Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Passenger window goes down but not up...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger window goes down but not up...

Worked fine until...just a few moments ago.

Electric lift goes down but not up. Same behavior when operated by the driver and passenger switch. Pulled the relay, whacked it a bit. No change. Driver window is fine.

Suggestions on where to start? Of course I was planning to drive the car on a roadtrip tomorrow and this discombobulates the plan...
Old 03-28-2015, 01:58 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I just went through something similar, but opposite... mine wouldn't go down, but would go up. My issue turned out to be a broken wire in the driver's door.

The power for BOTH windows goes into the driver's door first - then the power for the passenger window goes OUT the drivers door, along the firewall, and into the passenger door.

It sends TWO (+) wires over to the passenger door - a separate line for UP and DOWN. Sounds like you lost your signal on the (+) wire that makes the window go up. With the key on and no buttons pressed you should have 12v at both pins 4 and 5 on the passenger switch. The switch connects ground and reverses the polarity to the motor. My guess is that you lost 12v on one of them.

From there I'd start tracing wires, from the passenger door switch, through the connector in each footwell, over to the driver's door, and figure out where you lose continuity.

You'll want to make sure that you have continuity from either pin 5 on the passenger switch (on the passenger side), all the way to pin 2 on the passenger switch on the driver's side - OR - pin 4 on the passenger switch (on the passenger side) to pin 1 on the passenger switch (on the driver's side).
Old 03-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try replacing the switch. Mine was bad.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:43 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Broken window regulator. The rollers snap off the arm and out of the track.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:35 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Try replacing the switch. Mine was bad.
He tested with the other switch from the driver's door.

Originally Posted by gpr8er
Broken window regulator. The rollers snap off the arm and out of the track.
I think he'd still hear the motor whir then, no?
Old 03-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Thanks. After some futzing with the lift relay, I can get the window to go up intermittently. I pulled the cover off the relay, it gets really hot - is this normal? (has a big heat sink so maybe yes?) Same level of heat on both windows, not just one side.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a fluky relay but also looking closely at Jim's advise above on the wiring.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
He tested with the other switch from the driver's door.
Sorry - what I meant above is that the problem is the same regardless if you use the driver door switch or the passenger door switch to operate the window.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Sorry - what I meant above is that the problem is the same regardless if you use the driver door switch or the passenger door switch to operate the window.
Ah.

Then I would first advise swapping switches around. Use the drivers window switch in both passenger window switch spots and see if the problem goes away.

If it does it's probably a bad switch as suggested above.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ah.

Then I would first advise swapping switches around. Use the drivers window switch in both passenger window switch spots and see if the problem goes away.

If it does it's probably a bad switch as suggested above.
But if the problem is the same with the passenger door switch and the drivers door switch, my thinking is that the problem is not specific to a switch. If just one switch acted funny, then yes I would think it's a switch. But maybe I am missing the point.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:12 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would pull the door card and see if the regulator is indeed broken. They are known to do this and in fact my car had this same problem. The regulator binds up and won't lift the window. Someone?? Maybe Rennline makes this kit to replace the roller. The OE one is not replaceable.

Quick Reply: Passenger window goes down but not up...