Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windscreen replacement - no sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windscreen replacement - no sealant?

Following other threads where screen replacement have been discussed, I am now slightly concerned and would like some help:

Can anyone that has had a screen replaced and knows that a sealant wasn't used let me have their feedback whether negative or positive regarding their experience?

As I have said on other threads, Autoglass have just replaced my front and rear screens (using Original Porsche seals though that I provided) and they have told me that no sealant is used and that is the way it should be. To back this up, the bodywork guys unrelated to Autoglass have independently stated that there were no signs of sealant having been used before...

Your feedback would be hugely appreciated.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Christer,

I have just had my front screen replaced and no sealant was used.

Using sealant simply means that the seal does not meet the bodywork and therefore does not fit as it should.

Regards,

Jim.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:51 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I had my front screen replaced - and also didn't have sealant. But that's probably not surprising since I also used Autoglass - they told me 993s need sealant and 964s don't.

I know that the threads on here say it SHOULD have sealant, and I only saw those after mine was done. My old screen clearly didn't have sealant - but on a 14 year old car, that may just mean it's been replaced before and that it was done by Autoglass then as well.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:15 AM
pncarrerars
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Porsche workshop manual sealant should be used. I have been told that this is so that the screen provides support for a deployed air bag, otherwise it could easily pop out & the bag could go with it.

However I have replaced the screen on my '92 964 RS without sealant & no problems so far. The original screen used sealant which took nearly a day to remove.

Pete
Old 11-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christer,

Try asking Jonas at JZs, they replaced mine and I'm quite sure they used sealant. As Pete says, the workshop manual says to use it.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Christer
Race Car

Hi Riccardo. Actually I am looking for comments from people that know there was NO sealant used, to see if there is a trend of leaks or whatever.

On the other hand, I guess I will find out myself!
Old 11-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Christer,

I'm soon to replace my front screen. You said you supplied the Porsche seals ? don't they provide this themselves ?

One other thing, will they replace a screen due to 2 small stonechips, or do they need to see more damage?

cheers,
Greg
Old 11-26-2003, 12:23 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Greg,
No - they don't provide the seals themselves.

As for the chips - it's entirely up to you. With mine, I wanted it replaced because I had one small chip in the drivers view. I asked them how bad it had to be before they would replace the screen. They didn't care - just said if they repaired it I wouldn't have to pay any excess on my insurance and if they replaced it I would.

Christer - how did you justify replacement of the rear screen to your insurance company? I want mine replaced since only some of my rear window heater works.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info Dave
Old 11-26-2003, 01:30 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Christer,

My front screen had no sealant, and was a replacement, its a siglia? I think, so its been out before.

Dave, Direct line didn't question me about the screen replacement when I asked, I didn't volunteer any info neither, sort of danced round the issue...

Kevin
Old 11-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No sealant = Rust eventually.
Plenty of evidence of this already.
The statement about the sealants and airbags is not true. If you read the manual it quite clearly provides sealant cure time for cars with and without airbags. It is the sealant cure time which is related to the airbags popping the windows out.
No sealant and you run the risk of rust it is as simple as that.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-26-2003, 02:57 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Adrian,

I can't for the life of me understand why this should be so, afterall many car models do not have windscreens glued in place, yet they suffer no rust, why should Porsche be any different?
To me it makes no sense if the car is prepared and assembled correctly, I have said before. My old Audi has many stone chips/blemishes that are through to the zinc, and I have not one rust spot anywhere. Why should a supposed quality manufacturer be different, It seems as though they are not confident of any of their rust protection processes.

Kevin
Old 11-26-2003, 03:09 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would guess it is what sits in the groove, under the window rubber that causes the rust...along the seaboard, you will have salty-air, in the Midwest of the U.S. - you will have salt on the roads.

ANYWHERE, if water can get in, and sticks around long enough...the act of temps rising/falling will cause a steaming effect and eventually bubble up the paint underneath - which now introduces moisture to a ferrous metal.

...and that's NOT good!

SO, I would imagine that is what Adrian is referring to.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:14 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Ok Jeff, that may be, but in my personal case the front screen has no rust, the rear screen did, guess which one was replaced?

Your starter for ten is........not the obvious one.

Kevin
Old 11-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Kevin,
When your 964 left the factory the windscreen was sealed and glued into position. Fact! Since this time it has been smashed or had to be smashed to be replaced. To remove all the glued in glass takes a lot of effort and Porsche acknowledge that this will cause damage to the metal work and the galvanisation. Once the glass is removed the glue or sealant has to be removed by scrapping it off. This also damages the metalwork. The damaged metalwork has to be repaired. IF this is not done properly and IF the new windshield is not glued into place and IF the incorrect seal is used you will get water onto bare exposed steel under and around the glass and it rusts. Seriously rusts in lower corners and under the dash.
There is an approved procedure for installing the windscreens. I cannot understand why people argue against following the laid down procedure. It is there for a reason. The only reason I can see for arguing against doing the job properly is one of cost. It costs a little more to use the right parts, use the sealant/glue, so what. Nobody said Porsche ownership is cheap.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: Was the rear window sealed when it was removed because they can only be smashed out when correctly installed.

Quick Reply: Windscreen replacement - no sealant?