Sponsored by:

Collector insurance on 964s

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:43 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jon91581
I'm using Safeco's classic car coverage right now on my 964. I've got a $50K agreed upon value policy with regular use of up to 10,000 miles and $100 deductible for less than $400/year. Fingers crossed that I never have to use it, but the language in the policy documents clearly states that I don't have to limit use to just car shows, parades, weekends, holidays, etc. Coverage is comprehensive for collision and "other than collsion" damages.
+1 on Safeco
Old 06-13-2019, 03:16 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had great luck with Heacock
Old 06-14-2019, 10:52 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
+1 on Safeco
I got a $1400 quote for all three cars and all the agreed value I asked for. They asked for payment and for me to bind the coverage today.
I replied via email with these two questions:
- Any mileage restrictions?
- How is diminished value handled for cars like the mint green one? If it gets damaged and repaired, the value drops dramatically since much of the value is based on originality of the car. Can you explain how this would work to me?

She replied:
It seems you need an agency who specializes in these products, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Huh??? OK...

So I bound with Chubb for 30 days and we'll see what my other options are. Hagerty wanted $4800 just for the minty... that's insane.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:16 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
...She replied: It seems you need an agency who specializes in these products, I'm sorry for wasting your time....
That's why I had to get my car appraised. SF initially agreed to my agreed value amount, but then later required me to get it appraised. The appraisal came in higher than my first agreed value amount, and SF willingly raised the agreed value to the appraisal amount. I'm so glad I got the car appraised, well worth the $300 for a full report on the car. I had no problem getting the car covered for a fair amount, but naturally they don't have much experience with this type of situation and weren't going to take word for the car's value. Sure specialty insurance companies are familiar with this type of situation, but I still can't see them agreeing to covering rare cars without an appraisal. Given the premium this car commands, I would consider it the cost of doing business, and protection well worth the effort.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:24 AM
jon91581
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Safeco

Yep, can attest to having to go through an agent to get the agreed upon value policy for my 964. I only had to submit various pictures of my car, though. I don't recall having to get an independent appraisal of the car. Maybe if I were trying to get a higher agreed upon value, the process may have been different.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:40 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
That's why I had to get my car appraised. SF initially agreed to my agreed value amount, but then later required me to get it appraised. The appraisal came in higher than my first agreed value amount, and SF willingly raised the agreed value to the appraisal amount. I'm so glad I got the car appraised, well worth the $300 for a full report on the car. I had no problem getting the car covered for a fair amount, but naturally they don't have much experience with this type of situation and weren't going to take word for the car's value. Sure specialty insurance companies are familiar with this type of situation, but I still can't see them agreeing to covering rare cars without an appraisal. Given the premium this car commands, I would consider it the cost of doing business, and protection well worth the effort.
I'm totally open to the appraisal... probably going to be necessary anywhere.
Kind of on this topic: I went to register the car yesterday, get temp plates and apply for my DBLMINT prestige tags ... I brought a pocket of cash with to pay the sales tax and it ended up being $15. I was blown away... she said they just changed their rules to anything over 25 years old is taxed on the value of $100. I thought that would mean I owed $7.50 instead of the $15, but I wasn't going to argue and happily paid my $15 sales tax plus $100 for the prestige tag.

My buddy just bought the most beat up C2 Cab in the world for $17,000 with 200,000 miles... the same office tried to make him pay based on a $47,000 valuation and told him miles and condition didn't matter. He went through a very length appeal process and they finally agreed to let him pay tax on the bill of sale amount, which is still a lot more than my $15. A month later I walk in and all the rules are changed. I guess I need to thank my friend!
Old 06-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

So I bound with Chubb for 30 days and we'll see what my other options are. Hagerty wanted $4800 just for the minty... that's insane.
I've got Hagerty and found the more cars you put on your policy the cheaper the rate. I've got a them covering my collection and my 997.2 GT3 and 964 both have high agreed values and both combined at WAY WAY cheaper than what they quoted you.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

An issue I ran into with Hagerty, Grundy and Leland West is that they require you to have a separate car for each licensed driver in the family in addition to the classic car you want to insure.
My wife and I are retired and we have one family car and my 964....finally went with American National Insurance.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:01 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Earlydays
An issue I ran into with Hagerty, Grundy and Leland West is that they require you to have a separate car for each licensed driver in the family in addition to the classic car you want to insure.
My wife and I are retired and we have one family car and my 964....finally went with American National Insurance.
That's pretty standard I think. I daily a Raptor and my wife a Macan GTS... daughter has an $11,000 Jetta that costs $4100 a year to insure!!
Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by jon91581
Yep, can attest to having to go through an agent to get the agreed upon value policy for my 964. I only had to submit various pictures of my car, though. I don't recall having to get an independent appraisal of the car. Maybe if I were trying to get a higher agreed upon value, the process may have been different.
I only had to submit pictures at the same SF agent for my previous 964. It had twice the miles and though in very good condition the AV was a bit lower. This 964 is in much better condition overall, and the AV request must have raised a flag somewhere up the ladder so needed to be validated. Understandable.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:41 PM
phil_m
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm totally open to the appraisal... probably going to be necessary anywhere.
Kind of on this topic: I went to register the car yesterday, get temp plates and apply for my DBLMINT prestige tags ... I brought a pocket of cash with to pay the sales tax and it ended up being $15. I was blown away... she said they just changed their rules to anything over 25 years old is taxed on the value of $100. I thought that would mean I owed $7.50 instead of the $15, but I wasn't going to argue and happily paid my $15 sales tax plus $100 for the prestige tag.

My buddy just bought the most beat up C2 Cab in the world for $17,000 with 200,000 miles... the same office tried to make him pay based on a $47,000 valuation and told him miles and condition didn't matter. He went through a very length appeal process and they finally agreed to let him pay tax on the bill of sale amount, which is still a lot more than my $15. A month later I walk in and all the rules are changed. I guess I need to thank my friend!
Which state?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Safeco...

Originally Posted by Laker
+1 on Safeco
Just got off the phone with them for a quote on my 92.......$45k value, limited use, $1000 a year!
No thanks!

Last edited by abarthguy; 06-16-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:53 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phil_m
Which state?
Georgia
Old 06-17-2019, 08:01 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts

I shopped around for my 92 964 Cup Car and decided to stay with American Collectors since I've been with them for a while. Grundy is also good been with them before but due to a couple of claims I got dropped.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:11 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
$29.24/month at $90k agreed value on '94 C2 with State Farm. I have 5 other cars (3 regular use) and 3 homes also insured with them.
This. State farm classic car is the cheapest i have found, stumbled on it by accident when i had the rest of my policies with them. I have 40k agreed with them and i think i pay either $83 every 6 months or $83 a year, I can't remember. Never had to do any appraisals. I think I emailed my agent a handful of pictures is all.

Quick Reply: Collector insurance on 964s