Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tranny Mount Noise Comparisons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I think your issue might have been mostly not having the rear trunk carpet and foam in place.

I've done a few of the "semi solid mount" installs and never noticed a change in before/after noise, but admittedly wasn't really looking for it (shift quality was my main concern).
Old 05-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I have a urethane filled stock mount in my track car with no interior. When I first installed it, the noise level increase was holy $*&# loud. lots of gear noises etc. I ended up swapping that trans out for a lower mile AOR gearbox and the noise level went waaaay down. I have no reason to believe the first gearbox is "bad", just probably some more age. I guess what I'm saying is; the urethane mount doesn't have to be obnoxious on it's own, but it will still magnify other sounds if everything isn't 100%
The rear seat area is a seriously good amplifier of noise with the carpet and seat removed, so even a stock car gets loud that way. So if your transmission is a bit louder than normal, it would be a lot louder than normal once amplified by the body. I'm also guessing you used 80A hardness urethane, which is noticeable harder than the 60A I used. With the seat-wells covered in dynamat and a rear seat delete shell on top of that, the 60A-filled mounts on my car transmit about the same amount of noise as stock, and a bit more vibration.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 185 Posts

I actually used window weld, because I had a tube laying around from another project.... I have NO idea what properties it has.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:54 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

I am going to try filling the stock mount with 60A and I will report back after it gets done.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:59 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Resurrecting this thread: I'm getting a droning sound from the rear end that is new. It could be the "harmonic" sound Tom refers to in post #9. In my case for sure it is wheel speed-based and not different gears or the clutch engaged or not. Could this be the transmission mount?

Old 11-24-2019, 10:11 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Or wheel bearing
Old 11-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Try putting some insulation/isolation between the crossbar and where it mounts to the body. I have the full rigid mount and that's how I got rid on trans noise in the cab but gotta replace it ever so often rubber wears out
Old 11-25-2019, 09:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by PEvans
Resurrecting this thread: I'm getting a droning sound from the rear end that is new. It could be the "harmonic" sound Tom refers to in post #9. In my case for sure it is wheel speed-based and not different gears or the clutch engaged or not. Could this be the transmission mount?
I doubt it is the noise I was hearing. In my case, it was just a normal sound the transmission makes inside, but amplified to the hilt with the semi-solid mount and zero sound insulation. Also, most of these transmissions make a rough droning sounds on very light cruise/decel or coasting in gear, which you can hear even with a factory mount and full interior. You may be hearing that, but Humbolt's thought makes more sense for a speed-based drone in the rear that started out of the blue with no other symptoms....
Old 11-27-2019, 11:45 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I doubt.....
Do you have pics of the reinforcement to the ends of the mount? Filling my factory mount is on the checklist for the mini-resto.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:54 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I doubt it is the noise I was hearing. In my case, it was just a normal sound the transmission makes inside, but amplified to the hilt with the semi-solid mount and zero sound insulation. Also, most of these transmissions make a rough droning sounds on very light cruise/decel or coasting in gear, which you can hear even with a factory mount and full interior. You may be hearing that, but Humbolt's thought makes more sense for a speed-based drone in the rear that started out of the blue with no other symptoms....
That's what I figured, too. But one of the rules is check with the Rennlist brain trust.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:54 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I swapped out the mount a couple times for comparison. The factory mount by itself transmits way less vibration and gear noise than the semi-solid mount. For my car -- civil street car -- the semi-solid mount was just to loud. I ended up strengthening the end pieces on the factory mount by welding in reinforcement pieces to box them in, and then filling with 60 urethane. Here's a video trying to show the difference between the 60 and 80 hardness Urethane from McMaster. Not sure how much it comes through in the video, but the 60 is much softer. In the car, a 60-filled mount is "nearly" like a stock mount, but transmits just a smidge more noise and vibration. If the stock mount transmits 1 and the semi-solid transmits 10, I'd say the 60 harness urethane is about a 2 or 3. Assuming my CV joints survive, I think 60 is a good compromise and plan to keep it.

Urethane comparison 60 v 80 - YouTube
Nice comparison and very surprised there is such extreme difference between 60 & 80! Makes me want 70 which of course is impossible to find!

Still, the 60 above seems way too soft to me, softer than the rubber usually used in any motor or trans mount. And the 80 seems like hard plastic. One thing to note is that there are different shore scales which don't align with each other but I assume these are both Shore A? However, I'm guessing sometimes people may confuse the two scales as sellers will list them right next to each other and a Shore 80D is much, much harder than Shore 80A, in a completely different ballpark actually. See the attached image.

But I'm wondering about any updates from Tom or others about which hardness they used and how they feel about it now and how it's held up...? Still not sure which one to go with, maybe the 65 I've seen somewhere. I'm not so worried about noise but the 80 in the video seems way too stiff to me. But I also don't want anything softer than stock and the 60 seems much softer.

Probably overthinking it all but any further info from those who have done this mod will be appreciated....

Old 01-09-2024, 08:46 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

But I'm wondering about any updates from Tom or others about which hardness they used and how they feel about it now and how it's held up...? Still not sure which one to go with, maybe the 65 I've seen somewhere. I'm not so worried about noise but the 80 in the video seems way too stiff to me. But I also don't want anything softer than stock and the 60 seems much softer.

FYI Tom is long gone from Rennlist
The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 08:29 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Only Rennlist though...
The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 09:44 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

One might 'poke' around on the Internet for other 'Car' forums...
Old 01-10-2024, 02:24 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr8er
But I'm FYI Tom is long gone from Rennlist
Where'd he go?
Still gets email probably.
Unless...?
Which I hope not....
I hope he's ok.

Originally Posted by blade7
Only Rennlist though...
Not sure what this means but useless in every way....

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
One might 'poke' around on the Internet for other 'Car' forums...
Lots of people have done this mod on this car with the exact products I have questions about and who are in this very thread (among others on Rennlist) so not sure why you would suggest I 'poke' around the internet unless poking is your thing.

Geez, when did the 951 forum become like the 986 forums?

Sorry but I don't understand the attitude when I ask a relevant question about an ongoing process that I'm trying to decide on and was hoping to get some useful information so I can get my car back up and running. Also, the fact that this thread is a few years old is helpful because these folks who have done this mod will have time and miles and can give me information that is very advantageous in which urethane to use. And there are many people in this thread who are still active. So what's the problem then? Would you rather I start a new thread?

Quick Reply: Tranny Mount Noise Comparisons?