Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fikse ZF/Michelin Pilot Sport 2s Rubbing In Front...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 06:34 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fikse ZF/Michelin Pilot Sport 2s Rubbing In Front...

So after waiting 20 weeks for my Fikse ZF 7.5x17 wheels and shodding them with Michelin Pilot Sport 2s 225/45R17s in the front, I've come to find out that they are rubbing on the outside fender near the transition zone from the fender to the front bumper on both sides....I've attached a picture to show the area. I lined the fender lip with blue tape and went for a spin to see where the tape would get scuffed up from rubbing. I was assured that the wheels would be sized appropriately so that rubbing wouldn't be an issue. I do have H&R lowering springs which may be part of the problem but seeing where the rub is makes me wonder otherwise as it is not rubbing at the zenith of the fender arc.

My question is, could this be a simple matter of adjusting the caster or will I have to roll the fender. It could be a tricky place to roll the fender as it is the transition zone to the front bumper? Thanks in advance for any sage advice!
Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Make sure that the little protruding piece where the fender transitions to the bumper has been cutoff, there is a service bulletin about it for the 17” wheels. If that is already addressed and not your issue, back off the caster slightly and you will clear.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I’ll There is a TSB regarding this. I had the same issue. You have to grind down the flange where the bumper meets the fender a bit. After doing this I was able to keep the caster setting without issues. I actually did it in the hardware store parking lot because I was in the middle of a road trip- cheap grinder, jack up one corner at a time- didn’t even pull the wheel.

What offset are the wheels? Any rubbing on the inner fenders?
Old 05-09-2019, 12:59 AM
August West
Rennlist Member

Hey, thanks, guys for all your input....I filed down the little metal protrusion and it helped a little but I do think I have to adjust the caster a bit and see if that'll cure the rub. My wheels do look a little too far forward within the wheel wells.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:09 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Fitment looks pretty typical to me. 993 upper strut mounts are offset for most caster. I believe they have the same camber offset as the 964 mounts. You could try using the 993 parts to lean the top of the strut toward the rear, which will move the wheel slightly to the rear and give you more clearance. Then dial the caster back down to the 964 4.x° spec using the control arm ball joint. Or keep the extra 1° of caster that the 993 mounts will give you.

How do these compare to your previous wheel weights? Any reduction >4lbs per corner should be noticeable!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -nick
Fitment looks pretty typical to me. 993 upper strut mounts are offset for most caster. I believe they have the same camber offset as the 964 mounts. You could try using the 993 parts to lean the top of the strut toward the rear, which will move the wheel slightly to the rear and give you more clearance. Then dial the caster back down to the 964 4.x° spec using the control arm ball joint. Or keep the extra 1° of caster that the 993 mounts will give you.

How do these compare to your previous wheel weights? Any reduction >4lbs per corner should be noticeable!
My prior wheels were actually Boxster wheels that came with the car when I got it. The Fikses weigh as follows: Front 7.5x17 17.5 pounds, 39.8 pounds with tire. Rear 9x17 18.8 pounds, 43 pounds with tire. The fronts were 1.8 pounds more than the old wheel/tires and the rears are 1.8 pounds more than the old wheel/tires, for a total of 7.2 pounds added. The originals were front 6x16, rear 8x16, so the added weight is because the rims are just bigger overall.

Quick Reply: Fikse ZF/Michelin Pilot Sport 2s Rubbing In Front...