Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LR M-Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:41 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LR M-Tune

I was looking for some other LR m-tune users to help share their experiences with the Lindsey Racing version of m-tune. How the product has worked for you? If you had/ have any issues or concerned? If so...How they were corrected. I was also hoping some people could post some cold start videos with some light revs to see how proper start ups are suppose to be with the these kits, focusing on air/fuel ratios and idle behaviors ( including idle drop when reved). Thank you to anyone who takes a few minutes to post a short video
Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 AM
v8killer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here has been my experience.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...on-m-tune.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...p-and-e85.html
Old 12-08-2015, 01:17 PM
94427L
Intermediate

Hi all, as you can see in the forum I took time.
do not participate because they do not write groin, this is the translator.
I buy the m-tune lindsey, about three months. still it does not work properly. I never worked well. problems sometimes cold start 1100 revolutions sometimes 600 or 700 of the little I worked very rich 10.0 mi AFR meter does not measure less than 10.0. Yet another problem in 8psi, cut fuel. I am very angry. talk to lindsey (dave) no solution, I stopped answering emails. poor after-sales service lindsey. as you can imagine all this revised engine. a lot of money, by maf m-tune that is not working. I guess it's bad chip, and lindsey does not solve, no answer, really bad. this maybe because I'm in Spain. I do not want to spoil sales of m-tune. but buy one that is rubbish.

Last edited by 94427L; 12-08-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:15 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Id really like to see some cold start videos with this kit to have a reference point to what to expect. Startup, some light revs watching rpm and afr behaviors if you have a afr gauge. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:57 PM
David Ewell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchased my M-Tune from LR earlier this year, but they where out of stock for my particular setup. Waited patiently for several weeks before it came. Install went well and fired up on the first attempt. The only problem I had was under full boost and close to 6k rpm the car would shut down hard. Whether it was the fuel or spark being cut the car went into serious convulsions. Had to pull over as the engine died and restart the car. Took a bit to get its head clear then all was good until the next time. Called LR, but it was just too new for them to give me any advise so I tried Josh at Rogue Tune and bent over backwards to help me find the problem. What it boiled down to was some vacuum leaks, a defective ICV and BOV. One thing I've discovered working on my 86' is every time I up the performance mods someone older part on the car can or shows its ugly worn out face and make the car fail. After replacing the defective parts the car has never ran better. I'm very pleased with it and have no qualms about it. On cold starts the idle can act strange at times and I remedy the problem by running the rpm's up for a bit and that takes care of it. Mahoney944 have you tried calling Josh at Rogue Tune?
Old 12-08-2015, 05:37 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David Ewell
Purchased my M-Tune from LR earlier this year, but they where out of stock for my particular setup. Waited patiently for several weeks before it came. Install went well and fired up on the first attempt. The only problem I had was under full boost and close to 6k rpm the car would shut down hard. Whether it was the fuel or spark being cut the car went into serious convulsions. Had to pull over as the engine died and restart the car. Took a bit to get its head clear then all was good until the next time. Called LR, but it was just too new for them to give me any advise so I tried Josh at Rogue Tune and bent over backwards to help me find the problem. What it boiled down to was some vacuum leaks, a defective ICV and BOV. One thing I've discovered working on my 86' is every time I up the performance mods someone older part on the car can or shows its ugly worn out face and make the car fail. After replacing the defective parts the car has never ran better. I'm very pleased with it and have no qualms about it. On cold starts the idle can act strange at times and I remedy the problem by running the rpm's up for a bit and that takes care of it. Mahoney944 have you tried calling Josh at Rogue Tune?
Yeah I've been back and forth with Dave and Josh. And they have been very helpful in trying to figure out my issue. Prior to install my car ran perfect. I bought a rogue ECU and a LR mtune maf kit to try to take my highly modded car to the next level but it has been a rocky road. I installed the new ECU with the new m-tune chip board, installed the maf piping and reset my idle which probably didn't need it since I check it regularly. And I started having issues right away. Throwing so much "new" at it has made it hard to figure out what part is the issue but so far the map sensor has been replaced and wire volts verified, the maf sensor was replaced, the new ecu dip switches were verified to be in the right positions, I had a replacement chip board sent to me ....all of which did no changes. I put my stock stuff back on and the car runs perfect again. I suspect the new ECU might be the issue so Josh is currently retesting the ecu with my mtune chip board. If he comes up with nothing then I really have no clue what it could be. The car runs perfect on the stock afm and terrible on the new LR m tune kit. I'm not discrediting any of these products I'm just trying to figuring out some solutions. Current issues are on cold starts my idle gets stuck around 3000 rpm if I rev the engine and it slowly... I mean slooowly crawls back to 1200 rpm after about 30 secoconds. If I rev it again the sticky idle repeats. Next when driving at normal road speeds and I go to stop. I get a bouncy rpm hickup right before idle. The car feels like its surging. Also anytime the car is boosting hard or nearing 4500 rpm. I get a hard bucking and sound as if I'm hitting the rev limiter, finally the car is running extremely rich even at minus 11% fuel on the fqs....like I said I put my old afm back on and the car runs great, dare I say perfect. No vac/ exhaust leaks. I'm sure this will get figured out eventually.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Wojo7
Instructor

