installed M-tune..running pig rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:52 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by refresh951
I have sealed up a couple ISV's with JB Weld. Thread on this somewhere IIRC.
Hey Shaun, I don't want to get too OT on this thread/ Would you mind pm ing me and telling me where you JB welded and what the main areas of concern are on the ISV. I have a feeling I have this issue.
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Joshua, have you considered making a thread so that this fix gets proper attention. I'm sure there are folks that are having this problem, but are unaware of what's happening. Congrats on figuring it out and well done on taking care of it! Outstanding!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Joshua, have you considered making a thread so that this fix gets proper attention. I'm sure there are folks that are having this problem, but are unaware of what's happening. Congrats on figuring it out and well done on taking care of it! Outstanding!
+1
Old 07-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Yes, I have thought about making an explicit thread...
However, not all LR M-Tune owners are rennlisters. So, they wouldn't see the thread.

Regardless, I'm pushing out the update to all LR M-Tune owners, so everyone will be informed that way.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:41 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
However, not all LR M-Tune owners are rennlisters. So, they wouldn't see the thread.

Regardless, I'm pushing out the update to all LR M-Tune owners, so everyone will be informed that way.

FYI I emailed you the latest log you requested about 2 hours ago. Glad we're getting closer to dialed in.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Thales
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed M-tune..running pig rich

Joshua, logs sent. Sorry for the delay. Thank you for all of your help!!!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:58 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Josh, mine has been doing the exact same thing and it is NOT the LR version. When boost begins it drops down to 10.5-1 on my wideband. Out of boost its perfect at 14.7. I did notice the other night when it was really cool out (60 degrees) the air fuel ratio was a lot closer to what it shoulld be but wasnt perfect. It was then running 11.2-1 and i could feel a good power increase.
I do believe it also has something to do with the IAT sensor. Another indication is after it sits with the hood closed after being run up to temp it gets heat soak to the IAT and it barely wants to start. When it does start its almost 17-1 on my wideband like the IAT is cutting all fuel because its waaaay to hot.

I have 0 boost leaks, been tested 3 times now. I do have spot on fuel pressure. Been trying to track my problem and have waited for the tuner/logger combo for the older setup but this all makes sense for the problem i have been experiencing.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by e34nication
FYI I emailed you the latest log you requested about 2 hours ago. Glad we're getting closer to dialed in.
Originally Posted by Thales
Joshua, logs sent. Sorry for the delay. Thank you for all of your help!!!
Got them, thanks!

Originally Posted by running_cold924
Josh, mine has been doing the exact same thing and it is NOT the LR version. When boost begins it drops down to 10.5-1 on my wideband. Out of boost its perfect at 14.7. I did notice the other night when it was really cool out (60 degrees) the air fuel ratio was a lot closer to what it shoulld be but wasnt perfect. It was then running 11.2-1 and i could feel a good power increase.
It sounds like you are a bit rich overall... At idle, the closed-loop will work to bring it to 14.7, even if it started out rich.

What FQS position are you on?

Additionally, keep-in-mind that for hot days, the system does richen the AFR. This is by design for added safety against knock. This is also standard practice in OEM turbo-cars (and typical even in non-turbo cars).
Old 08-01-2015, 11:38 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Yep, goes perfectly to 14.7 @ idle. was at 0 on fqs and now at 3 with very little change. I understand its supposed to be slightly richer on hot days but a full point??

Like i said, still holding out for the update package so i can tune and log, thats really what I need to get this old gal to perform. Any update there?
Old 08-02-2015, 06:35 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Additionally, keep-in-mind that for hot days, the system does richen the AFR. This is by design for added safety against knock. This is also standard practice in OEM turbo-cars (and typical even in non-turbo cars).
Also another question: if this is built into the older systems them as stated above, why is it when my car is up to temp/hot and then its shut off for a period of 10-30 mins it doesn't like to start and the wideband in showing a very lean condition(16.5-17 to 1)? Still leaning towards heat soak to the IAT. After about 30 seconds the car is back to normal as the sensor gets a correct reading.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Yep, goes perfectly to 14.7 @ idle. was at 0 on fqs and now at 3 with very little change. I understand its supposed to be slightly richer on hot days but a full point??
11.2 - 10.5 = 0.7

Yes, I could see a 0.7 AFR swing from a cooler to really hot day. Running 12.0:1 on a cool day, and 11.3:1 on a really hot day, for example.

I am fairly conservative on the tune. I have to be, as many people track these cars in some very hot/hard conditions.

Like i said, still holding out for the update package so i can tune and log, thats really what I need to get this old gal to perform. Any update there?
Yes, I'll put back up the Tuner for order here shortly. It will use the new chipboard and software.

Also another question: if this is built into the older systems them as stated above, why is it when my car is up to temp/hot and then its shut off for a period of 10-30 mins it doesn't like to start and the wideband in showing a very lean condition(16.5-17 to 1)? Still leaning towards heat soak to the IAT. After about 30 seconds the car is back to normal as the sensor gets a correct reading.
The intake air temp compensation is dependent on both engine load and air temp. At idle, and lower airflows, pre-turbo AIT is less useful, as the air has time to heat up to whatever the rest of the intake-path material temperature is.

Conversely at higher airflows, the AIT is more important, as the air entering the cylinder has had less time to be heated from the intake-path material.

With the Tuner, there is a warm-start fuel adjustment you can tweak for your individual setup...

BTW, FQS #3 adds fuel - you want to be on FQS #2.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:03 PM
running_cold924
Racer

yeah sorry, meant #2. But as long as you say its whats its supposed to do i'll take it. when I do get the tuner, shoot for 11.8-12.2 under hard boost then?

And the warm start fuel adjustment will be very helpful too. Also thank you for helping me understand more about how you incorporate the IAT sensor in your programming, makes more sense now.

Not here to bitch man, just want to learn more of what I got. I love your products Josh, you are a true pioneer in these cars! THANK YOU for the help buddy.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Just received my updated chip!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:14 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carlsbergas
Just received my updated chip!