Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windscreen replacement - no sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 05:42 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, point taken, all Porsche screens both front and rear are glued in. and anything different is a replacement.
My screen came out unbroken, and that's the experience of the guys doing the work, and their history with repairing Porsches is long, so what does this suggest? I don't have the answer to that I'm afraid.
Good news though is this should give the heads up to anyone having a screen replaced, that if it dosen't require breaking to remove, then it should be checked to see if any damage to the screen surround has already taken place.
Pity it has to be like this though,

Kevin
Old 11-27-2003, 12:07 AM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who manufactured the O.E.M. 964 front windshield ? I have some small rust bubbles in the lower right hand corner of my windshield (cowl), which I am having repaired in the Spring. My bodyman is going to have the windshield removed to properly fix the rust. I currently have a Sigla windshield on the car. Should I get a new rubber windshield seal ? Or can I re-use the current one ? Can I buy the proper adhesive/sealent from my dealer ? I may need to replace the windshield, as my Bodyman cannot guarantee it will not break upon removal. Regards, Brady
Old 11-27-2003, 07:00 AM
Christer
Race Car

Dave

I told my insurance company that I had a stonechipped rear screen - Autoglass don't care either way. In fact, the rear screen was replaced because some of the contacts for the rear screen heater had been damaged on removal!

Autoglass do supply seals, but they are not Porsche originals so I was told here that they are definitely recommended to ensure a good fit. I think mine cost £100 or so from Type 911.

Regardless of what Adrian and others say, the reality is that it seems that most glass installers these days (and particularly in the UK?) have stated that sealant is NOT used. I am not one for chasing up the correct sealant/cement and applying it myself contrary to what the 'glass experts' believe. I just wanted to know if I was the only one. As I am not, I will see what happens in the next few weeks initially regarding possible leaks. Rust in the future is a scary thought to be honest, but what can I do other than apply this allegedly non-existant sealant myself?

I hate it when this sort of thing happens......

p.s. Graham Richardsons said that if they were reinstalling my screen they would be tempted to put a little sealant in around the screens. I asked if it leaked out. They said 'sometimes'. WTF?
Old 11-27-2003, 07:02 AM
Christer
Race Car

p.p.s

my front screen broke during removal. The rear did not.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:06 AM
pncarrerars
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you live in an area like I do where road maintenance is very poor (Leicestershire please take note!) & therefore need frequent screen replacements then it seems to me a good idea not use sealant. My last screen lasted 1.5 miles!

It is not a matter of cost but the fact that it is impossible not to cause some damage when removing the old sealant. However with no sealant I found that the screen was a rather loose fit so I just used sealant between the glass & seal but not between the seal & body. So far no leaks & replacement is a quick job causing no more paint/body damage.

However back on the subject of air bags. Think what happens (particuarly with the passanger) when the air bag deploys & no sealant has been used. Bag deploys, head hits bag, bag hits screen, screen pops out with bag, head hits dashboard.

Pete
Old 11-27-2003, 07:24 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Christer, if it does rust it will be in like 6/8 years from now. Most likley you'll never see it, but the future owner will. My guess is thats why you had that rust bubble by your rear window as well.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:57 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Christer,

Is the repair up to your expectations? PM me if you want......

Kevin
Old 11-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Christer
Race Car

Kevin

The repair and the paint is to a very high standard as far as I can see. The car now looks almost new! Very happy.

The screens are certainly not a loose fit at all, there are no creaks or anything else to suggest movement so maybe it is down to the original Porsche seals?
Old 11-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Christer,
There seems to be no problem around here obtaining the glue. It is actually a glue and not sealant like silicon stuff you get from the supermarket.
It is down to cost. When I was in Scotland we went out to obtain some of this stuff for a friend who had exactly the same issue with his 928 rear window. He went to the glass repairer in Ayr, ABS glass or something and the guy told him that this stuff is very expensive, they do not keep it in stock because it is only used for Porsches.
Oh yes his rear window leaked like a sieve and you could see it had not been installed properly. Wrong seal and not glued into place. Terrible job. However he did not notice these things until I pointed them out to him.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-27-2003, 05:09 PM
bikeaddict
Intermediate

I just had mine replaced two weeks ago and I watched the guy do it. There was no evidence of glue. The seal had deteriorated but came out without being scrapped out and there was no paint damage. The new seal was provided by the shop that did the glass.

My two cents.

Larry

91 C2
Old 11-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Christer
Race Car

Hi Adrian

For me though it definitely isn't a cost-related issue. I just wish life was easy and everyone who gave advice gave the same advice. If all or most of the glass fitters in the UK say that screens are not glued in on the 964, then that is the reality of what happens here.

Either way, I will share my experience here negative or positive.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:48 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Christer,
You need to modify this statement a little bit.

"If all or most of the glass fitters in the UK say that screens are not glued in on the 964"

This should read "UK glass fitters DO NOT glue the screens in". When the 964 was delivered from the factory to anywhere in the world including the UK the windscreen was glued in.

Your first statement suggests that UK 964s did not originally have glued in windscreens which is not correct.

This thread leaves me with an interesting dilemma. I thought I had the basic Porsche owners profile down pat. This thread will keep me observing other threads in the future when it comes down to various comments about Porsche and their methods and procedures and how they are used.
It is obvious from this thread that Porsche repair procedures are not important anymore in some places. At least the warranty period is run out.

Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-28-2003, 04:36 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Hi,
Actually - I think Christers original statement was correct.

When I booked my windscreen with Autoglass they told me that I would have to take the car to them because the screen needed to be glued in - but that was because they had the year wrong. When I clarified the year, they told me that the windscreen did NOT need to be bonded in - that it was for 993s, but not 964s.

I don't think that anyone on this forum is disputing that the Porsche procedures say it should be bonded in, but the glass repairers in the UK do SAY that it isn't - and hence they don't.

If I was having mine done again, I would question it. However, as far as I can tell, my screen doesn't leak. I guess in years to come, the rust will be an issue.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:39 AM
Christer
Race Car

Yes, that is what I meant to say....

I think I will just carefully monitor whether I have any ingress of water. If not, then I prefer not to glue anyway as there will always be a way in for water and having to scrape that glue off with most of the metal in the aperture next time is not an attractive option.

Hopefully I can make a case for 'say No to glue' in time. Or perhaps I will be eating my own seals within the next few weeks?

Fingers crossed....
Old 11-28-2003, 06:06 AM
pncarrerars
Instructor

On the subject of corrosion around the screen. When I replaced my screen, which was the original one & glued in, there was no corrosion. However after removing the old glue with solvent (comes off very slowly with cellulose thinners without damaging the paint) I noticed the the person in the factory who fitted the headlining had trimmed it with a blade & in places cut through the paint & galvanizing. I suspect that this poor work practice is the source of corrosion on a number of cars as there is no guarantee that the glue seals all the damage.

Pete

Quick Reply: Windscreen replacement - no sealant?