Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Huntley chips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 11:25 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SM good question a/f ratios are what we should be looking at more closely.

seems that there is not that much of a difference between the three brands, Bill W states that the Guru pulled 240 hp on a boon stock car. although from what i understand Huntley's are made to run at 15 psi to 17 psi.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:07 PM
Billy W
Racer

A/F ratios on the guru were great, on the APE rich middle lean upper, Huntley rich across the board. If you search the archives you will find the write up I did at the time. I used the chips straight out of the box how they arrive to you. APE I used the jetted banjo bolt and with the Guru I used the reliboost and since Huntley does not send anything with their chips we did not use anything either. I am sure that the Huntly chips would do better if the boost was raised, but the point was right out of the box chip test.
I still have the cat on my cat and the only change is an Ansa cat back. Stock the car pulled 190rwhp. So either way the Guru chips increased a real world gain of 50rwhp and for the money you can not beat that.
These runs were back to back and the Guru chips were the last tested after about 10-15 runs.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Lag reduction and low rpm boost are two different things.
Some modifications addresses both, some just one of them.

Bengt
Old 09-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Rviscosi
Advanced

So with the Huntley chips, if there was no inc. in boost I would think the rwhp may have stayed the same or even dropped from stock due to the rich condition? Thats not really a far comparison. Seems like the boost should be adjusted to the same pressure for a test like this.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Billy W
Racer

Rviscosi, the whole point of what I did was I wanted to give a comparison of what you got right out of the box. That way people would know what you got for your money straight from the seller with out adding anything at all.
The Huntly chips dynoed at about 200 if I remember correctly.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Rviscosi
Advanced

Originally posted by Billy W
Rviscosi, the whole point of what I did was I wanted to give a comparison of what you got right out of the box. That way people would know what you got for your money straight from the seller with out adding anything at all.
The Huntly chips dynoed at about 200 if I remember correctly.

You see what I'm saying though? I think you could gain 30 rwhp going from 11 psi to 15 psi with the Huntley's, don't you think so too? Did the Huntley's cost as much as the Guru kit? I know with Guru you get the boost control and the fpr so its seems like it would be more expensive.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:44 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

rviscosi - doens't it tell you something that huntley no longer even offers his chips?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:55 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll sell you my Huntley chips, I wanna go Guru anyways since I have other plans down the road that may involve Guru.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Billy W
Racer

I think that the huntley would have come in second behind Guru. Also with the Guru chips you can switch between maps and use larger injectors. That alone is a good reason to choose them. Also if you ever make any upgrades you can send the chips back and have them redone cheap.
Instead of chips have you thought about waiting for Fast951 to come out with the software that TT wrote? Then you could use the stock DME like a standalone.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I went from APE II (+LBE) straight to GURU MAP. Because of the MAP sensor, it's more than just a chips-to-chips comparison, but the difference is HUGE. Once you're on the boost, the boost buildup is much, much faster with GURU MAP. It really hits hard in all gears, even fifth. I didn't dyno the APE setup so I can't give a direct hp/torque comparison, but with GURU I'm currently at 270 rwhp/280 ft-lb and that's with only 13 psi at redline and stock cat in place with the stock K26/8. Next step is a WG upgrade, plus bigger injectors, to hold maximum boost to redline. I hope to see around 290-300 rwhp at 15-16 psi.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:14 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Billy,

Did you use the 3 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator that came with the GURU chips?
Old 09-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Blueman33
Pro

ninefiveone writes

rviscosi - doens't it tell you something that huntley no longer even offers his chips?

Porsche no longer offers a 951 or similar charged 4 cylinder, but it doesn't mean it's not a good product.

I don't know about Huntley chips. I changed my chipset to Guru and would not do it again. I did not dyno the chips. My impression is that the only difference I could feel was an irratic idle from APE. They may very well put more hp on a machine but i couldn't feel it, though I could feel the idle.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Clarify.

Sorry for bad wording. The guru chips had the idle problems. I originally had APE chips.

Sorry for the lack of clarity
Old 09-15-2003, 09:51 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a point of referrence concerning Huntley chips, my previous 951 had them with the ARC2.

There were no drivability problems. They operated perfectly, and on pump gas.

Further, these chips (with a K27/6, MAF, 52lbs injectors, ARC2, & Bursch test pipe put down 340RWHP).

Am I using Huntley chips now? No. Why? Because their chips, in the configuration I need, have too much timing and won't run properly on pump fuel. They are race chips, and require race gas.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:09 AM
rcldesign
Racer

I put down 240 with the HR chips with a MBC and chips only (91 octane gas). I've posted the dyno chart before, as this comes up alot, and all the comparisons are BS, really. Like I said before, if you're going to compare chips, the BOOST INCREASING DEVICES that some are packaged with need to be taken in to account. If the chips come with wastegate shimms, banjo bolts, or any other boost reguation devices, those should be eliminated for a fair comparison (chips v. chips). In this case, most all of them will really be rich, and they will really suck.

HR still sells chips, but they don't push them at all in favor of tunable devices (like piggy backs and the like).

Speaking of selling chips, I have a set of HR chips (see above for the HP I made with them) for sale since I've got a stand alone system now. Any offers can be emailed to me.

Quick Reply: Huntley chips?