Sponsored by:

911 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Rindpor
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 comparison

Would those of you that had or have a 84 - 89 Carrera and had or have a 964 give you opinion on their performance (driving on the road not racing), durability and service cost of both versions?
Old 02-19-2020, 11:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I owned many 911's dating back to a 71 E a number of SC's and had a 3.2 for a while. I have settled on the 964 as my all time favorite air-cooled. The coil over suspension, tub stiffness and more modern (still somewhat lacking amenities) over the G body cars along with ABS, better braking and 3.6L engine are a huge plus. The downside of the 964 is its weight. The G bodies are more nimble and no power steering isn't as much of an issue due to the lighter weight. Some might say a bit more visceral but as i get older I am happier with the 964 power assist.

Cost is relative. These are all older cars and a well cared for example can be an easy uneventful experience a neglected car will cost big. Although expect expenses on either and parts for the 964 have become far more expensive recently; shop rates are the same for either.

Both great rides the quest is to find the best example of whatever you decide on which is the challenge. Right now it is far easier to find a clean needs little 3.2 than it is a 964. Although it depends on if you want coupe, targa or cab and in the case of a 964 C2 or C4, manual or tip.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:41 AM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Rindpor, I've had an 84 targa and I now drive a 93 cabriolet. I have also spent quite a bit of time with my dad's 86 cabriolet. I don't drive them on the track (... because cabs) but I am serious about performance and do a fair amount of backroad spirited driving.

I was initially a bit disappointed when I bought the 964: it felt heavy, soft and a bit quiet. It also did not feel as precise when going fast. I would say the heavier dual mass flywheel and the SUV US suspensions were the main culprits. I also found out later on that my steering rack was leaking and needed a rebuilt. After some time however, I realized that the 3.6L is much better than the 3.2L and in itself, is the reason to get the car. On top of that I upgraded the suspensions (KW V1), rebuilt the rack, installed a primary bypass (subtle but noticeable) and the car is now exactly how I want it to be. It does not feel that heavy anymore, sounds great, behaves fantastic on back road and that engine is pretty sweet.

Hope that helps!

Past:

Dad's:

Present:

The following users liked this post:
silverlock (11-06-2022)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:42 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This information is readily available by using the search function here on Rennlist and on Pelican Parts forums. There are probably also videos on YouTube which cover this. The best thing you can probably do though is to go drive some examples of each and see what appeals to you. The search is always part of the fun so good luck!
Old 02-19-2020, 01:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I recently drove an 84 coupe back to back with my 964 Targa in the canyons and my takeaway is that the performance difference is considerable. The 964 engine has significantly more torque and power resulting in much faster acceleration. The 964 suspension allows for many more upgrades which result in sharper steering and much more grip around corners. This is also attributed to the addition of power steering which allows for wider tires without making the car difficult to drive. It’s truly magical when you get one dialed in.

Having said that, the steering feel and feedback is noticeably better in the older car and I found it was just as much fun to push it to its limits in the canyons. I came away wanting one, although not enough to get rid of my 964.

I would agree with hat Anthony mentioned regarding maintenance.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:25 PM
arerrac
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went from this.....

to this......

964 C4 feels more solid and planted. Engine is perfect for the car. 88 Carrera 3.2 was lighter so it felt more nimble. 3.2 engine felt under-powered. Prefer the 964 due to feeling like a totally modern 3.2 with all the bells and whistles it offers. The 3.2 (with plush commemorative edition interior) feels raw compared to the 964. But you have to drive them both to appreciate the difference. .
Old 02-19-2020, 05:15 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

Are you fixing it yourself or paying? Are you looking for a creampuff/investment, driver or project? I think those answers would guide my responses. Had an 87 coupe as my only car for many years, now a 91 C4 coupe.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

964 is more comfortable. Plusher, smoother, quieter. Steering/brakes/pedals all require less effort. More torque, so easier to drive in the city/traffic. It doesn't feel too far off from a modern car.
G-body is more raw (aka less comfortable). It definitely feels like an older design.

The 964 has more sensors and whatnot, as reflected in the many more warning lights on the dash--warning lights that may go on and won't go off until you reset them with the plug in computer (which I don't have at home). I live in a state where these cars still have to be smogged, so that's a concern, the CEL and other lit warning lights.

My 930 has better steering feel, once at speed. It's a heavier feel. Much more so in a parking lot (bad), but also a little bit more solid at speed (which I prefer). The 964 never does anything wrong, but I never quite feel as if I know what it's doing as much as I do the 930.

If I could only have one, I'd keep the 930, but that's also because it's a turbo. Normally aspirated 911 vs 964 would be a tighter decision. The day-to-day comfort of the 964 might sway me in that direction.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Don't forget that these cars are platforms you can tune and adjust to your desired likes or needs. I think that is what draws so many to the air-cooled 911's of all years. You can upgrade and change things to your liking. Too quiet change or modify the exhaust and intake. steering too light you can make adjustments and the 964 allows you to adjust caster which couldn't be done without modifying components on the earlier cars. There is a lot of technology available since the early 964 coil over suspension which is dated. The torsion bar cars feel very different how they respond to bumps and road surfaces.

You can line up a bunch of the same model of each and they will all drive a little different depending on how they are setup or the condition of the parts.

The turbo vs N/A is entirely different debate. My 964 turbo is nothing like my C2. Both very different the C2 is more a drivers car but the turbo is the last to go.

Then you have the 915 vs the G50 debate for both as the later 3.2's came with G50 which some like and others hate.

Also the early 964's are a bit different than the 92 on versions. In 91 they received a CEL something the 89-90's didn't have. There were a bunch of changes made over the years and a common change which really wakes up the 964 IMO is a Lightweight flywheel and tune making it feel more alive like the earlier single mass cars did.

Go and drive as many as you can it is the only way to decide what is best for you.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:46 AM
Noah930
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

I would also agree with the sentiment that even if you think you prefer one model over the other, the Carrera and 964 are similar enough (unless you're splitting hairs) that it's better to buy a good condition car than it is to get the exact model. I might prefer a 964 to a Carrera G-body. But I would much rather have a nice, mechanically-sound G-body, than a so-so maintained 964.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah930:
911Jetta (02-20-2020), Sirenty (02-20-2020)

Quick Reply: 911 comparison