Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tranny Mount Noise Comparisons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 02:55 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 207 Posts

I did 60 on mine (diy urethane mod) and no complaints. Power to road improvement/drivetrain slop was noticeably improved. I think solid mounts are overkill. The transaxle feels rock solid, does not sway (like the old worn out mount did). This is on a car that is 75% autocross/track.

In terms of increased NVH, I didn't notice much change from worn OEM mount to diy urethane. Not having the rear carpet and padding on the back deck does more to increase trans noise than anything else, Ive noticed, as I do not have rear carpet or padding in my car
Old 01-10-2024, 07:56 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf

Not sure what this means but useless in every way....
I have questions about and who are in this very thread (among others on Rennlist) so not sure why you would suggest I 'poke' around the internet unless poking is your thing.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:00 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
I did 60 on mine (diy urethane mod) and no complaints. Power to road improvement/drivetrain slop was noticeably improved. I think solid mounts are overkill. The transaxle feels rock solid, does not sway (like the old worn out mount did). This is on a car that is 75% autocross/track.

In terms of increased NVH, I didn't notice much change from worn OEM mount to diy urethane. Not having the rear carpet and padding on the back deck does more to increase trans noise than anything else, Ive noticed, as I do not have rear carpet or padding in my car
Thanks for the info. Good to know you're happy with it and the transaxle doesn't move at all. Did your 60 seem as soft as in the video above? In the video it looks to be a fairly soft rubber while the 80 seems like solid plastic. Of course, when poured into the old mounting hardware, I suppose it would be difficult to see just how soft it might be although I suspect there would be leftover.

Everyone who has done the 60 is happy with it while a few who have done the 80 have complained about it and either lived with it or redid it in 60 so I suppose 60 might be the better choice. I'm just worried about any transaxle movement at all because the reason I'm doing this is due to my CV joint pulling apart twice (once on the old axle and again within 5 miles of replacing with a new axle.) From what I've read, some have said that the transaxle will move with a new OEM mount but I'm not positive about this as was a small sample of folks IIRC or maybe they meant with the old, worn mount but I'm almost certain they said new.

But your statement that the 60 is firm enough to keep the trans from swaying or moving is great to know!

Old 01-10-2024, 10:04 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Where'd he go?
Still gets email probably.
Unless...?
Which I hope not....
I hope he's ok.

Lots of people have done this mod on this car with the exact products I have questions about and who are in this very thread (among others on Rennlist) so not sure why you would suggest I 'poke' around the internet unless poking is your thing.

Geez, when did the 951 forum become like the 986 forums?

Sorry but I don't understand the attitude when I ask a relevant question about an ongoing process that I'm trying to decide on and was hoping to get some useful information so I can get my car back up and running. Also, the fact that this thread is a few years old is helpful because these folks who have done this mod will have time and miles and can give me information that is very advantageous in which urethane to use. And there are many people in this thread who are still active. So what's the problem then? Would you rather I start a new thread?
I sense your impatience - I can relate.

You're obviously new to these parts and it appears that you "can't read between the lines" when given a couple of clues.

I've not got any direct experience with this modification - but I may implement it.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Nice comparison and very surprised there is such extreme difference between 60 & 80! Makes me want 70 which of course is impossible to find!

Still, the 60 above seems way too soft to me, softer than the rubber usually used in any motor or trans mount. And the 80 seems like hard plastic. One thing to note is that there are different shore scales which don't align with each other but I assume these are both Shore A? However, I'm guessing sometimes people may confuse the two scales as sellers will list them right next to each other and a Shore 80D is much, much harder than Shore 80A, in a completely different ballpark actually. See the attached image.

But I'm wondering about any updates from Tom or others about which hardness they used and how they feel about it now and how it's held up...? Still not sure which one to go with, maybe the 65 I've seen somewhere. I'm not so worried about noise but the 80 in the video seems way too stiff to me. But I also don't want anything softer than stock and the 60 seems much softer.

Probably overthinking it all but any further info from those who have done this mod will be appreciated....

I am the one who made the often-used write up on this forum for this urethane mount mod.

