Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New project car: engine fire '86 951

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 06:23 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default New project car: engine fire '86 951

I've been lurking on the turbo forum for a while now, in preparation of installing a turbo engine into my '83 NA. Plans changed when I found this car...

I picked it up in oklahoma for $2500. Overall it's pretty clean, I'm really satisfied with it and know what I'm getting into. Here are some of the highs and lows of the car, from what I've been able to gather so far:

- no stand-out factory options
- full 968 interior swap (!!) in 9/10 condition... Black/tan
- Cup I replicas (will be selling for twists or something)
- stock engine other than an aftermarket diverter valve and boost enhancer
- 153,xxx
- resprayed partially, so-so job.
- 26.8mm front sway, 16mm rear
- Koni yellows up front, kyb rears
- weird japenese gang decal on the hatch

Of course the elephant in the room is the engine bay fire. I was expecting it to be from the fuel lines but it actually started at the ignition coil and quickly caught the under-hood foam/glue on fire. Replace yours!!

Plans for the car mostly concern the engine, as I'm really happy with the interior and the exterior is fine for now.

I have an engine I've been building in my garage from an '82 NA short block. As stated before, my intent was to fit forged rods and pistons as well as all the other 951 accoutrements (headers, manifold, oil cooler, clutch assembly, etc) and stuff it in my NA. Well, now this new engine is headed into the 951. If I knew a cheap 951 would fall into my lap, I would have started with the 951 engine and rebuilt that instead, but at this point I'm happy with what I have. I'm also happy that my NA will still be intact as a reliable and simple DD. The existing 951 engine will be parted... Pistons/rods and rebuilt head go to the new motor, and the other short block parts will be for sale if in good shape.

In addition to the motor itself, I'm going to install the normal stuff like new fuel lines, vac hoses, couplers, etc. What you would expect following an engine fire. While the engine is out, the bay will be thoroughly cleaned and all damaged rubber/plastic replaced.

With the new engine in, I'm going to fit a Megasquirt (Microsquirt or an MSII, haven't decided) standalone with a new harness and all new sensors. I'm basically going to replicate the setup on my NA but accommodate the fact that it's a 951. Further details posted later.

Turbo will eventually be swapped to something larger, probably the hx35 I have on my shelf once I get a hotside that's reasonable.

I'll post more pics later - internet is down so I'm using my phone's hotspot.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:01 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

so why are you pulling this engine? Strictly for upgrading? I would replace the fire damaged bits and pieces and be done with it. It probably didn't hurt the motor.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:17 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

I have a ready to go engine, which I rebuilt with quality parts and is a known quantity. No guessing about maintenance, original seals, or PO mistakes. Mint bores, everything cleaned to a stupid level, inspected, and measured before going on. Like I said, if I had plans to get a 951 when I was building this engine, I would have withheld. Things just sort of unravelled this way. I'm just excited to have one

I've been pulling the easy stuff, and everything plastic or rubber is 100% toast as expected.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:49 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow man good find, keep the pics coming!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:32 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Here are the pictures that the PO sent me before I trekked up there:

http://imgur.com/a/eWhpj

Here are some more from the journey home:

Old 06-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Congrats, great find. The fire damage seems to be only surface deep. Glad you found it before Lart.

Beautiful interior btw.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:12 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Funny story... Lart DID find the car, and had made a higher off than me - full asking price (I think $3500 the first go-round). That was months ago. Last week the seller messaged me, told me Lart was taking too long and needed it sold, so I got my *** to Oklahoma and made it happen It doesn't deserve to be parted out whatsoever.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats. Looks like a great car to resurrect! Nice color and the interior looks great.

Unrelated - any more shots of your red 944? I'm digging the black stoneguards and have been considering them for some time.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:43 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Great find, why not attempt to start the 951 engine before yanking it and see what you have? I know you have a fresh engine, however you have a possibly great engine in the car now that may yield you more money if it is known running etc...
Old 06-13-2016, 04:05 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Cool...., nice to see one brought back against the ratio of cars parted.

Had an old buddy give me...., yup, free car, an 87 GR 944T, central locking, 9U LSD, turbo twists. A strip down restore project that was stand still for too long.

Still on my trailer.....he had parted away the doors and front fenders but I'm still contemplating on bringing her back.

Bought an 87T just like this 86 here, turned out to be the PS fluid caught fire on exhaust manifold. Brought that one back to mint condition.

87 fuel fire, flames got so far as to burn the inside top floor carpet.
Intake manifold was melted like solder.

Turned that one into a race car.

Good luck.

T
Old 06-13-2016, 09:53 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Just for kicks, and maybe incentive to save a car in the future, here's the badly burned '87 I mentioned -

Engine pulled, harness stripped, etc. -

Blasted, acid primed and repainted engine compartment in Alpine White -

T
Old 06-14-2016, 10:21 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Great find, why not attempt to start the 951 engine before yanking it and see what you have? I know you have a fresh engine, however you have a possibly great engine in the car now that may yield you more money if it is known running etc...
I'm going to crank it and test for oil pressure before I pull it, just to get a reference point. Unfortunately there's just too much melted/burned stuff to make starting it straightforward. Injectors, vac lines, a lot of harness runs, ignition system, etc. I would rather not invest $$ on repairing all that when I'm about to replace it all with custom stuff that the DME wouldn't be able to run.

Current plan is to pull everything down to the short block. If I don't have group 1 pistons, I'm going to simply rebuild the 951 motor and my '82 motor will either be for sale as a rebuilt short block, or something, idk. If the 951 engine has group 1 pistons I'm going to put the pistons and rods in the '82 engine. I can't really see any downsides to using it versus the 951 engine besides slightly thinner cylinder walls. It has a cross drilled crank and I've already drilled and tapped for a knock sensor. But who knows, plans change.

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
Congrats. Looks like a great car to resurrect! Nice color and the interior looks great.

Unrelated - any more shots of your red 944? I'm digging the black stoneguards and have been considering them for some time.
Thanks! Here are some pics of the NA, most are before the euro bumpers. It's been a great car and is a fun daily. I got the guards from a user on here named Aljolyn, I think $40. They've held up great. I had some from an ebay store and they promptly peeled off on their own.

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Had an old buddy give me...., yup, free car, an 87 GR 944T, central locking, 9U LSD, turbo twists. A strip down restore project that was stand still for too long.
Lucky! and those pics are too sweet.... you're tempting me to have my engine bay prepped like that...

Old 06-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome pics! Thanks for posting, Mike.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:47 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

No problem!

Last night I started making a list of the parts I want to rebuild or replace, in addition to the engine:
  • Polyurethane bushings all around where reasonable
  • VW Fox strut mounts
  • Steel control arm conversion, all new parts
  • Depower/rebuild steering rack
  • New steering rack boots, inner & outer tie rods, poly mount bushings
  • New fuel lines
  • New coolant reservoir and brake fluid reservoir/cap
  • SS braided brake lines
  • Rebuild shifter lever and linkage, install heim joint linkage arm
  • Sell the Cup 1 reps and get some Twist IIs
Old 06-14-2016, 12:23 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car, I was actually talking to the guy about buying it before Lart, but he was going to be away for about a month and i never heard back from him. Glad its getting saved! Good luck with the project, im doing similar on my current turbo refreshing the engine and installing EMS 4 with COP.

Mark

Quick Reply: New project car: engine fire '86 951