944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Commiefornia's new smog laws SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:16 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

the smog guy isn't allowed to remove any parts or disassemble anything during the smog test.
so if you have something questionable...hide it well, behind something that looks factory.
True. The smog guy I use advised me to "hide" anything not stock before bringing the car in. He said cardboard covers taped over the MBC, wideband, etc are fine, as long as he can't see them.
Yes, the wide band AFR is illegal as it is installed in the exhaust....gak
Old 05-19-2015, 11:31 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

pro-tip:
technically they can't do the "evap system check" on your 944 if you have the plastic fender liners installed. it hides the charcoal canister which they would need to clamp a hose to.

...even if your car never came with them from the factory but they still fit
Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting that you can just "cover" things. Still sounds like too much of a giant PITA though.

I wonder if anybody has tried something like this:
Old 05-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
pro-tip:
technically they can't do the "evap system check" on your 944 if you have the plastic fender liners installed. it hides the charcoal canister which they would need to clamp a hose to.

...even if your car never came with them from the factory but they still fit
Funny you say that. The first time I went after this test was added, the tech spent 20 minutes tracing hoses and finally wrote on the certificate that the system was inaccessible without disassembly, so not applicable. The next guy, however, spend a long time tracing hoses and scratching his head, and then just clicked the "passed" box... The real-world implementation of the rules is actually a big part of the frustration around getting smogged in CA. Hard to play darts when the dart board is moving around randomly...
Old 05-19-2015, 12:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

i love the leather covers on that audi - bet that smells interesting when hot..lol

i actually looked up the rules regarding the evap test and the rules said the test had to be done "unless" the tech could not access the charcoal canister vent hose without having to disassemble any part of the car. so if he couldnt get to the canister/hose, he has to skip that part of the test.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:29 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decades ago I had an '86 951 that failed emissions because I left the APE chip in there. Put stock chip in and went back for free re-test. This time the manager took a look and refused to re-test because I had an exposed K&N filter behind headlight. I went to another station and when they pulled up the car, they said they can't test it, only the original station that failed it can. So I went back and again, manager refused. I even pointed out to him that it doesn't require a TAC - a sealed airbox. He refused to even look it up in the book.

So finally I went to the State referee station. They went over everything, every last point in the book, pulled out mirrors to inspect my cat and the welds around it. Didn't even blink twice at the K&N because in the book, there was no inspection or requirement specified for TAC. Ran the emissions test and it passed no problem with stock chips and I was on my way.

Yeah, I think it's how the actual rules are implemented. In my case, the official State of CA inspection, while following a strict interpretation of the rules, passed a car that an independent shop declared outright was illegal.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:45 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPDATE

Got the track car smogged.....here's how

- picked a test only station with a very young tech working
- temporarily installed a correct part number California legal cat into the Lindsey 3" exhaust
- painted the exhaust forward of the cat flat black so it doesn't catch the eye - it looks like an old system with a new cat and an aftermarket fart can muffler when the tech looks under the car with a mirror and crummy flashlight
- left the mbc hooked up (set at 18psi haha), loosened the lock ring on the mbc and simply pushed it into the hole in the panel, covered the hole with black tape, told the tech the hoses running into the firewall were for the aftermarket boost gauge he could see.
- left the maf sensor for the A-tune hooked up, left the A-tune operating - there are so many hoses hidden under manifolds etc that only "we" know where they are really supposed to go 26 years after the car was built
- installed a stock fuel pressure regulator
- told the tech that the car is a super rare "1989 951 Turbo S", that only 350 were made worldwide, it's highly likey that it's the only one he's ever going to see - which is why he couldn't find a damn thing about it in the beurau of automotive repairs books/website ----- 'cause there ain't no such animal! LOL
Old 05-02-2016, 03:21 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Think something similar may work if i brought my LS1 swapped car in? . Ill tell him its the rare V8 model, or maybe ill just tell him its a 928 lol.

I have to get my 911 done early next year, no reason it shouldn't pass but still not looking forward to the process.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:45 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Duck,
Might be worth the drive up to north LA...
The Armenian smog guys are pretty "easy going" around these parts
Old 05-15-2016, 11:44 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong. There is a hose in front of the relay box that goes into the fender that gets clamped, mine has been tested since 2010.

I have about 6mos to come up with my "fix".
Old 05-15-2016, 12:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Sorry Kevin but that means your smog guy has been doing the test wrong this whole time.

He's supposed to clamp the fresh air vent hose hanging off the canister which is not accessible behind the wheel liners.

This let's him pressure test the whole evap system from filler neck to canister... Where he had been clamping is the "feed" hose from the canister to the intake manifold where fumes travel. Clamping there just takes the canister out of the test... Which is wrong.

Point that out next time.

Quick Reply: Commiefornia's new smog laws SUCK!