Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

installed M-tune..running pig rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Seattle944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed M-tune..running pig rich

So over the weekend I installed the m-tune. started right up..little high in revs about 1500 took a min to warm up. idle right now is about 1100. I found my TB to be pulling to one side and it has actually worn a small groove in the inside of the TB. This stops the flap from closing causing a small leak on the other side of the TB. This seems to be part of the idle issue, when I close it with my hand a little harder the idle drops to normal (about 950).

When I'm rolling on throttle (about 1/4) I get boost up to about 5psi i'm running around 9.8 AFR. Idle is normal maybe a little rich..right around 14.5.

I have checked the FQS, it's at 0
TB = small vac leak
Going to clean the ISV in the next couple of days.

Anything else I should look for besides vac leaks.

The car I believe is also turning the injectors back on when dropping RPMs. usually right around 1800. I read this a current issue but could find a fix for it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds like you have a big boost leak.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:46 PM
Seattle944
Instructor

That's what I thought but i'm still building building boost.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:10 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even with a moderate sized vacuum/boost leak, the turbo will still be able to make positive pressure (boost)...

Definitely sounds like a boost leak.

Test the system:

Old 05-26-2015, 04:40 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

probably not your issue, but do be sure to follow the clarks/lindsey procedure for neutralizing the isv and resetting your idle, even if you think it looks good. I think this is s.o.p. after m-tune install.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 185 Posts

I had a similar issue when I first got my setup, and it was because I had one of the very early lindsey built kits that had a bad chip burn. When I set mine to the first image on the chip (all switches down) It cleared up while I waited for replacement.
Very very rich. What program are you trying to run?

Things I checked while trouble shooting:
Resistance of TPS per clarks garage.
Resistance of ECU coolant sensor.
vac leaks (found some small ones).
Idle reset
Voltage test for map sensor.

Are you sure you fixed the wiring for the MAF correctly after removing the LR MAF and MAFterburner parts?

Good luck, my car is a beast with the M-tune and the Super 61. Should have done this a long time ago.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Seattle944
Instructor

I'm running the all down set up #1. I did reset the tps. I guess I will go through and test this out. But if your saying you switched to all 4 down to clear it up and that's what I'm running...I'm leaning towards a boost leak...right?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle944
I'm leaning towards a boost leak...right?
Correct. Which would also explain the higher idle, and rougher drop-throttle.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:12 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Measure actual vacuum in the intake-manifold with warmed up engine.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:24 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey warren I have the tools to test for leaks, give me a call and i will come by and help you out.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Lippy951
Advanced

I have been battling a similar issue for the last 8 months. The car runs rich under full boost at 16psi. The car boost but is real lazy and slow. Talk with Josh couple of times with no luck. The shop the car was at said they could not nail it down. They did all the tests like smoke test, pressurize the intake, check timing, etc. No luck. So I accepted it and took the car back. I replaced the suspension with KW V3 (they are awesome) and ask a fellow rennlister where to bring my car for an alignment. They recommend a place out in St. Petersburg's, FL. They have been specializing in Porsches since 1983. The owner took it for a ride and told me it has no power, at least not like it should. It was worse than a stock turbo setup. There was another 944 turbo in there getting a new turbo installed along with the M-tune. He told me that the other car ran really strong and can easily break tires loose in 3rd gear. After the owner personally looked over my car (timing, vacuum leaks, smoke test, etc). He could not figure it out, everything checks out. The owner told me once he got this other car fixed, he would compare the two since they have similar setup and mods. I got call today from the shop. The other 944 turbo is acting in the same manner my car is. It will boost but not like before, lazy and pig rich. Owner of the shop talk with Dave Lindsey and he referred him to Josh. Next step is to talk with Josh and see what is going on with both these cars to solve it. Hopefully they can figure this out.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:09 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which shop in St Pete???
Old 06-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Thales
Instructor

Lippy951, I'm having similar issues after installing my M-Tune and a LR Super 48 turbo last month - The car is running at 10.0:1 AFR (pig rich) as soon as boost begins to build and stays exactly pinned there until redline @ 14psi.

-Pressure test checks out
-FQS set to zero (fully counter clockwise)
-FPR set to 41 psi with the vac line disconnected, at idle. (It was 43, but I turned it down)
-I have TUNE 1, with the 4 toggles switched down, no jumper installed, which should be 80# injector/pump tune

I have talked to Dave Lindsey a few times and he has been helpful, however we are running out of ideas. I am going to check the MAF voltage this weekend in the outside chance it's a bad sensor.

Open to any ideas.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Lippy951
Advanced

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Which shop in St Pete???
European Performance. Mickey Sr. been there since 1983. Out of 3 shops in Tampa, he seems to have both the knowledge our car and well organized shop! He has been great to work with and he is really into solving this issue.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Lippy951
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thales
Lippy951, I'm having similar issues after installing my M-Tune and a LR Super 48 turbo last month - The car is running at 10.0:1 AFR (pig rich) as soon as boost begins to build and stays exactly pinned there until redline @ 14psi.

-Pressure test checks out
-FQS set to zero (fully counter clockwise)
-FPR set to 41 psi with the vac line disconnected, at idle. (It was 43, but I turned it down)
-I have TUNE 1, with the 4 toggles switched down, no jumper installed, which should be 80# injector/pump tune

I have talked to Dave Lindsey a few times and he has been helpful, however we are running out of ideas. I am going to check the MAF voltage this weekend in the outside chance it's a bad sensor.

Open to any ideas.
Sounds like my car! I don't have the toggle switches. Bought the M-tune about year ago. Installed it in November/December of last year. So I guess I have the older version before Lindsey Racing took it over. I sent Dave an email asking if my tune would be different from what they have now. He told me the tune is same just added some other stuff like the toggle switches.

Like you, I did everything I could think of. I lowered my FPR to 2.5 bar, still running rich. Timing belt was check by two different shops, spot on. Smoke test the intake and exhaust by two different shop, all good. I pressurized the intake myself the same way the video the Josh posted, all good. I checked the grounds except for the one on the bell housing. They look good but wasn't going to rip things out to clean them yet. I reset the idle. I did have bad ISV plug that I replaced, idle is fine. I sent Josh some of my recordings from the data logger and he saw nothing unusual. I though I may have had collapsed downpipe but now the other car is acting same way, I doubt it. One idea is to check you FPR. Pull a vacuum on it so see if it holds or smell the vacuum line for gas. This could cause a rich condition. I replaced the diaphragm on the FPR just in case.

I did try to put the FQS to 2 to pull some fuel out. The car didn't run good and I got a crazy boost spikes. So much so that it blew the vacuum line off the top of my wastegate. The other car had similar spikes when they did this. Has anybody had this experience as well?

Quick Reply: installed M-tune..running pig rich