Sponsored by:

Diagnosing non cancelling indicators

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 06:27 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Diagnosing non cancelling indicators

I am diagnosing non-canceling indicators while my steering wheel is off. The indicators do stay "on" in either position but cancel irregularly or not at all. Whether or not the high beams are on seems to play some role in their behavior. Starting with the mechanism connected to the stalk assembly itself - can anyone post a description of how it works?

For instance see last pic in series - I thought manually pushing the little finger facing the steering shaft as I am doing with the red pry tool would result in cancelling but it has no effect. In the last pic can see some loose plastic bits inside the assembly. Before I diagnose issues with the horn contact ring etc I'm wondering if the behavior I'm seeing is totally wrong and means I need a new signal assembly or to try and refurb mine.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:18 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

If it is the switch assembly at fault I'm somewhat shocked to see it reasonably priced. Can this be right? i am aware there are many versions of this part depending on cruise control, OBC etc. Does anyone know where the part number of the existing switch would be listed?

https://www.delawareporscheparts.com...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D
Old 03-08-2020, 07:42 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes - there are many versions depending on what options your car has.
M130 is instructions in English
M288 is headlight washer
M454 is cruise control
M562 is front airbags
M659 is onboard computer (in the tach)

The PET will show which version you need depending on your options.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:56 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Check the cancel ring on the wheel is ok, the bit sticking out on the bottom flicks that white piece of plastic to cancel. It maybe worn down or broken. Try putting some tape on it to see if it is worn, 2 layers of insulation tape may work!
Old 03-09-2020, 12:40 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Thanks - since I have nothing to compare it to I dont know how my contact ring looks. I did follow the alignment procedure printed on it, tried reinstalling it twice to make sure I didn't mess it up. See anything untoward ?

Old 03-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

it’s hard to tell in the picture; are you pushing in on the nub with the red pry tool? Did you try sweeping the nub up like the contact ring would do?

If that works, it may be that your stalk assembly may have slid down the steering column so the contact ring can’t reach the nub anymore. You could try pulling it back up the column. I forget if something tightens it to the column or not.
The following users liked this post:
Laker (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 04:45 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sirenty
it’s hard to tell in the picture; are you pushing in on the nub with the red pry tool? Did you try sweeping the nub up like the contact ring would do?

If that works, it may be that your stalk assembly may have slid down the steering column so the contact ring can’t reach the nub anymore. You could try pulling it back up the column. I forget if something tightens it to the column or not.
I've tried all sorts of action with the red pry tool from pushing to sweeping and can't get the indicators to cancel at all. It would be most helpful if someone can describe what kind of action on the shaft-facing-key lets call it produces what sort of effect on the stalk.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:57 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sounds like the stalk slid down and away from the cam ( as Sirenty noted)
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...n-signals.html

Quick Reply: Diagnosing non cancelling indicators