Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice: 225/55-16 (Front) & 245/40-16 (Rear)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice: 225/55-16 (Front) & 245/40-16 (Rear)

My 1986 944 turbo is making a sound like a rear wheel bearing is going out and two shops diagnosed that as the problem. I had one of them replace the wheel bearing both shops diagnosed was bad and it did not solve the problem (The shop only charged me for parts) and now they thought a rear tire must be failing internally. The Bridgestone Pontenza RE 730s look very new but where purchased in 2001, so they could be starting to deteriate.

Longer story a bit shorter, I am in the market for new tires and having a heck of a time finding 245/45 VR-16s (rear) and 225/50 VR-16's (front). A local shop suggested I switch to 225/55-16 (Front) & 245/40-16 (Rear) or similar if I have space and they are acceptable as there are a lot more tires available in those sizes.

My question is whether or not these tires will fit OK and are there noticeable draw backs to them being slightly higher profile? I am running the original staggered phone dial wheels. Or more importantly is there a good size alternative for 16" staggered setup that people recommend that have more options available?

I know that I should move up to larger wheels and increase tire options, to be honest I have always loved the phone dial wheels and mine are like new still. The only other style wheel I really like on the 944 are the ones like the Wheel Dynamics RS-808. I really want to stay away from using spacers/adapters on my early offset car as it is very light and I want to keep the un-sprung weight as light as possible (of course looks have something to do with my choices), and I don't have $1,500.00 burning a hole in my pocket to buy higher quality wheels. In state there are some Cayman 18" wheels that look pretty nice for $600, but I would have to make sure they would fit and deal with spacers/adapters so I am looking at just getting new tires right now and making sure that is the problem with the car. Unless I come across a great deal on larger wheels that I like.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:38 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice: 225/55-16 (Front) & 245/40-16 (Rear)

Tire rack has Toyo Proxes T1R Summer in the OEM size you're looking for - just bought them for my 16" club sports. Last month's issue of panorama had a classified with a guy selling his new for 200. I paid 440 so a good deal if it is still there.

Your tires are dangerously old - please get something soon for your own sake.

225/50ZR-16 TOYO PROXES T1R

245/45ZR-16 TOYO PROXES T1R
Old 09-15-2015, 11:16 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seattle's local Firestone (Northgate) has a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s in the sizes you need. Unobtanium right now. I searched high and low for them for an '88 Turbo S, ordered them, then had to cancel the buy. Enjoy!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:25 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Tire rack has Toyo Proxes T1R Summer in the OEM size you're looking for - just bought them for my 16" club sports. Last month's issue of panorama had a classified with a guy selling his new for 200. I paid 440 so a good deal if it is still there.

Your tires are dangerously old - please get something soon for your own sake.

225/50ZR-16 TOYO PROXES T1R

245/45ZR-16 TOYO PROXES T1R
RaleighBan,
Thanks for the information, I was trying to go wider than stock and I read some bad reviews on those Proxes, they could be great tires, all I can do is try and research them and Car and Driver beat them up in review, etc.. But they are a back up plan, thanks!

Originally Posted by ried
Seattle's local Firestone (Northgate) has a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s in the sizes you need. Unobtanium right now. I searched high and low for them for an '88 Turbo S, ordered them, then had to cancel the buy. Enjoy!
Ried,
Thank you, I actually have looked high and low for the Pontenza RE 11 and can't find them anywhere. I will go after them!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:20 AM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You might be able to get Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31s in 225/50R16 and 245/50R16 sizes.
I'll try to get them for next spring.

Otherwise there should be the Bridgestone, Michelin Sportcontact N2, Nankang Sportnex AS-2 and the Toyo T1R in 245/45.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:43 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Thanks for the suggestions. Seattle Firestone was a bust, guy told me first off that tire is discontinued and that they didn't have any tires in those sizes. I think I will get something not too terribly expensive in stock sizes and make sure it is the tires and enjoy the car for a while and keep my eye out for wider tires or larger rims.

Thanks for the great input!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:14 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad - those would have been nice. I have no idea if the toyo are good, but I wanted something on those wheels so i could enjoy them on occasion. I use some 996 twist (17") that are straight but ugly for the track - have new dunlop direzza star spec z2 for those - that's a great summer tire. Have some boxster 5 spoke with old dunlop direzza and going to put some Michelin pilot sport or something on later.