I installed my M Tune about 6 months ago, The install went great but I've been struggling with idle issues since the beginning. My car ran great and idled smooth as glass before M Tune now I'd say it runs slightly better off idle but the idle is terrible. I've just about given up on troubleshooting this issue, every device under the hood is new oem, and I don't have any vacum leaks. I've also tried reinstalling my stock equipment and the car runs perfect. It may just be a case of the M Tune being very sensitive, perhaps too sensitive for a 25+ year old car.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:12 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wojo7
I installed my M Tune about 6 months ago, The install went great but I've been struggling with idle issues since the beginning. My car ran great and idled smooth as glass before M Tune now I'd say it runs slightly better off idle but the idle is terrible. I've just about given up on troubleshooting this issue, every device under the hood is new oem, and I don't have any vacum leaks. I've also tried reinstalling my stock equipment and the car runs perfect. It may just be a case of the M Tune being very sensitive, perhaps too sensitive for a 25+ year old car.
Very interesting thank you
Old 12-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Poor idle is not normal. Something is wrong - just have to figure out what...

Additionally, still rich at -11% FQS is an indication of a problem. There is no legitimate reason for being that rich, and should throw up a red-flag.

I'll send out loggers to both of you, so we can get a real idea of what is wrong.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:00 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Now that's some good service

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant

Additionally, still rich at -11% FQS is an indication of a problem. There is no legitimate reason for being that rich, and should throw up a red-flag.

I'll send out loggers to both of you, so we can get a real idea of what is wrong.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:51 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant

Thank you, looking forward to it. Have you tested the ecu yet?
Old 12-09-2015, 02:06 PM
v8killer
Instructor

Customer service with Josh (Rogue Tuning) has always been professional and top notch.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Wojo7
Instructor

Joshua, thank you! Can't wait to get to the bottom of this
Old 12-12-2015, 12:04 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed M-Tune in my '86 951, cranked the key this AM....all I can say is AWESOME !!

I'm running tune #1, maps 5/6 for pump fuel/valet.

Idle is fairly solid, only needed a slight tweak, off throttle it drops to approx 1300rpm and then quickly floats down to about 1000 based on where I set it. Gonna dial it down further after a few more runs.

Idle Behavior on the road test was great, no crazy dips or surges through 45 minutes of driving all conditions.

I can take a vid after it cools down and restart.

Throttle response is very smooth and much improved vs the AFM. The whole rev range is improved and smoother, builds boost very smooth and predictable now. I have my LBE set at around 12-13psi so gonna dial that up to 15 now that I feel it's more under control.

AFRs were pretty normal, idled at about 14.5 once warmed up a bit. On mild throttle it moved into the 13's. Heavy throttle or WOT were consistently at 11.9. Overall I notice more consistency in AFRs the more miles it ran. I'm on FQS-0.

As a side note, I pulled switched power for the MAF from the diagnostic port, primary color was Red with blue trace. I did not have a black wire in there as others have used.

The only change I would make is smoothing out the transition to off/on throttle at lower RPMs, it could use some improvement. It's definitely not worse than stock AFM/code, but could perhaps be a bit better , if that's even possible? Not at all a big deal, just a suggestion for those running Tune#1 who are on K26/6 still and More of daily driving needs?
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (09-21-2023)
Old 12-14-2015, 05:55 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

When do you expect to ship the loggers out?...and my ECU if it's done being tested . Thank You.

Quick Reply: LR M-Tune