Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

any Rod bearing failures WITH drilled crank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 11:31 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default any Rod bearing failures WITH drilled crank?

Ok any one have rod bearing fail when using drilled crank? Could be cross drilled or perp drilled or anything.

Just looking for some data
Old 10-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting question.
I haven't really understood what Huntley are doing with their perp drilled crank.
The holes in the rod journals are put opposite where the rod pressure apply to feed oil, where the play is biggest and so that oil enters before the pressure applies. Not just anywhere around the surface.
Since this is 90 degrees to the arm, centrifugal forces are not working either pro or against the oil. Actually the oil gets help from the center of the main journal to the center of the rod journal.
With cross drilling, do you mean of the main journals?

BEngt
Old 10-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, it's of the crank

Huntley claims that it allows the oil to still get to the bearings despite the centrifugal forces holding it back. so some oil is better than none eh?

I've done this on my 924. PERSONALLY I wouldn't go to Huntley. Lindsey does the same thing for cheaper, or you could take it to a crank shop, and have it done locally without having to pay shipping and Handeling. I think for the money put into it, it's a good failsafe.

I have also heard that another cause of spun bearings is the #2 cylinder intake was machined incorrectly, and runs a little lean. this lean-ness causes a more powerful explosion eventually (after a LONG time) pounding the bearing out of shape. Lindsey Also has a fix for this, a new intake manifold. Other companys have been known to take yours and fix it so all 4 cylinders run like they should.

Then there is the Accu-sump fix, I know nothing about that, and the oil pan baffles, which I too have installed. the baffles keep oil from sloshing away from the pickup during left turns, then you don't run dry for a moment, also eventually wearing down the bearings.

It's a failsafe. would you rather spend $500.00 now or $1,500.00 later?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Can we confirm that number 2 is running lean? It should just require a plug reading.

I have heard that the problem occurs on old engines. Perhaps a rod bearing change at 100 000 km is adviceable. It can probably be done with the engine in the car.

I believe that Porsche put the holes were they do most good. Other manufacturers put them in the same place. Cross drilling is normally done at the mains to allow oil being fed to the rods twice per revolution. Our crankshafts are already cross drilled at the mains.

Bengt
Old 11-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Tomas L
Pro

If cylinder #2 is running lean it means that it has better flow than the other cylinders. If thats correct I would say that it's the other runners that are machined incorrectly.
Does sombody have flow data for the intake?

Tomas
Old 11-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Personally, the whole "#2 cylinder being lean because of the intake manifold" explanation doesn't make much sense to me since the N/A's have the same problem.

Unless of course they both have the same intake manifold flow imbalance problems.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

that's just what the guys at 3R racing in denver tried to explain to me...but lindsey racing's site has some info on it... http://www.lindseyracing.com/944eng21.htm
Old 11-04-2003, 12:46 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porschephile 924

>>>I have also heard that another cause of spun bearings is the #2 cylinder intake was machined incorrectly, and runs a little lean. this lean-ness causes a more powerful explosion eventually (after a LONG time) pounding the bearing out of shape. Lindsey Also has a fix for this, a new intake manifold. Other companys have been known to take yours and fix it so all 4 cylinders run like they should. <<<

Huh? I reckon so if yall say so!

Wow...

Let me correct whom ever told you the above:

The rod bearings don't fail because of the intake manifold.

I'll leave it at that.

>>>I've done this on my 924. PERSONALLY I wouldn't go to Huntley. Lindsey does the same thing for cheaper (snip)<<<

Have you purchaed a modified crank from Huntley and Lindsey and layed them side-by-side and compared them?

If not then how do you know that they are the same sets of modifications?

Just curious...
Old 11-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

No, I only got the huntley crank, but Derrick at huntley was rude when I talked to him, and when I got my crankshaft back, the package was actually 2 boxes taped together to form one big one, and they even did a poor job at that so the crank was falling out of the package. no stickers saying "heavy" or "fragile" anywhere on the package. it was the presentation that huntley gave me as a customer spending so much money that I will never shop with them again. Not to mention, I called looking for my crankshaft, and they said it was still at the machine shop. they don't do the work themselves, and it's expensive. I just got of the Phone with Lindsey Racing. They do the same cross-drilling as Huntley. However, in the lightening/knife edgeing, there is a difference. I don't know what. Lindsey also doesn't do their own work, but their machine shop is down the street as opposed to a shop in a different city. not to mention, like I said, Lindsey is cheaper. that's always a bonus.

the whole running lean thing, was information I recieved from 3R racing in Denver Co. I talked with one of their techs, and that's the information he gave me. it sounded wierd, but he was very convincing. And I wasn't saying that as the gospel truth. I said "I have heard". I was giving my .02, so PLEASE don't bitch at me for pitching in help with what I've heard.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Prices:
Lindsey Cross-drill and plug only: $150.00
Huntley cross-drill and plug only: $400.00

HUGE difference. not to mention, shipping costs about $40.00 from Denver, Co to California where Huntley is.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Guys the number bearing issue is not related to intake manifold as NA cars as well as Turbo cars have this issue.

Interstingly 928s also have issues with the Number 2 and number 6 rod bearing.

The problems are result of issues in the bottom end not top end.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porschephile 924

How you received your crank from Huntley (ie packaging) has nothing to due with the quality of the product received unless it was damaged as a result of the transportation.

Both Huntley and Lindsey send their cranks out for machine work as neither of them are machine shops. I don't know about Lindsey, but the machine shop that does the cranks for Huntley is down the street from them (not that it's relevant that the machine shop is in close proximity to the speed shop that is selling it to you, because it isn't.)

And unless you have the cranks sitting side by side, with the plugs removed, you cannot tell if the same work has been done.

So for Lindsey to say that they do the exact same thing can only mean that they have obtained a crank from Huntley, and examined it, and have the same maching proceedures done to it.

Did you have a problem with the quality of the machine work that was done to your crank from Huntley?

And again... any rod bearing issues you have, most certainly have nothing to do with the intake manifold.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

It was the packaging, and the fact that they didn't appear to give a **** about my crankshaft, and Derek at Huntley Racing's Attitude when I talked to him on the phone about it that pissed me off.

I DID say that Lindsey also does not do their work. When I called Lindsey today, they said they shipped a crank to be done by Huntley's machinist, got it back, and it was the same thing that they did.

No problem with the machine work. I'm not saying I was unhappy with huntley's machinist.

and again, I DID NOT SAY THAT I WAS 100% POSITIVE THAT THE INTAKE HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT! I SAID IT WAS WHAT I'D HEARD!

Learn to read, and stop bitchin at me for giving my research and trying to help with an answer on the thread.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by TonyG
How you received your crank from Huntley (ie packaging) has nothing to due with the quality of the product received unless it was damaged as a result of the transportation.
Tell me Tony, if you sent your $300.00 crankshaft out to be machined, spent $400.00 on machining, and got it back in a package that was falling apart, with more than 1/2 the packagaging peanuts missing, and had no warning labels saying "heavy" or "fragile", would you be happy even if the crank was OK? I don't believe so. and isn't the shipping/recieving dept at Huntley responsible for packing my crank? YES! I know how parts shipping and recieving works bud. I've worked there. I was pissed and have a damn good right to be.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Guys...
Lets focus on the topic.

Failures of engines with drill cranks and the number 2 rod bearing failures in general. Right now I don't care about whose screwed who on the crank packaging. NOT IMPORTANT!

So again
Does any know of or had a #2 failure after their crank was drilled (drilled by anyone in anyway)?

Quick Reply: any Rod bearing failures WITH drilled crank?