Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximum amount of time sat in garage without turn over !

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 03:24 AM
pipster3333
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximum amount of time sat in garage without turn over !

Hi guys,

Got a dylema...currently abroad and really need to extend my trip to a further month...

Anyone know if the old 964 can handle 2 months of no engine turn over ?

Any idea ?

Pip

Old 12-05-2003, 03:41 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Pip,
Not a problem for anything except the battery which will be fairly falt by now unless you either disconnected it or installed a trickle charger. The engine and that, no problem.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-05-2003, 03:48 AM
pipster3333
5th Gear

Wink

Thanks Adrian

I have installed an auto cut-off widget, so that should have kicked in by now...

Phew...can change my flight details...

Keep up the good work !

Pip
Old 12-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Alister Thomas
Advanced

My car quite often goes 2 to 3 weeks without being used (London living!). But what concerns me is the road I park on has a slight camber, so it's not parked completely flat. Any ideas whether this will this cause the oil to collect excessively in one side of the engine or specific components? (I tend to switch roads sides to even up the parking)
Old 12-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Hey Pip,

How is it going? Enjoying Oz?

Whats up, don't trust Titanic for these kind of queries?

When I left my 964 for a month and recconnected the battery it started first time no probs and not even any smoke from the exhaust. Mind you, I did manage to kill the battery by leaving it go completely flat so had to buy a new one...
Old 12-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Alister,
The 964 is not that sensitive. Only 2 litres of oil remain in the engine after shutdown. Most of it is what we call unusable oil, collected in places it cannot be collected up from. You would have trouble trying to drain this oil.
Do not worry about it. If you are going to store it for 3 months or more is when you have to look at inhibiting and the like.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Alister Thomas
Advanced

Cheers Adrian. Wasn't sure so thanks for allaying fears.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:56 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Another concern for stored cars is internal corrosion in the engine. If the space location is not at consistent temperature, the engine will get cold overnight. During the day, the air warms faster than the engine, and you can get condensation on the cold metal parts. The most critical area is the piston rings, where the aluminum will corrode enough to cause the rings to stick. I know this because I had to rebuild an engine that was fine except for stuck piston rings.

Solutions for long-term storage:

1) Always have the car fully warmed up from a long drive before putting away. The worst situation is to move the car only a short distance, and then shut off, as there is not time for heat to drive off moisture

2) If at all possible, store and prefereably where the temperature is stable

3) A dehumidifyer helps a lot.

4) Parts supply houses sell "engine fogging oil" that you can spray into the intake before putting the car up for a long time.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Alister Thomas
Advanced

I used to have a motorbike and when storing that in a garage over the winter, a tip given to me was to spray a generous amount of WD40 down the exhuast pipe. Then bung the exhaust with (say) a towel and plastic bag and elastic band to stop moisture getting in.

Not sure this would have any affect on a 964 but sealing the exhaust exist may stop additional moist air getting in. just remember to unplug in the spring!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:31 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Great idea, but don't worry if you forget to unplug the exhaust - you will soon be reminded! Seriously, put a flag on the ignition switch, especially if the plug is flammable or well secured.

The "motor fogging oil" that I referred to in the prevous post is what you should use for corrosion inhibition. WD 40 is better than nothing, but the fogging oil tolerates moisture, and has corrosion inhibitors. I used it for years to winterize a boat motor that was stored over the winter. When I pull the plugs in the spring, I never see even a trace of corrosion.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:01 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I store the car for roughly 3 months every winter- never had a problem in the past 10 years with three different 911's. (78, 87 and now 93). Usually I put in a few extra PSI of tire pressure to help avoid flat spots in the tires. I have never had a problem with flat spots after 3 monts- if any wobble/judder from the wheels, usually a nice 5 minute drive on the highway warms the tires and the small flat spot disappears- may not be the same story if the car sat on tires for say 12 months though....

Overall though, to answer your original question, after 2 months you should be fine pipster3333
Old 12-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I store my sports cars typically from mid October to about May 1 every year. I have not had any problems after years of storing cars so far, though I do use a pretty long preparation procedure before the cars get tucked into the garage. I agree with others in that I think you're fine with such a short period of inactivity.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:06 PM
porsch964
Intermediate

I added gas stabilizer in the gas tank and left it for 6 months while was overseas No problem.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:39 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jah H- my symphathy to you! I can't wait to get back in my car after 3-4 months- you lose over 6 months of use I thought New Jersey was bad...

Sorry to get off the original topic, but just a fellow Rennlister feeling your pain
Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 AM
matthewb
5th Gear

I'm new to the 964 and this will be my first attempt at winterizing. Streather says in his book (Enthusiast's Companion) to drain a quart of oil. What is the purpose of this? What is the best way to do it? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Maximum amount of time sat in garage without turn over !