Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real cup car or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 12:35 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Interesting read here and correlates with my observations pretty well: https://flatsixes.com/porsche-produc...ers-explained/

I've noted though that the last two digits are not only for modifications (which can be as simple as a plating change or as complex as changed machining) but that numbers above ".60 " are usually assigned to limited production and/or racing parts.

I was at the factory once and they had at that time in the early 80's a huge library with the book shelves and rows labeled with part numbers and I bet the shelves had the original drawing for parts filed by part number. But not sure.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:51 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Interesting info. I just got an email saying they accepted my US Cup to be in the PCA 75th Anniversary display at Rennsport. Wasn’t sure if it was gonna get accepted as I heard the bar this year was a lot higher than previously. There is supposed to be a blue prototype 901 entered (not sure if it is Alois Ruf’s car which won in its class this year at the Pebble Beach Concours and is the earliest 901/911 in existence even earlier than the one Porsche has in its own collection). Character count of the description is limited to 600 which probably isn’t enough to do these cars justice, but I’ll do the best I can.
The following users liked this post:
kecho (09-05-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 12:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Interesting info. I just got an email saying they accepted my US Cup to be in the PCA 75th Anniversary display at Rennsport. Wasn’t sure if it was gonna get accepted as I heard the bar this year was a lot higher than previously. There is supposed to be a blue prototype 901 entered (not sure if it is Alois Ruf’s car which won in its class this year at the Pebble Beach Concours and is the earliest 901/911 in existence even earlier than the one Porsche has in its own collection). Character count of the description is limited to 600 which probably isn’t enough to do these cars justice, but I’ll do the best I can.
congrats

looking forward to seeing it.

i know of the existence of the first US 901 and 911. So these must be RoW cars.

The porsche parts numbering system is similar to what i dealt with regarding Sikorsky helicopter parts. In the case of the covers they changed the 1st of the last 3 digits vs the 2 suffix which is a bit unlike what I’m used to seeing. I would have expected the .00 to be changed as mentioned.
RapidGT (08-25-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 10:13 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Was wondering how all the US imported 964’s had to be at a standard higher ride height throughout the model range (higher than RoW) due to DOT regulations. However the Cup USA had suspension that lowered it 50mm compared to a US spec 964. How were they able to get away with this?
Old 09-04-2023, 12:27 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Was wondering how all the US imported 964’s had to be at a standard higher ride height throughout the model range (higher than RoW) due to DOT regulations. However the Cup USA had suspension that lowered it 50mm compared to a US spec 964. How were they able to get away with this?
Good question. I wondered the same thing, but then I could not find a FMVSS government height standard for headlamps and wondered if there even is one. Only that the lamp had to be adjustable to a certain specification.

I have heard of such a regulation and that is mentioned about the height of USA versus ROW Porsche's, but I have not seen the regulation in text.

Can anyone cite the law here?

Last edited by Cupcar; 09-04-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I suspect like many things Porsche did back then they pulled a fast one. Most likely bringing the cars in through a different port than usual usually did it. Just like Bob's America GS and Last 930 turbo cars that should not have been allowed in were somehow shipped out west someplace to inspectors that didn't know what they were looking at. I suspect they were so closely looking for airbags and other features to be present nobody picked up on it.

The requirement dates back to 1973 and the reason Porsche added the ugly bellows bumpers in 74.

Some of the primary info. It would appear that they came to their conclusions through testing and presented it to the US DoT which approved the installation of impact absorbing shocks on the front/rear bumper and the additional ride height. More than likely this info wasn't part of the inspectors focus and reviewing the import documents might tell us more.

FMVSS 208 states: occupant crash protection.

Specific Purpose: to establish specific performance requirements for the protection of vehicle occupants in crashes.
The critical crash tests were:
  • Frontal barrier crash into fixed barrier at 30 mph and up to 30° from perpendicular.
  • Lateral moving barrier crash at 20 mph.
  • Rollover test at 30 mph (only the first injury criteria applies).
The injury criteria were:
  • no occupant ejection
  • limited acceleration for —occupant head --occupant upper thorax - limited force transmitted through upper leg.
The Standard specifically sets crash and injury criteria for 1974 models:
  • Frontal barrier crashes
  • Lateral moving barrier crashes and for 1975 models
  • Rollover test. The test crashes are at moderate speeds and into flat vertical surfaces. Therefor ,the most applicable crashes are of these types. However, one can expect similar effects in collisions with other approximately flat objects, though possibly only at lower speeds.
  • This is designed to prevent bodily injury at speeds of 5-30mph.
I spent some time down at the DoT compliance center in NJ off 1&9 (Tunnelly Ave for you people from NJ) run by Joe Nastasi during the grey market days. They were very focused on impact back then including limiting bodily and vehicle harm. I helped him make parts to test the rear wings on 930's to prove if the RoW impact bumperettes would work instead of swapping out to the US spec extra large versions.

