Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Huntley chips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Rviscosi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huntley chips?

Are they as good as Guru chips? I am thinking of buying them used and they supposedly don't require a different fpr. Does that sound right?
Old 09-04-2003, 04:30 PM
crazyracer
Racer

Buy the guru chips. They are by far the best.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:35 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't require a fpr, but one sure would be nice. I have Huntley's now, and I will be trading them out for Guru's in the near future. I have heard nothing but good about them and I believe the Huntley's may be an older technology that Danno has since improved on.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've actually been able to dial out turbo-lag through software...
Old 09-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Rviscosi
Advanced

Originally posted by Danno

You have email!
Old 09-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

anyone who had APE the huntley and now Guru chips and can tell for sure what is the real world difference?

Konstantin
Old 09-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Konstantin,

I personally haven't noticed that much of a HP difference between the two except the car seems less tempermental with the APE chips. I'm running 15 PSI using a LBE with a shimmed wastegate.

The only difference I noticed is I've had to swap out the Guru's a couple of times for a revised chip and my car still pops through the exhaust. (kind of sounds like my old mustang did) I did notice a slight increase in throttle response just off idle. I also had to suffer through a few shipping commitments that never happened.

My car has a leakdown of 1% or less across all four, freshly cleaned and balanced injectors, no vacuum/boost leaks and a healthy ignition. I'm going to dyno the Guru's, APE's, and Weltmeisters all in the same day to see what the true HP differences are. I'll be sure to post the results.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:41 AM
Gary
Instructor

Originally posted by Konstantin
anyone who had APE the huntley and now Guru chips and can tell for sure what is the real world difference?

Konstantin
I've got both APE II and Huntley on the shelf and GURU in the car. APE's were good to bring the boost on quickly but ran out of steam higher up. Huntley provide a more linear boost curve (seat-of-the-pants actually feels slightly slower but I think this is just a result of the boost curve). They also tend to run richer than needed (they are set up this way to avoid nasty problems with people who over-dial there MBC's a little - i.e. a safety margin).

GURU addresses both set's of problems (IMHO) - boost is brought on quickly and is sustained higher up (helped not insignificantly by the higher pressure FPR). There's also a little more power since the chips are dialed in to the optimum air/fuel ratio.

There's probably other things but I'm not that technical

Finally, to be fair to Derrek at Huntley (I've ordered a few things there in the last few years), his chips are not really intended just to provide standalone instant power gratification - rather, he has designed them to drop in and work effectively with all of the other mods he provides such as MAF/ARC2, Turbo's etc. etc.

Just my 2 centimes,

Gary.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally posted by Danno

I eliminated my cycling valve altogether in favor of a Profec controller. Is the turbo lag still dialed out with your chips? Oh, and I have the Huntley "stage 2" turbo. I actually don't mind the lag, since it makes for quite a rush, but more power down low would be nice.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:58 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally posted by Tom M'Guinn
I eliminated my cycling valve altogether in favor of a Profec controller. Is the turbo lag still dialed out with your chips? Oh, and I have the Huntley "stage 2" turbo. I actually don't mind the lag, since it makes for quite a rush, but more power down low would be nice.
It's impossible to eliminate lag completely. I'm sure Danno means he's reduced it effectively moving usable power lower in RPMs.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:41 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For anybody to say that one chip is better than another is foolish. They obviously don't know what they are talking about.

All chips are exactly the same chip. The only difference is the code loaded on them.

That said, the best chip would be the one that matches your exact modification combo. Unless you have the EXACT same modifications as the next guy, and your engine condition is exactly the same as the next guy, the chips you use may not be perfect for the next guy.

I've run Huntley chips, APE chips, stock chips, and Guru chips.

Guru will work with you to try to find a map that matches your application vs others that have "what they have" and it may work out good or even better than a Guru chip or they may not. Guru is mapping out a lot of different combos lately, and thus the chance of getting the closest map to your specific needs is the highest with Guru.

Therefore, it's not a bad idea to try diffeent chips that are not Guru chips if you get them used for not a lot of money. If you have to buy them new... I'd choose Guru...
Old 09-15-2003, 07:44 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

if anyone is interested in a set of huntley stage 2 chips i got a set for cheap.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:42 AM
Frank Holland
Advanced

Angry

I would love to buy some GURU chips! It seems however that our friend Danno at Guru is to busy!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Billy W
Racer

I dynoed APE, Huntley, and Guru on back to back runs and the Guru pulled 240rwhp on a bone stock 86 turbo. The closest other chip was the APE with 220rwhp and the Huntley's came in behind the APE.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:07 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

How were your A/F ratios, Billy?

Has anyone tried Milledge chips?

Quick Reply: Huntley chips?