Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

'88 951 - Rehab, Mod, Dyno, M Tune etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 03:55 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default '88 951 - Rehab, Mod, Dyno, M Tune etc

Have a thread in the main 944/968 forum, but things are getting a bit more 951 specific. Bought the car in December... so far I've rehabbed the interior, redone the stereo, caught the car up on maintenance (re-seal front of the motor, timing belt/water pump, new fuel lines, new motor mounts, suspension refresh) and now the car is going in for M-Tune/MBC/AFR + Boost Gauges.

In preparation I took the car down for a baseline dyno so I can see exactly where the car stands now and what kind of change the M-Tune gives... The way the car sits now it's got a worked 944 #6 housing that Charlie @ Evergreen worked some magic on... k27 compressor section, 360 thrust set. The car also came with a Tial WG (F38 I believe) and Autothority chips with a 1999 date on them. The only performance modification I've done to the car is a 3" Lindsey exhaust because the stock cat had a rattle...

It looks like there will be quite a bit of room for improvement with the M-Tune based on the AFR's. The car went very rich from 2k-3500 RPM's and then went lean as it hit boost (peaking at around 13.8)... With how stable the AFR's are it looks like the Autothority chip is much more suited to a stock turbo and doesn't compensate for the extra air the Evergreen turbo is moving. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with these numbers, though.

The car gets dropped off tomorrow morning for the M-Tune install and after that it will go straight back to the same dyno at the same time of day for a comparison. I have the full sheet I'll scan at some point... it was a DynoJet for anyone wondering.

Edit: Should add, currently at ~16lbs or so of boost.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see the results. That's already a decent power (especially torque) for a 2.5l in my book. Gives me even more enthusiasm for my turbo/exhaust upgrades later on.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 185 Posts

Sounds like its running pretty darn lean up high! As far as I understand your fueling curve is almost inverse of what it actually should be, as in the cars will tolerate a little bit of a lean hole down low to use to heat to kick the turbo, then it wants to be fat once its on boost.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:14 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

I would be VERY careful with an AFR much above 12.5 at that RPM. When I was doing some tuning on the Dyno I told them that if they saw an AFR of 12.5 or higher at WOT at higher RPM's to let off the throttle.

13.8 at higher RPM's is playing Russian Roulette with multiple bullets in the chamber.

Do you have a 3 bar FPR?
Old 03-19-2015, 06:31 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Henry
Can't wait to see the results. That's already a decent power (especially torque) for a 2.5l in my book. Gives me even more enthusiasm for my turbo/exhaust upgrades later on.
Me either, looking forward to getting it dialed in.

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Sounds like its running pretty darn lean up high! As far as I understand your fueling curve is almost inverse of what it actually should be, as in the cars will tolerate a little bit of a lean hole down low to use to heat to kick the turbo, then it wants to be fat once its on boost.
Definitely lean up top; agreed on the inverse of what it should be.

Originally Posted by fejjj
I would be VERY careful with an AFR much above 12.5 at that RPM. When I was doing some tuning on the Dyno I told them that if they saw an AFR of 12.5 or higher at WOT at higher RPM's to let off the throttle.

13.8 at higher RPM's is playing Russian Roulette with multiple bullets in the chamber.

Do you have a 3 bar FPR?
The scary thing is, from what I can tell, the car has been running this setup for about 2 years or so (minus the exhaust)! After seeing it was lean, we didn't got for a second run. One and done for the baseline.

I have a 3 bar FPR along with the rest of the M Tune setup. It'll all be going in next week (dropping off the car tomorrow morning).
Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an FYI, the most dangerous area for the motor is peak-torque...
That is where the tune should be the most conservative (e.g. richest AFR, least timing advance).

Remember the FQS settings have changed compared to factory. Lots of adjustment there, if you need it.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:28 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Just an FYI, the most dangerous area for the motor is peak-torque...
That is where the tune should be the most conservative (e.g. richest AFR, least timing advance).

Remember the FQS settings have changed compared to factory. Lots of adjustment there, if you need it.
Thanks for the tip. I'm not looking to run it on the ragged edge, looking for a safe setup. Pretty sure I'll be reaching out to you for tips after it's installed and headed back to the dyno. Hopefully I won't be reaching out to you due to chip issues (mine came from Lindsey around the same time Dave was having trouble with his chip burner).
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Slight delay on the M Tune install. There was some confusion and my kit shipped with the wrong size hose for my turbo... also found out that for some reason my '88 is running a 24 pin DME (doh!) Emailed Lindsey this morning, had a phone call from Dave a couple hours later, fast forward to 4PM and I've got a tracking # for the correct hose and a DME conversion kit. Very quick, responsive service from Lindsey.

Looking forward to getting it back together and back on the dyno for the comparison.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:27 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately the before/after dyno with everything constant except for the m tune won't be happening... First drive after M Tune install and the turbo let go, won't really know what happened until it's out of the car. Most likely will go to a different turbo.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:42 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nooo, use the same turbo.

Just being selfish because I'm really curious - we look to have nearly identical setups presently (K27/6, TiAL wastegate, 3" exhaust) .

The dyno above was with stock airbox/afm & black **** controller? I think that's great for 14 psi!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:10 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Nooo, use the same turbo.

Just being selfish because I'm really curious - we look to have nearly identical setups presently (K27/6, TiAL wastegate, 3" exhaust) .

The dyno above was with stock airbox/afm & black **** controller? I think that's great for 14 psi!
I'm really bummed because I was very curious to see the overlay . We'll see, re-build of the current turbo is the cheap option, but it may be a good time to jump to DBB.

Dyno above was stock airbox/afm and no boost controller. Best guess is ~16lbs.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:32 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That really sucks Kris.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Super interested as I'm in the same boat current & upgrade wise. I really need to get a baseline done.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:51 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is an overlay of the A-Tune vs M-Tune.
Same car, same day, same boost, same timing curve, same target AFR.
Also, keep in-mind that the A-Tune already has a pretty decent curve.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 AM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
That really sucks Kris.
Definitely a bummer and odd since the turbo was rebuilt within the last 2 yrs based on the info that came with the car. May luck out though, friend of mine that's building a 2.8L track car has a new t3/t04e laying around that should work.

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Here is an overlay of the A-Tune vs M-Tune.
Same car, same day, same boost, same timing curve, same target AFR.
Also, keep in-mind that the A-Tune already has a pretty decent curve.
Thanks Josh. Exactly what I wanted to see, appreciate it!

Quick Reply: '88 951 - Rehab, Mod, Dyno, M Tune etc