Last edited by cobalt; 09-05-2023 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:51 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I will be there with mine, parked in the 964 Corral.

RapidGT (09-06-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 11:55 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

We also got away with thin side panel glass as well. "O57"

Last edited by kecho; 09-06-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:55 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

It is interesting that stretching the rules with the thirty 959 street cars imported by Al Holbert as "race cars" is what got Porsche into trouble before and the reason the '92 USA Cup cars had to be imported as street legal cars and then made into race cars here in USA. Porsche was not allowed to import any racing variant of a street Porsche at the time unlike now. https://www.autoweek.com/news/a21025...-be-traversed/

And...they still kept stretching the rules with this Carrera Cup plan.

Keep in mind the "plan" was never to have these cars see street use.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kecho
I will be there with mine, parked in the 964 Corral.
Cool,

I am compiling a long list of rennlist and Pelican members that will be at the coral. I hope to meet up if not at least see your car.

We also got away with thin side panel glass as well. "O56"
Interestingly I learned that the thinner side glass is DoT approved along with the back glass. I believe that was a Porsche decision not to include it for US models.

This is from a 993 RSR 3.8 the side windows are thin glass and still carry the DOT27 markings as do the US thicker glass. The glass is thinner but not sure how much it actually saves and IIRC only about .020" thinner than stock.

Originally Posted by Cupcar
It is interesting that stretching the rules with the thirty 959 street cars imported by Al Holbert as "race cars" is what got Porsche into trouble before and the reason the '92 USA Cup cars had to be imported as street legal cars and then made into race cars here in USA. Porsche was not allowed to import any racing variant of a street Porsche at the time unlike now. https://www.autoweek.com/news/a21025...-be-traversed/

And...they still kept stretching the rules with this Carrera Cup plan.

Keep in mind the "plan" was never to have these cars see street use.
The Porsche way!!! They have been playing with the US DoT & EPA for as long as I can remember. Although most of our rules are to help people that IMO should never get behind the wheel of a car to begin with. The document is so poorly written and ambiguous as well.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:00 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Anthony,
Let's just set a time and day to meet. Between the hours of......(a one hour spread)

Originally Posted by cobalt
Cool,

I am compiling a long list of rennlist and Pelican members that will be at the coral. I hope to meet up if not at least see your car.

Interestingly I learned that the thinner side glass is DoT approved along with the back glass. I believe that was a Porsche decision not to include it for US models.

This is from a 993 RSR 3.8 the side windows are thin glass and still carry the DOT27 markings as do the US thicker glass. The glass is thinner but not sure how much it actually saves and IIRC only about .020" thinner than stock.

The Porsche way!!! They have been playing with the US DoT & EPA for as long as I can remember. Although most of our rules are to help people that IMO should never get behind the wheel of a car to begin with. The document is so poorly written and ambiguous as well.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Anthony,
Let's just set a time and day to meet. Between the hours of......(a one hour spread)
I will discuss with management and PM you. It is her special B-day so she calls the shots this trip. Sounds like the best way to make it work.
Old 09-07-2023, 02:30 PM
mtrx2020
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't have my cup at Rennsport, but will be there and would love to meet other owners.

That said, another cup owner and I are going to have our cars featured in the Luft Curated Display at the Chattanooga Motorcar Festival on Fri 10/13, then will be doing the Petrol and the Road Smokies rally that weekend if anyone's cars are in the area and wants to join. We're shipping our cars from Chicago and Denver, so proximity in the region isn't a requisite :-).

https://chattanoogamotorcar.com/luftgekuhlt/
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...porated-031292
Old 09-08-2023, 07:49 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts

I wished i could join you guys it's in my bucket list, have fun and post some cool photos
Old 10-05-2023, 08:02 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts

Anyone going to the Boardwalk Reunion in Ocean City, NJ October 14th? as of yesterday they have a little over 400 P cars signed in. Last year was amazing!

Quick Reply: Real cup car or fake?