Yep, the 951 and Dreaded CA Smog..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:06 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yep, the 951 and Dreaded CA Smog..

I have about four months to come up with my new "fix", the car has been a garage queen since 2014.

I have a long history of playing this game with CA and some time when I have a noose handy, I might even add up the receipts. Some of the old timers here are familiar with my attempts. I'm not looking for the "sucks to be you/whoa is me" replies - I'm investigating viable options.

One of interest..
Simply fill out and sign DMV's "Statement of Facts" form (Section G), OR complete Reg 5103, explaining your vehicle is out of state and the registration tags will be mailed to wherever the car is currently located. You can obtain a Statement of Facts form (Reg 256) or Temporary Smog Exemption (Reg 5103) by downloading it from this page.
I'm currently looking for long lost family in AZ. PM's are fine.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Take all the aftermarket stuff off, make the engine look 100% original, make sure you don't have vacuum leaks, make sure your o2 sensor and cat are correct and functional.

I know you've got a history with smog but... If everything is working as intended, and appears stock, passing should be no problem whatsoever.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:14 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Done, done, done, done and done. Stock DME, new plugs, new air filt, tested stock FPR, AFM tested sat, new dithering O2, new CARB cat, visual no problem, hot run and running idle for the test, new silicone vac lines throughout, ***** delete with new Porsche rubber, new water temp sensors - tested sat, upstream cat joints tape sealed and band clamped... what am I missing...

Right now I can't even get the car out long enough to get some new Zeitronix maps.

Got a pair of late offset stock 16''s I can borrow? Best I can figure is the 285's on 18's are lugging the dyno, I've even over pressed them for the test.

I have family that are just outside of a basic test area - that sucks.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Did you fail? What numbers?
Old 05-15-2016, 05:43 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...3-and-6-a.html

Noting what Josh and Laust mentioned in that thread, I think I'd try FQS #1. Reviewing my notes, I don't think I've tried that. Maybe I'll add a new cap and rotor with a wet leakdown test.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:33 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car failed too this year and I have t had home to try to sort it out yet. This us my first failed test. I'm Already frustrated and I haven't even started work on it yet.

I have it registered as non use for now.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:34 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibkevin
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...3-and-6-a.html

Noting what Josh and Laust mentioned in that thread, I think I'd try FQS #1. Reviewing my notes, I don't think I've tried that. Maybe I'll add a new cap and rotor with a wet leakdown test.
that test result is 2 years old but if you are still running in that condition, a new cat should be all that is required. and you said up top you have a fresh one sooo

the other numbers say basically your tune is spot-on perfect.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, sorry you never got it to pass a couple years ago Kevin. You went quiet so figured all was good. You're close, so yeah thinking the new cat should do it for you (correctly sized tires may help too).
Did they lower the limits again since two years ago?
I was due last month, but been too busy with work/life to put the stock air box on or do something about the exhaust. I may go talk to the shop who's done the test since I've owned it and see if they're going to give me a hard time or not, but won't get to it for at least another few weeks. I'll post up when I get it in.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

how can i help?
Old 05-16-2016, 05:15 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

You went quiet so figured all was good.
I wish. I've mechanically been through this car more than many would attempt, she's in good shape. I looked at this stack of receipts spent on smog.. and I had to step back. Good to hear you are still around!

kev, thanks much. I have months to go and I know my Summer will get busy so I'm trying to get this sorted early. I'm looking for a simple fix and I'll ask your advice along the way.

I have family in NV and they are cool with that DMV form. I'll post how this plays out, prolly late Summer.. in the mean time I have a few things to check out.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:25 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
that test result is 2 years old but if you are still running in that condition, a new cat should be all that is required. and you said up top you have a fresh one sooo

the other numbers say basically your tune is spot-on perfect.
Yeah, I'm confused. Your old numbers look like the cat wasn't really working for you due to the high NOx, but there lots of things in play at once. Is that cat the 'new carb cat' you referred to above?

I think if your cat is good (read: new) you should pass even if the tune isn't perfect. You may not get through in 2 yrs and for sure not in 4.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:54 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

You may not get through in 2 yrs and for sure not in 4.
I play the good CAT/gutted CAT game. This 6yo CAT has about 2k miles on her, still breathes like a CAT should.

I'm thinking my FQS setting is off and to re-torque the upstream flanges.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:27 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibkevin
I play the good CAT/gutted CAT game. This 6yo CAT has about 2k miles on her, still breathes like a CAT should.

I'm thinking my FQS setting is off and to re-torque the upstream flanges.
The numbers for all the test results except NOx are perfect...your tune/FQS position is fine where it is.

If the cat is good then that should be all you need...ask the smog guy to put his big shop fan (which he should have) on full blast aiming straight into your radiator duct...

Maybe the water will be kept a little bit cooler during the dyno run, cooler water means cooler cyl. head, which means slightly lower NOx production, at the possible expense of slightly higher HC/CO (but you have a margin to plat with here).

Quick Reply: Yep, the 951 and Dreaded CA Smog..