Resurfaced my own flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 02:27 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resurfaced my own flywheel

For my B7 A4.....

You can see the progress. Very easy to do and cheap. You can use the same the tool for the rotors as well. The one pictured is the one i bought. The come in 3 different styles; fine, medium, and course. The one I bought is medium.
Attached Images      
Old 11-22-2015, 04:19 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm... You think you took off the hot spots and have it completely flat like a flywheel surface machine does? Or just buffed it and it still has the hot spots and not perfectly flat? Just wondering because it takes some time to do a clutch job on these cars and if it started to chatter because it wasn't totally flat right away then one might just be kicking themselves in the butt for not spending that extra $20-40 at the machine shop and not have to worry. Also these 951's are not stepped flywheels, they have to be within specs or you creat more gap which in turn create less clamping force on the disc. Just food for thought. But it does look nice and shinny on the clamping face of your flywheel. Also what kind of car is that flywheel off of because it sure doesn't look like the stepped 944 or the flat surface 951 flywheel. And it's missing a lot of bolt holes. If it's a Honda then sure go for it. But these cars take way too long for a clutch job to skip that detail of machining the flywheel.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

You saved what, 40 bucks?
Old 11-22-2015, 10:10 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You saved what, 40 bucks? minus 30.00 for the tool?????
Old 11-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly would have rather taken it to a machine shop and all they would have done is put it on a lathe and machined the face off nice and flat. They would only charge like $50 or something like that for it.

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Hmmm... You think you took off the hot spots and have it completely flat like a flywheel surface machine does? Or just buffed it and it still has the hot spots and not perfectly flat? Just wondering because it takes some time to do a clutch job on these cars and if it started to chatter because it wasn't totally flat right away then one might just be kicking themselves in the butt for not spending that extra $20-40 at the machine shop and not have to worry. Also these 951's are not stepped flywheels, they have to be within specs or you creat more gap which in turn create less clamping force on the disc. Just food for thought. But it does look nice and shinny on the clamping face of your flywheel. Also what kind of car is that flywheel off of because it sure doesn't look like the stepped 944 or the flat surface 951 flywheel. And it's missing a lot of bolt holes. If it's a Honda then sure go for it. But these cars take way too long for a clutch job to skip that detail of machining the flywheel.
It's off a B7 A4 Audi
Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
ummmm if the fly wheel wasn't perfectly flat, why wouldn't i just change it? LOL.... This flywheel wasn't causing any issues what so ever, i just wanted to clean up the surface before putting the clutch and PP on. Why would I take all the surface away from the flywheel??? How long does it take to change a clutch on a 951? LOL
Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jc in rb
You saved what, 40 bucks? minus 30.00 for the tool?????
you can use it on rotors as well.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:01 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. As long as you check to make sure the flywheel isn't warped and its perfectly level, this is an easy way to get all the glaze off of the clutch surface.

Other than that, you can put a flywheel on a brake lathe and machine it down a hair as well.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:12 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

B7 is a dual mass flywheel right? So most shops wouldn't resurface it anyways. Good tool to remove glaze.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:27 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

The guy wants to show us what he can do with a drill and polishing pad I don't think he meant to resurface it. I think it's a good way to prep it for a new pressure plate as long as the surface wasn't compromised in its ability to make perfect contact in any way. Should grip better as well.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:07 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
B7 is a dual mass flywheel right? So most shops wouldn't resurface it anyways. Good tool to remove glaze.
correcto. A stock one is like $ 500.00 more than a high performance aftermarket one
Old 11-24-2015, 12:52 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

actually a better way to clean up the surface is this kit (pict #1-2) you can buy the tool & sandpaper with adhesive for under $ 15.00 bucks but as others have mentioned is NOT resurfacing, resurfacing requires a machine shop with proper equipment, if you pay attention to the following video you will see that even if the FW appears to be flat to the eye, the surface could be far from flat. So if you are sure that your Flywheel is flat, yes you can prep the surface with a drill and pads. The video is good to inform those unfamiliar with the term "resurfacing or regrind" and what is involved in this process and I tell you is not a drill, lol.

Attached Images   
Old 11-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Some dual mass flywheel can be seperated and turned such as the ford 7.3 and 6.0 diesel DMF, just use new bolts when put back together. Porsche doesn't recommend resurfacing the DMF they make thou. In most cases aftermarket flywheels are avalible for cars with DMF originally but are not DMF and use a different clutch kit with them but can be machined or if it's aluminum then just replace the matting surface. The down side is more vibration will be felt without the DMF.
The following users liked this post:
moalaska (05-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Resurfaced my own flywheel