Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Powered 924S

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Powered 924S

I am thinking down the road with this idea. Once I get my 3.3L long block built, I will be dropping my "bolt-on" modded 951 motor from my 86. I will need a couple items from the 951 motor but for the most part it will stay complete.

And it would be a shame to have that motor sitting in my garage. Being recently rebuilt it is in very healthy condition. And a good friend of mine has a nice 924S shell sitting around...

So, I know this swap was done at least once and covered in Excellence magazine. Besides that I am not too sure of anyone completing the swap and I have not seen any recent threads on the subject. So has anyone else done it? I know a couple people have swapped early N/A cars to turbo, and this would be the same situation.

I know the hardware aspect of it will be relatively straight forward. Only hiccup would be mounting the inter cooler (cutting nose panel and replacing with 951 unit). The big thing for me would be the wiring. I know the engine harness is, for the most part, stand alone and would not have to interface to much with the chassis harness. But what else would it take?

And before anyone says it I know the suspension, brakes, and trans are not suited for a turbo motor. Blah blah Just dreaming out loud here..
Old 04-08-2015, 05:16 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Feather
I am thinking down the road with this idea. Once I get my 3.3L long block built, I will be dropping my "bolt-on" modded 951 motor from my 86. I will need a couple items from the 951 motor but for the most part it will stay complete.

And it would be a shame to have that motor sitting in my garage. Being recently rebuilt it is in very healthy condition. And a good friend of mine has a nice 924S shell sitting around...

So, I know this swap was done at least once and covered in Excellence magazine. Besides that I am not too sure of anyone completing the swap and I have not seen any recent threads on the subject. So has anyone else done it? I know a couple people have swapped early N/A cars to turbo, and this would be the same situation.

I know the hardware aspect of it will be relatively straight forward. Only hiccup would be mounting the inter cooler (cutting nose panel and replacing with 951 unit). The big thing for me would be the wiring. I know the engine harness is, for the most part, stand alone and would not have to interface to much with the chassis harness. But what else would it take?

And before anyone says it I know the suspension, brakes, and trans are not suited for a turbo motor. Blah blah Just dreaming out loud here..

edredas documented his "Engine Transplant" very well here

Many nice pictures, enjoy...ok, the engine was from a 87 turbo
Old 04-08-2015, 06:12 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Will,

I think you should go down this road, the detail that edredas went into with his posts are almost step by step instructions. 951 powered 924s are not common, and the world would be a better place if there were more of them.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it, DO IT DO IT! 86 turbo front suspension will take care of your problems on the brake/suspension front. The rear turbo brakes bolt right on. Koni yellows and your off and running.

It will be glorious!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by H.F.B.

edredas documented his "Engine Transplant" very well here

Many nice pictures, enjoy...ok, the engine was from a 87 turbo
Awesome! Thanks for the thread, I searched over there as well didnt come across that. This may happen, I had been looking for a project 951 for the motor transplant, and had a line on a nice 89 951, but the deal fell through
Old 04-08-2015, 07:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Should be a great conversion but it's probably not quite as simple as it sounds. All the cooling core and plumbing being one of the hurdles.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Should be a great conversion but it's probably not quite as simple as it sounds. All the cooling core and plumbing being one of the hurdles.
I will have all the hoses and plumbing available. As far as routing goes, everything should fit as stock. May just need some extra 951 heat shields. As stated the only issue would be fitting the intercooler.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes but you have to mount the i/c (and radiator) in a car that didn't have one. Plus the ducting. I'm sure that other thread will be very instructional.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

IMO you would get aftermarket intercooler similar size and go sort of V-mount as the 924 has cooling underneath, not front on.
Also vented nose panel from a 931 would be good.

I'd strip the car. make it as light as it can be. with a 951 engine. man it would boogey
Old 04-08-2015, 10:23 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

A friend of mine has one here local and I can tell you it is very quick and is very doable! Look up the Atlanta 944 fest of last year and there are some pics of it.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Forgot to mention that this is my backup plan in a way, if my s2 was hit i would pull the 968 engine, the transaxle, suspension and stuff it into a 924S shell (stripped) and have a *lot* of fun.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:22 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Heh, if you have all the parts available, of course do it. I transplanted a 2.5 16v turbo motor into '83 924 (which didn't even have alloy crossmember that 924S already has) and it is a blast to drive even with current low boost.
924S is quite a bit lighter than 951!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Teddy952
Racer

Originally Posted by Will Feather

Will.. I have been thinking along these lines as well. I just purchased new F/R suspension for my 89 951. If I ever get around to building another motor then Ill have and extra Turbo motor and a stock turbo S suspension to use in a 924S chassis. Its been a long term goal of mine. Ill keep piling up the pieces and hopefully some day it will happen. Where there is a WILL there is a way.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:57 AM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would you keep it skinny? When I've entertained something similar it always has 924GT flares on it...
Old 04-11-2015, 05:07 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Skinny is the sleeper way

Quick Reply: 951 Powered 924S