Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Drilled a hole in my gas tank!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Drilled a hole in my gas tank!

Yes, I'm not joking. I was installing a 12V-5V USB converter to allow me to charge my GoPro camera during my track sessions, and chose an unfortunate spot. In my defense, it was on the opposite side of the car from where the gas tank is located, so it didn't even enter my mind that the tank could be behind the panel I was drilling into. The pictures below show the spot I drilled the hole:

Attachment 976492

Attachment 976493

I stuck a tooth pick into the hole to allow readers of this thread to see the location of the hole better. It's a very small hole, so it should be easy to patch, but it's in a hard-to-reach location, at the very top left of the tank, and I don't have access to it without moving the tank to some degree. So, it seems that I have two options: I could either loosen the tank's mounting straps, hopefully allowing me to move it enough to get access to the hole, or cut a larger hole in the panel where I drilled the hole (stuffing a protective plate between the body and the tank first!) to allow access to the tank from inside the car. It's a track car, so I don't care too much about the aesthetics, but still, this second option is a little ugly.

So, my question is, has anyone here ever removed their gas tank? I don't want to remove it completely, because I understand that involved dropping the transaxle. But I'd like to understand how it's attached - All I see holding it in place is a strap along the very bottom of the tank on the right side. Thanks.

Last edited by Cloud9...68; 09-04-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:05 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 332 Posts

Pretty sure the tank is plastic. How are you planning on plugging that hole?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

And then there's things I would just keep to myself...
Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docwyte
Pretty sure the tank is plastic. How are you planning on plugging that hole?
There are several sealants on the market that are impervious to gasoline, so I'm sure one of them would do just fine at plugging a tiny hole. The trick is going to be getting to it...
Old 09-26-2015, 10:20 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a syringe full of whatever sealer through the hole you drilled ??then test it with air pressure ??
Old 09-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Dril a large 2cm diameter hole, use either epoxy or soldering iron & plastic filler rod to weld the tank, use chasis cable grommet to seal the new hole.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:44 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just sit down and think for awhile, next to your car.
Mull over the defect; light up a cigarette to pass the time.
And then say 'hi' to Jesus, when the two of you meet...

Sorry. Just had to.
Saw a guy in my youth, cutting a gas tank out of a junk car, with a lit cigarette in his mouth.
It was not empty. He lived.

Sounds like you're unfortunately better off with a new replacement tank. Hard to imagine that the tank will do well, whether plastic or metal, with patching. It's not the sort of leak that you want to reappear, on the road with a hot undercarriage.
We've all had a few face-palm events in our lives. Mine was my first marriage. This was yours.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:45 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Voith,

While it sounds like your idea might work, I'm a little queasy about intentionally drilling that large of a hole in my tank for the purpose of reparing what is currently a tiny hole.

jc in rb,

That's an intereting idea. But also, I've realized that I can peel back the insulating material on the horizontal surface near where I drilled the hole, and could safely cut a hole there to give me access to the hole in the tank, and then put the insulation back, so the hole wouldn't be visible. A few options here; just have to figure out which is the best one.

Does anybody know how the tank is secured? It isn't clear from the PET.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:53 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Just sit down and think for awhile, next to your car.
Mull over the defect; light up a cigarette to pass the time.
And then say 'hi' to Jesus, when the two of you meet...

Sorry. Just had to.
Saw a guy in my youth, cutting a gas tank out of a junk car, with a lit cigarette in his mouth.
It was not empty. He lived.

Sounds like you're unfortunately better off with a new replacement tank. Hard to imagine that the tank will do well, whether plastic or metal, with patching. It's not the sort of leak that you want to reappear, on the road with a hot undercarriage.
We've all had a few face-palm events in our lives. Mine was my first marriage. This was yours.
Yeah, a new tank is definitely an option, but I understand pulling the tank requires dropping the transaxle, so this is going to have to be a last resort. I would be more concerned if the hole were in the side of the tank, where fuel could spill out, but this one is in the very top, where I just don't see a whole lot of risk. Plus it's a really, really tiny hole, which should be very easy to plug with just a dab of some fuel-resistant sealant. I can't even smell fumes when the car is at rest, or even when driving it on the road; only when the fuel sloshes around during hard cornering. If I can get access to the hole, I think plugging it will be OK. And no, I don't smoke...
Old 09-27-2015, 12:06 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Pulling and installing a transaxle is not hard. I've done it solo a few times on jack stands. No big deal. With a friend it's 2 hours to remove and install. Don't let that worry you at all.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:11 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I grew up next to my stepfather's junkyard. The rule then was nevernevernevverNEVER cut on a tank that had, or might have had, petroleum products in it without filling it partially or entirely with water while cutting. A plastic tank is a bit different from raggedy old metal tanks; this was a long time ago.

But, still: cutting holes in a fuel tank requires skill, patience, luck or bravery. Pick two.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:04 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Drill big hole in chasis, not tank.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:14 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys, it is a FUEL tank and the muffler it just under it!
Do not try to repair it or patch it, replace it.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuel will leak every time you hit the brakes. When I bought my car the original owner had drilled four holes into the tank in a similar location mounting and wiring his sub woofers. Be glad the tank is plastic and you avoided a spark. I pulled the tank out and fixed it with plastic weld epoxy. It worked fine for the next year until I put a cell in the car.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

I took a closer look at my little situation, and actually, I think the solution will be very easy, cheap, and safe - no cutting, drilling, or transaxle removal required. When I stepped onto the cargo floor, I noticed I could hear vapor hissing, and it was coming from the hole I had drilled. This told me the tank is mounted very snugly against the cargo floor. So I took a closer look at the hole (it's actually a second hole, a little over two inches to the right of the one I showed in the pictures with the toothpick sticking out), and saw that the tank is pressed almost against the sheet metal where I drilled this hole (no wonder in went through the tank, even with the very short bit I was using) - there's maybe a gap of a mm between the metal and the tank. Buit I can very clearly see the holes - the one in the sheet metal, and the one immediately behind it in the tank. I had also done some more searching online, and found that there are plenty of people as dim-witted as I am, who have done exactly the same thing (to cars, motorcycles, snowmodibles, etc.). In every case I read about, the leak was permanently fixed with the application of various brands of gasoline-resistant plastic epoxies or putties. In my case, I should be able to apply the epoxy to the hole, with the small gap between the tank and the sheet metal providing additional "anchoring" for the epoxy.

The other alternative I thought of would be to cut a section of an o-ring made of a gasoline-resistant material that's slightly larger than the diameter of the hole, and stuff it in the hole. Whaterver method I use, I can test the integrity of the fix by periodically stepping into the cargo area, and making sure I don't hear any hissing when I put my weight onto the area where the tank is pressed immediately below.

Quick Reply: Drilled a hole in my gas tank!