ignition key barrel spinning

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:53 PM
overthehorizon
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default ignition key barrel spinning

Hi all
I am in the process of recommissioning a 89 LHD in slate grey.
One of the (many) obstacles to overcome is the ignition barrel/lock.
Forgive me for my basic description - I am not mechanical at all.
When I acquired the car, it came without keys. I have since requested and received the correct matching key for the VIN. It fits the lock barrel of the ignition lock fine but the keys turns freely round (and round) in the lock without much resistance and obviously doesn't fire up the car.
I have looked at the price of a entire replacement steering wheel ignition lock and key and it seems to be an astonishing $800 or so.
Is there any way of simply fixing the barrel? Or do I need to bite the bullet and buy the whole thing?
Does anyone have a used steering wheel ignition lock or barrel?
Any help much appreciated. By the way, I'm over in Yorkshire, England.
Phil
Old 12-13-2018, 05:59 PM
overthehorizon
Track Day

I should have added that my ignition key doesn't match my door locks either to compound the problem. Is there a way to change the barrels in the door locks and match them into my key? Thanks
Old 12-15-2018, 04:13 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven’t myself had this type of problem,yet thank goodness! It looks to me as though you need a new ignition switch (look up Type911.co.uk they sell them for £120 all in including delivery). I think there are 2 non tamper bolts that hold it in place,which can be undone with a screw extractor. If you are not good at DIY then get in touch with an auto electrician! I’m not sure about whether the key you got will work with the new switch or not, so ask the auto electrician about that. Good luck with this, I will monitor your post to check for updates. I live in North Wales.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:26 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto electrician not much help with the ignition switch, its a mechanical fix rather than an electrical one

Yes you can change the ignition barrel, there is a guide on here somewhere I'm sure. You drill out the pin that holds it and replace (I did it years ago when someone damaged my lock trying to steal the car) At the time I bought a replacement lock from a breaker

The ignition switch from Type 911 is unlikely to solve your problem, as its the keyed part that is seems faulty rather than the electrical part of the switch

My ignition key is now different to the door locks, but I never use the door key anyway so its no issue. You can re-key them to match by moving the pins, again there is a guide on here, but its not for the faint hearted!

Best bet is call Douglas Valley or another breaker for a replacement steering lock/ignition (edit just checked e bay, they want over £400.00 for a used one!!!)
Old 12-16-2018, 08:01 AM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Ok I’ll bow to superior knowledge on this subject! Check out cmsporsche.co.uk at Telford or any of the other breakers that charge reasonably, unlike Douglas Valley who rip off people!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 PM
overthehorizon
Track Day

thanks for the comments - very helpful

Quick Reply: ignition key barrel spinning