hose clamp -- then T'd it down to a hose for the gauge. Worked like champ...
Old 03-29-2015, 05:08 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or this...

Name:  image-1925931725.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  545.8 KB
Old 03-29-2015, 05:35 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This pathetic app only allows one pic at a time, Ughh this is so frustrating!!!

Name:  image-4024326406.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  447.3 KB

Quick Reply: Catch cans and crank pressure