It’s an easy job, but messy. I did it for a few cars using 80A each time. I never noticed increased NVH but wasn’t really looking for it either. I do recall the marked improvement in transaxle “rock solidness” rather than worn stock mounts letting the trans sway wildly.

i don’t think there’s any harm using 60A here. It’s still better than a worn factory mount.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:49 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Where'd he go?
Still gets email probably.
Unless...?
Which I hope not....
I hope he's ok.

Lots of people have done this mod on this car with the exact products I have questions about and who are in this very thread (among others on Rennlist) so not sure why you would suggest I 'poke' around the internet unless poking is your thing.

Geez, when did the 951 forum become like the 986 forums?

Sorry but I don't understand the attitude when I ask a relevant question about an ongoing process that I'm trying to decide on and was hoping to get some useful information so I can get my car back up and running. Also, the fact that this thread is a few years old is helpful because these folks who have done this mod will have time and miles and can give me information that is very advantageous in which urethane to use. And there are many people in this thread who are still active. So what's the problem then? Would you rather I start a new thread?
Re-TM, just google C*rP*kes and you'll understand.

Re-useless responses. Yes, there's some members here as well as other places you may "poke" around which are worth ignoring. Those people are incapable of providing any value to the community other than maybe some occasional comic relief, so it's typically best to just ignore and move on!
Old 01-20-2024, 03:32 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
I sense your impatience - I can relate.

You're obviously new to these parts and it appears that you "can't read between the lines" when given a couple of clues.

I've not got any direct experience with this modification - but I may implement it.
Hey, so sorry, I took it the wrong way. I've never heard of car pokes. It's interesting. Where did it come from as I have heard no mention of it anywhere else. Any other newish Porsche forums out there?

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I am the one who made the often-used write up on this forum for this urethane mount mod.

It’s an easy job, but messy. I did it for a few cars using 80A each time. I never noticed increased NVH but wasn’t really looking for it either. I do recall the marked improvement in transaxle “rock solidness” rather than worn stock mounts letting the trans sway wildly.

i don’t think there’s any harm using 60A here. It’s still better than a worn factory mount.

Hmmmm, trying to decide which one to go with. The video seems to show a huge difference between the two hardnesses but if you think the 80A doesn't cause any unwanted NVH, I think stiffer is the way to go. I don't mind noise too much and I don't even drive this car that much anymore but was just afraid of trans droning.

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Re-TM, just google C*rP*kes and you'll understand.

Re-useless responses. Yes, there's some members here as well as other places you may "poke" around which are worth ignoring. Those people are incapable of providing any value to the community other than maybe some occasional comic relief, so it's typically best to just ignore and move on!
No worries, I jumped the gun and got defensive; all my fault and sorry for that. Just been on the Boxster forums too much lately! Ha ha, yeah, Boxsters.... Talk about a love/hate relationship, it's a great car but I think Porsche was just trying to see what they could get away with as any 944 person will not recognize the things the choices they made with the Boxster. But still, it's an incredible car to drive. And even the looks grow on you over time.

Ok, back to 944/951 life....

Thanks for help everyone and I guess I have until warm temps arrive to decide on a shore rating as this is what I'm dealing with presently:

Old 01-22-2024, 04:33 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Correction - I dug back into my receipts and I ran 80A urethane - ignore my post above about it being 60A (cant edit unfortunately). Been running this mod for the last 3 years and its been great

25 cubic inches from McMaster Carr (#8644K11)
https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/130/4202/8644K11

Last edited by walfreyydo; 01-22-2024 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:56 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Correction - I dug back into my receipts and I ran 80A urethane - ignore my post above about it being 60A (cant edit unfortunately). Been running this mod for the last 3 years and its been great

25 cubic inches from McMaster Carr (#8644K11)
https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/130/4202/8644K11
Thanks for the update, I’ll probably go with the 80 as it seems like most are happy with it as well as it’s easier to find and a tiny bit cheaper. Wish Amazon carried something but the brands are sketchy names and mostly meant for crafting other than some by Smooth-On but the price comes out about the same in the end. And the smooth on version has pretty fast set up time so i worry about having enough time to mix and pour it in before it starts to set. They do have a slow version but iirc it’s more expensive and takes a long time to fully cure.
Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:31 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Just order from McMaster - I posted the link for you above. They are very quick

Quick Reply: Tranny Mount Noise Comparisons?