Keep your eyes out and you can get plenty of 17's, some with good tires, for great prices. You can build up and have a different set for every day of the week get new rubber on those nice phone dials you have for wash and shine type events when you want the stock look. I bet a crisp 20 they will be better than your 2001 tires
Old 09-16-2015, 07:26 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

...and change the other bearing!!! I picked the wrong bearing, it still could be a failing bearing.
You should replace the bearings in pairs.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-17-2015, 04:29 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Too bad - those would have been nice. I have no idea if the toyo are good, but I wanted something on those wheels so i could enjoy them on occasion. I use some 996 twist (17") that are straight but ugly for the track - have new dunlop direzza star spec z2 for those - that's a great summer tire. Have some boxster 5 spoke with old dunlop direzza and going to put some Michelin pilot sport or something on later.

Keep your eyes out and you can get plenty of 17's, some with good tires, for great prices. You can build up and have a different set for every day of the week get new rubber on those nice phone dials you have for wash and shine type events when you want the stock look. I bet a crisp 20 they will be better than your 2001 tires
Keeping my eyes out for larger wheels that will fit early offset without using spacers/adapters, will just bide my time. I figured eventually I will have two or three sets.

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
...and change the other bearing!!! I picked the wrong bearing, it still could be a failing bearing.
You should replace the bearings in pairs.

Cheers,
Mike
Well my car only has 48,000 original miles so I couldn't figure out why a wheel bearing would be out already, tires are cheaper than wheel bearing and they were purchased in 2001 so I will replace those now and see. Thanks for the input, I did take it to two different European sports car shops and both said it was the rear passenger like I thought, we were all wrong! I just hope it isn't the LSD transaxle.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'm running 255 35 18 and 285 35 18.

lovin' it.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:54 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheAllusionist
Keeping my eyes out for larger wheels that will fit early offset without using spacers/adapters, will just bide my time. I figured eventually I will have two or three sets.

Well my car only has 48,000 original miles so I couldn't figure out why a wheel bearing would be out already, tires are cheaper than wheel bearing and they were purchased in 2001 so I will replace those now and see. Thanks for the input, I did take it to two different European sports car shops and both said it was the rear passenger like I thought, we were all wrong! I just hope it isn't the LSD transaxle.
Yep good call. My money is still on the bearing, bearings don't like sitting around for long periods - that's when you get corrosion staining and/or false brinelling, both of which turn into fatigue spalling = failed bearing.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-18-2015, 04:28 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Mike,
I understand it could be the bearings, but I am going to try tires now. Good news is that a Firestone store manager in Vancouver found me 245/45 VR-16s (rear) and 225/50 VR-16's (front) Bridgestone Pontenza RE11 and at what seems like a reasonable price. My luck it will still be making the sound once installed and I will be back to chasing down the problem!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought some BFG Sport Comps in 225/50/16 for front and 245/50/16 rear. I was hoping to get Hankook Ventus RS3s in that size but not available. The 50 aspect ratio opens more options.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:32 AM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Re Tyres. I friend of mine is running the Toyo TR1's on an '88 Silver Rose with 9"/&" staggered set up. 245/45 and 225/50 which is the OEM spec for that car. They are great road tyres but a bit soft in the sidewall for serious trackday duty ... spririted road driving absolutely fine. Teh RE11's are definitely a step up and in my opinion the ultimate road/track choice. Better than R888's which I'm running now.

They are available in 245/45 ex stock form Tire Rack and 225/50 wil be available in Oct from TireRack.

I personally would only putt he 225 on the 9" rims. I'm assuming that your car has the 8"/7" staggered set up which is well matched to the OEM spec 225/50 and 205/55. Both those sizes are freely available from a raft of manufacturers. The latest Dunlop Direzza are getting very good street/trackday reviews and are available in the 225/205 combo.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:21 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Thanks for the information everyone, I was very close to buying the stock sizes, hesitated because some of the tire reviews for ones I was looking at mentioned soft side walls and then an email came in from a Firestone store in Vancouver, WA with the manager stating he liked challenges and he thought he could find the Pontenza RE11s in the sizes I was looking for and he did, they are ordered and when they arrive at the Firestone in my town I will have them installed.

I do not know much about tire sizes and what should go on what rims, but the 245 and 225 set up really looks nice on my car now and is easy enough to keep from spinning when launching if I don't want them to. When I upgrade to 17 or 18 rims I will look into wider rear rims (rear anyway) or a square set up, I keep hearing varying opinions on square vs staggered (I get that staggered helps with a slight understeer) and make decisions there or have two sets one staggered and one not and see what I think with my final set up.

Quick Reply: Advice: 225/55-16 (Front) & 245/40-16 (Rear)