Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Speakers for 10 speaker door pods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 05:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 332 Posts
Default Speakers for 10 speaker door pods?

So what are people using now to replace the speakers in the ten speaker front door pods?

I want something that's a drop in installation as much as possible....
Old 10-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not really so much drop in.

your fronts are 3-way splits. rears are 2way. You probably can get a set of 2 ways for the front and replace the woofer and tweeter. and block off the old midrange hole that would be left.

I personally would find some 2 ways. possibly 3 ways (depends on size ect) and i'd want them amped also.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Wojo7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The originals are still available, I replaced mine with OEM, wasn't that expensive and I don't think you will be able to find a direct replacement that sounds much better. I turned my attention to the rear speakers, there's room for really nice 6 1/2" round component sets, and if you open up the trim panel behind the grill it really sounds great and you can drive the rears with a lot more power. Also use foam tape behind the front door pods when you reinstall them, they have a habit of buzzing no matter how tight they are.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wojo7
The originals are still available, I replaced mine with OEM, wasn't that expensive and I don't think you will be able to find a direct replacement that sounds much better. I turned my attention to the rear speakers, there's room for really nice 6 1/2" round component sets, and if you open up the trim panel behind the grill it really sounds great and you can drive the rears with a lot more power. Also use foam tape behind the front door pods when you reinstall them, they have a habit of buzzing no matter how tight they are.
You'd actually want better fronts. that's where you hear most of the sound.
the rears you can just get away with bass drivers.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Arominus
Race Car

5 1/4 component set with a 1" tweeter is about as close as you can get, shallow mount would help. That said be very careful about the grille that covers the speakers, it will cut the surround on a speaker that has any xmax. Bend it back to avoid this.

The 10 speaker setup is actually fairly hard to upgrade because of the sizes, the 5 1/4 requires modifying the plastic holder. I've got a set of 10 speaker panels i haven't used yet because of this. I've been thinking i would just need to make a custom box that hangs under the arm rest to make it all work with aftermarket speakers if i switch over.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

heres some ideas

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...pic-heavy.html
Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I believe that those installed in my car are MB Quartz 2 ways. Fit well but had to 'rig up' a mount for the splitter.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:53 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a 2 way component set and a boston aquostics 2.5 2 way speaker.
I had to modify the aluminum ring around the tweeter to fit in the factory tweeter area. It was round and is now roughly eye shaped. Lots of fun with a hack saw and a file.
I had to modify the little 2X2 midrange opening to fit the 2.5 midrange/2 way and I had to modify the speaker grill to avoid slicing into the woofer surround. If you look at the bottom edge of the middle grill in the last picture, you can see where I removed a bunch of the metal between the two screw mounting tabs. More fun with a file.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Speakers for 10 speaker door pods?