New Check Scam "seller Be Ware"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Ken From KLA Industries
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Check Scam "seller Be Ware"

NEW CHECK SCAM "SELLER BE WARE"

The Nigerian Counterfeit Check scam artists are hitting this site in full force. Here is another example of emails that they send to sellers

First e-mail

Hi,

Just wanted to find out if you still have your 911 Turbo 930coupe for sale, I have a client who could buy it for $28,000. We will arrange for pick up as soon as the transaction is concluded and payment is confirmed. Please get back to me immediately with the price.

Thanks

Terry.......

Second e-mail

Ken,

How are you today. I spoke with my client over the weekend and he said I should settle for the price of 28,500 if you do not agree for 28,000. I was to relate the information before your mail came.

He has instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $34,200. Which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.

You are required to deduct cost of the car $28,500 when payment gets to you and refund balance $5,700 to my customer via western union money transfer for him to be able to upset shipping charges.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him, our agent will come pick up title and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer, while title papers and other necessary documets will be handed over to the shipper as they come for pick up.

Confirm this and provide NAME, ADDRESS, and PHONE number for check payment
to be delivered to you ASAP

Thanks,

Terry....

Third e-mail

Ken,

How are you today. just saw your info and I will go ahead and send it to my client. As soon as the check is sent and I get the confirmation from him that it is sent, I'll let you know.

We would prefer to get the deal over with before next week end so the pick up will be made immediately.

Thank you and have a great day.

Terry........

Fourth e-mail

Ken,

How are you, I just got the confirmation that the check have been sent and will probably get to you by Monday. But whichever, as soon as you receive it, please get me informed for further instruction as regards the transaction.

Thank you and have a great day.

Terry.........

The cashier’s check was received today from Nigeria written against

Corporate America Family Credit Union
Elgin Ill.
From Mike Campbell

I called and sure enough the check is bogus. The U.S. Secret service in investigating but has no authority in Nigeria.

SELLER BE WARE.

Ken
Old 12-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, they're hitting all the sites.

I had a trailer for sale on a local oval track's website and got THREE of those offers, by the time I received the 3rd one...I replied in quite the curt manner, basically calling them on their fraudulent scheme.

Guess what??

No reply.

LOSERS!
Old 12-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Same here in Europe, I must have got at least 10 enquiries from these time wasters, now I just delete them without paying attention. On one I played along and even got them to send me the cheque, which my bank accepted and paid in, but eventually it bounced.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:08 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same problem here in Oman although a different style of scam, but still emanating from Nigeria. I believe recently 4 persons were arrested in relation to the scam after making their way to Dubai to cash in on the deal. After speaking to a Nigerian colleague regarding the subject he mentioned this type of "business" was abundant in Nigeria!

Youcef

Quick Reply: New Check Scam "seller Be Ware"