Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is the tire wear (nice pun) supposed to reach on the sidewall...tire press ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 04:22 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts
Default where is the tire wear (nice pun) supposed to reach on the sidewall...tire press ?

With all the buzz about tires, pressures, etc., I have them on my mind.

My main question is, where is the wear line supposed to be on these Yokohama AVS ES100's - 255/40 17's???

In light of the sticker on my car saying it wants 36psi in the front and rear tires, it seems that the rears would desire a lower pressure than 36psi based on the wear (if they have the ability to desire...!).

I took a picture of the tire sidewall below. As you can see, since raising the pressure to 36psi cold from about 30 which it was before, the wear has moved a lot further away from the sidewall of the tire. It used to be almost at the line - maybe 2mm from that sidewall line.

When I race my 65 911, I determine the correct tire pressure based on the wear extension on the sidewall of the tire. Am I correct in assuming that it appears I have over inflated my tires since they are wearing so far from the side wall?

Thanks!!!!

PS Makes me wonder if the additional road noise I have been noticing in my ES100's is due to too much pressure??
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2004, 04:25 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts
Default and on to the front tires...

While I had my camera, I ought to ask you all about my front tires...

are these suckers worn out (Yokohama A-008P 205/50-17)?? They look old and cracked, but seems to have the wear indicators saying I've still got tread.

In this shot, you can see that the tire pressure looks right-on, according to the tire wear.

But, I could be totally wrong!
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

The front tire wear looks pretty good. Be sure to check for cupping and chopping too. As for the cracks, that tire is done - dry rotted. I would replace them if it were my car.

As for the rears, I always think the factories put the little triangles a little too low. I think the wear looked good when it was just going to the mold injection points. This is considering some fairly aggressive driving, not just putting around.

Matt
Old 01-18-2004, 07:59 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

Well, how much a tire rolls over is influenced be many factors, pressure just being one. Your alignment (in particular camber) will play a great part, as does how hard you drive into a corner.

Now, with that disclaimer out of the way, I would say that your rears appear to be right on, and the fronts are a bit too high.

You normally want to get down to the tip of the triangle, or you aren't really using enough of the tires capability.

FWIW, I use the little triangles on my Kumho Victoracers to dial in the pressure for autocross. I find that the roll over tends to agree with the stop watch and my seat of the pants feel.

The correct way to get the pressure right is with a pyrometer, but failing that, the roll over indicators due tend to work OK.

And one more thought......I would never push hard enough on the street for the roll over indicators to come into play. That is saved for the track.

BGL
Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 AM
UKKid35
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Can help to use Tipex or similar on the triangles

Quick Reply: where is the tire wear (nice pun) supposed to reach on the sidewall...tire press ?